P500 Need tire advice from the folks that know

fester

fester

Apr 22, 2018
Boonevilles, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Went for a ride yesterday on Mt. Magazine in western Arkansas. Currently running stock 24" tires on stock wheels. For most rides I can go where all the big boys go until today. Today my little shetland met its match. So I am now looking for some more clearance. What is the best way? I am not worried about width as much as cost so I would like to keep my factory wheels. I was thinking of getting 27/9/12-27/9/11 tires. How much clearance will that really give me? Will the benefit be worth the cost? If I'm to tippy I can add spacers later.

Reactions: JACKAL and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Went for a ride yesterday on Mt. Magazine in western Arkansas. Currently running stock 24" tires on stock wheels. For most rides I can go where all the big boys go until today. Today my little shetland met its match. So I am now looking for some more clearance. What is the best way? I am not worried about width as much as cost so I would like to keep my factory wheels. I was thinking of getting 27/9/12-27/9/11 tires. How much clearance will that really give me? Will the benefit be worth the cost? If I'm to tippy I can add spacers later.
As far as tires, you get 1/2 of the overall height increase, in theory. For example, the 27"s are 3 inches taller than the 24", so you would get 1.5" of height gain. I say in theory, because we all know that the stated size of tires is often not accurate, so we need real numbers to get the actual increase.

The cheapest thing would be cranking the preloads all the way to Max (if your model has adjustment on the fronts, as later models do), and call the chiropractor.
Second would be a spacer or bracket lift, if any are made. The right front of the 500 already binds a bit at full droop, so I don't really like the idea of those adding to the problem (the spacers wouldn't do anything as far as that, but again, call the chiropractor for those).

The ultimate solution is @jak9922's long travel kit, but at that point I'd just go buy a bigger machine.

The most common is what you propose with larger tires and wheels spacers to keep things upright.

Last edited:
Lilred500

Lilred500

Keep it on the rubber side
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
That’s what I’m running now I haven’t scraped anywhere I used to not even close well worth the cost.
0185760E A6AC 49B5 81B3 8DA0B103D777

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I Just put 27/9/12 all the way around on my machine. I think that’s about as big as you can go on the front without clearance issues. Check out Chaparral at chapmoto.com that’s where I get all my atv and motorcycle tires. Their prices are hard to beat and their customer service it top notch. If price is a priority I wouldn’t be afraid to go with any of the big horn or dirt tamer knockoffs. Also you will be surprised how much better new tires perform over the stock ones , I can go places in 2wd now that I had to use 4wd in before.

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I Just put 27/9/12 all the way around on my machine. I think that’s about as big as you can go on the front without clearance issues. Check out Chaparral at chapmoto.com that’s where I get all my atv and motorcycle tires. Their prices are hard to beat and their customer service it top notch. If price is a priority I wouldn’t be afraid to go with any of the big horn or dirt tamer knockoffs. Also you will be surprised how much better new tires perform over the stock ones , I can go places in 2wd now that I had to use 4wd in before.
I have their BH knock offs (P500 - New Tires. ) and I am very pleased with them.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I put 26x9x12 Roctane XD tires on my OEM rims the day I got the P500. Those oem tires are close to 23" not 24" and the Roctanes run a hair big, they are close to 27" tall. Not a great mud tire but does well all around for trails. That was over 4 years ago, no flats to date.

20150812 094349 zpscm6cjerb

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put 26x9x12 Roctane XD tires on my OEM rims the day I got the P500. Those oem tires are close to 23" not 24" and the Roctanes run a hair big, they are close to 27" tall. Not a great mud tire but does well all around for trails. That was over 4 years ago, no flats to date.
X2, Roctanes are tough!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Mine were tough as well. Tough to keep air in...
If you run lower pressure they get dirt in bead and leak down. Break them down and clean up the bead really good and air it back up, should stop the leak.

Reactions: Lburou and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you run lower pressure they get dirt in bead and leak down. Break them down and clean up the bead really good and air it back up, should stop the leak.
Nah. Mine started cracking at the tread blocks. Another member in the thread i linked to had the same issue. Don't know if the cracks went all the way through, or they just let debris get in and puncture, but I was shoving several plugs in each tire after every ride. It was so bad that Discount tire warrantied them out after I started forcing them to do the plugging. If you're gonna run roctanes, run high pressure, cause they don't like flexing.

Reactions: Lburou and 500oneer
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
As far as tires, you get 1/2 of the overall height increase, in theory. For example, the 27"s are 3 inches taller than the 24", so you would get 1.5" of height gain. I say in theory, because we all know that the stated size of tires is often not accurate, so we need real numbers to get the actual increase.

The cheapest thing would be cranking the preloads all the way to Max (if your model has adjustment on the fronts, as later models do), and call the chiropractor.
Second would be a spacer or bracket lift, if any are made. The right front of the 500 already binds a bit at full droop, so I don't really like the idea of those adding to the problem (the spacers wouldn't do anything as far as that, but again, call the chiropractor for those).

The ultimate solution is @jak9922's long travel kit, but at that point I'd just go buy a bigger machine.

The most common is what you propose with larger tires and wheels spacers to keep things upright.
i dont know about going to a bigger machine over my kit? it basically falls down to what you are looking for because my p5 has more travel and a better ride then my 1k with the fox shocks. or go to a talon if you want a sport machine and need more speed

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
i dont know about going to a bigger machine over my kit? it basically falls down to what you are looking for because my p5 has more travel and a better ride then my 1k with the fox shocks. or go to a talon if you want a sport machine and need more speed
Prob the closest to a 500 Talon we'll ever get.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
as far as tires are on the p5 the first thing you need to look at is weight of the tire! being only a 475cc engine in a 1k lb sxs its already working good but the low gearing saves it my 2 fav tires on the p5 are the zillas and carnivores

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Ran the stocks for awhile, then went with 5-2 rims in 12” rims running 26x11x12 AMS slingshot mud tires that wear like iron great tire, just rode stiff. Messed about with running stock springs with various length spacers and different stiffness settings on shocks. In the end kept the 5-2 rims, currently running Kenda Bearclaw HT Radials in 27X11x12 on all corners. Rides really well for my needs, that along with Elka Stage 3s, rides handles much differently then stock, really like a different machine, easily 2 gears quicker and pillowy controlled smooth! What I’d recommend is buy radials as they’ll make it ride nicer (in 12” diameter more side wall = smoother ride). Sized in a true 26-27” tall tire, for my 2015 is ideal I’d say. Then if you’re gonna keep it and can swing it get Elka shocks.... thing is you don’t have to do it all at once, taken me from autumn 2014, till last year to get were I’m very pleased with my P5. If you can swing 1 thing.... radial tires, it’ll ride noticeably smoother.
Cheers, happy riding,
j

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I have 30" Interco R-Force on aftermarket rims. This is the lightest 30" tire on the market and the rims are only $45 each (Shipped). Yes, ya gotta cut the frame end off (It does nothing), and maybe spacers would keep you upright longer.. (And toss that sway bar). I don't know about the newer auto shift buggies, but I towed a RZR 1k 4 seater out of the woods last weekend. He had rock crawling tires and blew a front axle, so he was then stuck in 2wd in the mud. After wasting a hour winching up and down hills I just drug him through the mud and up hills to the pavement. So, I don't have any power issues.

Interco also has these in a 27", and those would be a perfect mud/root tire for stock rims and width. Check the interco blem list for a deal.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!