sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I purchased a new ride that had 4 miles on it. When delivered the I4wd light came on but cleared after a short >20mph drive. Initially, I suspected a ghost fault but it reappeared several times over the next week just driving (gently) around the neighborhood. This is my second Talon, the other a 4-seater LV has never had an issue. So, before I took it on the trail, I took it back to the dealer for resolution.

The dealer applied a code reader ( I assume it was the Honda tool) and found 2 brake faults and two i4wd (DTC 61) faults. Since they both revolve around the 4WD module, the modulator on the surface makes sense. They cleared and retested, and the DTC returned. They ordered a I4wd modulator which should be replaced tomorrow. This aligns with the service manual yet I'm not comfortable assuming this is the resolution. Hopefully, I am just being paranoid. I did do a cursory check of grounds and connections before taking it in and also considered the issue was created during the steering wheel mounting at PDI.

1676941481285 1676941511373 1676941551891 1676941611765

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I do not have the codes but am sure the dealer will share the screen snap I glanced at. I have asked for the snap but likely won't get it until tomorrow.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Every error light or code I had on my I-4WD Pioneer were either low voltage from a not fully charged battery or a loose ground wire. This has been a perineal issue with models over the last 6 years, also will cause the EPS light to come on. Every time I ran my machine after sitting a few weeks the lights went off and everything performed as it should. Not saying your dealer diagnosis is wrong, but maybe a simpler underlying issue.

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
Every error light or code I had on my I-4WD Pioneer were either low voltage from a not fully charged battery or a loose ground wire. This has been a perineal issue with models over the last 6 years, also will cause the EPS light to come on. Every time I ran my machine after sitting a few weeks the lights went off and everything performed as it should. Not saying your dealer diagnosis is wrong, but maybe a simpler underlying issue.
This first thing I did was apply a battery tender and charge the battery up. The DTC reappeared with a fully charged battery. I applied a socket to the gnd/pwr connections under the seat and they were tight. I did not take the connection points apart though, which I was why I stated cursory. These are lessons I learned from reading wisdom and experience from you and others such as @HondaTech.
What color? Any pics?
Tonic Yellow

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I do not have the codes but am sure the dealer will share the screen snap I glanced at. I have asked for the snap but likely won't get it until tomorrow.
I got this from the dealer. He stated the top code is the error and the bottom codes were pre-existing. Unless there is a sub translation of U1470-00 I think he sent the wrong snap.

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I got this from the dealer. He stated the top code is the error and the bottom codes were pre-existing. Unless there is a sub translation of U1470-00 I think he sent the wrong snap.
View attachment 375283

I went back to the dealer, and he stated they counted the blinks on the last error to come up with error 61. They are replacing the modulator now. If still an issue, I'll pull the battery and then clean/reseat all the connection points.

H

HondaTech

Honda is transitioning to standard automotive codes for alot of their units. That's why the code numbers look weird.

The top code U1470-00 (61) refers you to look for a I-4wd code and then follow steps for that code. The potential problems are either the i-4wd control unit or modulator.

That's a weird situation since the code actually indicates a problem with the LV system (SCU).

I also see the steering angle sensor fault which is disappointing, I thought they'd fixed that situation. Be on the look out for the LV light to come back on if there is indeed an issue and it's not just a left over factory code.

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
Resolved: Thank you everyone for the ideas and input.

It appears the modulator resolved the issue and has not reappeared after 5 test drives and the trip on and off the trailer. Previously it came on randomly, stayed on, cleared with >19mph. Once came on as I went into reverse with foot on brake. Another symptom noted by someone else was hill assist did not work (I did not try this).

So, for error code 61 or U1470-00 the options were:
1. Modulator (resolution this case)
2. Grounds or common connection points
3. Brake switch (brake activates well before the brake light) adjust brake switch to resolve. (per hondatech)
4. Front shocks not plugged in (per hondatech)
5. Low battery

Last edited:
sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
Honda is transitioning to standard automotive codes for alot of their units. That's why the code numbers look weird.

The top code U1470-00 (61) refers you to look for a I-4wd code and then follow steps for that code. The potential problems are either the i-4wd control unit or modulator.

That's a weird situation since the code actually indicates a problem with the LV system (SCU).

I also see the steering angle sensor fault which is disappointing, I thought they'd fixed that situation. Be on the look out for the LV light to come back on if there is indeed an issue and it's not just a left over factory code.
How can we get the new standard auto codes translator or does it make a difference if blinky codes still exist and the manual points to them?

H

HondaTech

Resolved: Thank you everyone for the ideas and input.

It appears the modulator resolved the issue and has not reappeared after 5 test drives and the trip on and off the trailer. Previously it came on randomly, stayed on, cleared with >19mph. Once came on as I went into reverse with foot on brake. Another symptom noted by someone else was hill assist did not work (I did not try this).

So, for error code 61 or U1470-00 the options were:
1. Modulator (resolution this case)
2. Grounds or common connection points
3. Brake switch (brake activates well before the brake light) adjust brake switch to resolve.
4. Front shocks not plugged in
5. Low battery

The shocks being unplugged and the brake switch wouldn't trigger that code. There would be other codes from those anomalies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!