P1000 Need suspension help

98taco4x

May 29, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My work just recently purchased a 1000 and our intentions were to put our spray unit into that was in our Polaris ranger 6x6 but the transmission went out. Here is the problem the unit has a 100gal tank on it and the suspension just will not carry the load. (No issue on Polaris and yes I know it was a 6x6 with 2 extra coil overs but they don’t make it any more and don’t want a belt drive tranny) we did adjust the rear springs all the way up but that didn’t help. With 90 gallons the front end almost comes off the ground. Question is do they make rear coil over that would increase the load capacity?
84EB8F9A 0B9C 4BC2 9030 026534600320
B2019B8A CEA4 4940 BDB2 C9BD35BDDE2C

98taco4x

May 29, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It gets hauled to the job site daily and multiple times a day. It is never in the same location for more than a couple hours at a time over several miles in a day. And the terrain can be very rough and through woods

Reactions: Isaiah
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
My work just recently purchased a 1000 and our intentions were to put our spray unit into that was in our Polaris ranger 6x6 but the transmission went out. Here is the problem the unit has a 100gal tank on it and the suspension just will not carry the load. (No issue on Polaris and yes I know it was a 6x6 with 2 extra coil overs but they don’t make it any more and don’t want a belt drive tranny) we did adjust the rear springs all the way up but that didn’t help. With 90 gallons the front end almost comes off the ground. Question is do they make rear coil over that would increase the load capacity?View attachment 205112View attachment 205113
I would contact Elka or Walker Evans and they can spec a rear shock and spring for you. Probably cost around $1k.

G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Seems like being able to drop the trailer anywhere and or hauling it anywhere is perfect unless the terrain is so bad. That big tank on top of the pioneer actually looks dangerous and could cause a easy tip over. The pioneer would be good with the trailer and much safer. JMO

D

DDDonkey

Looks like your over working the Pioneer..... If available I would look at the can am defender 6x6 or the flat bed model. I know you said you don't want a belt but you have a lot of weight past the rear wheels.

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this is probably pointing out the obvious, but you've 830lbs of water, plus 40+ lbs for the engine...damn near putting you at 900lbs for those two items. That mounting base and hitch support bracket look to be built pretty damn HD...so I'm, guessing that stuff plus the reel/hose is well over the 100lbs of rating left. I'm not 100% sure on this because I haven't dug into the manual, but if that rating is less based on overall payload (of driver/passenger) similar to trucks overall ratings....that machine is grossly overloaded.

That being said, spring spacers won't do anything but compress your springs even further leading to failure. As stated above, you could contact a shock manufacturer and have them build you a custom shock set up with a very heavy spring. Or, you can see if someone could build you a customer spring for the stock shock....keeping in mind that the valving in the stock suspension simply won't dampen effectively with that payload regardless of a heavier spring.

But, even if you have a shock custom built to handle that load, Honda's payload rating isn't simply based on JUST the shocks ability to handle that weight. It's based on the the chassis's ability to handle that weight, which includes not only the frame, but the suspension bushings, wheel bearings, brakes, shock mounts, etc. This also includes what the drive train is rated to compensate for. You'll be putting your engine, trans, sub-trans, clutches, and drive axles through a workout, to say the least.

If you are going to regularly carry that much weight, I would expect a very high rate of maintenance and repairs in the future. Even more so seeing the issues that arise from guys just adding lifts/huge tires/portals/etc. It all adds stress on components that just weren't engineered to handle that extra stress. And I certainly wouldn't be driving it in anything other than low-range with that load.

Just my two cents...(bearing in mind that I always ear on the side of precaution and preventive maintenance). I love my Honda's but I don't think it's the right machine for the job you're asking for it to do.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@michdave is right, we’ve had internet issues here and I could not see the photos.

That cargo looks to be way over payload. If you are in rough terrain like you say then that looks very dangerous. Honda claims 1000lb payload but that would be around the farm on flat ground. That is more than 50% of the weight of the machine it’s not going to handle it well in rough terrain. 200-300lbs makes it handle very differently.

I would look at a Kubota or the CanAm 6x6 I think they both have a 2000lb payload.

edit: kubota is 1000# payload, Can-am 6x6 has a @1700# payload and the box is only rated for 1000#

you might consider a trailer for that weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaiah and michdave
advertisement
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like a lot of leverage working on the hitch extension, shorten up some and attach under pump area +

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I would start by finding a set of takeoff load leveling shocks from a 5 seater. Should be able to find them cheap from someone that upgraded to Fox shocks

Reactions: Vikes79 and JTW
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Can you put a 60 gallon tank on it?

I run a 60 gallon Sprayer in my P1k5, but don’t have all that heavy motor, frame, and reel either. Pasture spraying can be very rough too.

AE931530 A548 4F48 8F3A 22DFDC479535

Mounting the Reel on the front would help too.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I must agree with some of the above posts. Particularly about your receiver hitch mounted support. It seems almost certain that you will torque up the rear part of your frame with that amount of leverage twisting on it after hitting a few sharp bumps. Plus, the P1K's wheelbase is simply too short for this application. I'd be afraid that if you go up any sort of grade, the liquid in your tank would put the center of gravity far enough rearward that you could risk tipping over backward. Fix yer Polaris and keep this one as your fun machine. Be safe.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!