Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
So recently I have been pondering the idea of building a completely new cage for my P2. My idea is to remove the factory cage from the machine where it bolts on at the bed and dash, and make a new one that utilizes these mounting points. This will require removing the seatbelts, which would be a good opportunity to replace with harness style units. I want to go with a flat top cage as I don't need the current 12" of headroom. I'd also like to maybe make a rear cage that I could mount a spare to, yet still be able to open the tail gate. I think on the rear cage I could tie into the P4 rear cage mounts to make it work. What do you guys think? Anyone done it or tried it?

Something similar to this is what I'm envisioning.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I would have done this a long time ago if I hadn't spent so much for the doors and roof. if you don't have the equipment or supply's a good circle track car builder could whip that up in a day. it would make the thing look awesome. it would also be much safer the Honda roof will just fold on a real hard roll over.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
My thoughts exactly. I know the stock cage is tested and rated etc. but just from the looks of it it doesn't seem that strong. I don't intend on ever needing the cage but if its there I want it strong. Plus I just think a flat top cage would look so much better, not to mention it wouldn't hit so many branches, it would fit in the stock trailer etc. etc.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I like where your going with this. A great opportunity for someone to build a aftermarket roll cage.

Reactions: Tflynn
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I can see where this is a promising idea. Not sure why Honda built in so much headroom on the 700. It doesn't need THAT much, especially if you're strapped in. I'm a pretty tall guy, and my P500 has more than enough headroom to mount gun racks, speakers, etc. The 700 that I sat in seemed cavernous, to the point that I questioned what was Honda's target demographic- retired NBA players? Ha!

TimmyBoy84

TimmyBoy84

Aug 5, 2015
Southern California
Haven't looked at the specs for the 1000 but is that cage shorter? Or cuz its a boxier look it just looks more sleak? Be cool if that fit the 700s

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Haven't looked at the specs for the 1000 but is that cage shorter? Or cuz its a boxier look it just looks more sleak? Be cool if that fit the 700s
I'm not sure. I think the 1000 is wider so I doubt it's a direct replacement. That would be cool though.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So recently I have been pondering the idea of building a completely new cage for my P2. My idea is to remove the factory cage from the machine where it bolts on at the bed and dash, and make a new one that utilizes these mounting points. This will require removing the seatbelts, which would be a good opportunity to replace with harness style units. I want to go with a flat top cage as I don't need the current 12" of headroom. I'd also like to maybe make a rear cage that I could mount a spare to, yet still be able to open the tail gate. I think on the rear cage I could tie into the P4 rear cage mounts to make it work. What do you guys think? Anyone done it or tried it?
View attachment 5746
Something similar to this is what I'm envisioning.

For an idea of a rear roll bar mounted swing out spare tire holder look up the unit Polaris has for the XP1K. Latched on drivers side bar and pivots on passenger side bar with clamps and derlin bushings simple but effective allowing quick access to rear end bed space.

DSC05047

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I really like that idea! I was trying to think of something like that. Thanks for the picture!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have been shopping around for harness style seat belts as they will be required for this project since I'm ditching the factory upper seat belt mount. Plus with the factory seat belt out of the way I can run my snorkel inside the cage, at least it looks like ill be able to! Does anyone have a suggestion for a specific harness? I was looking at these. I think they'll work-

Thoughts and opinions please!!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I been looking too. Just havent dont yet. I'm waiting on you. lol.
the ones that Tornador had is Pro-Armor. Here's a few from Amazon. --> http://amzn.to/1Kkfh2B
Not sure which one he used.

Reactions: Tflynn
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I use and like the Beard 4 point safety harness with automotive buckle. They are comfortable and fast & easy to get into and out of, better yet they keep you put in rough terrain.

880 220 02 2

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes I was looking at these too, I think I like them the best. Where did you get them @JACKAL?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yes I was looking at these too, I think I like them the best. Where did you get them @JACKAL?

RM ATV I believe they are $90 each if installing mine this afternoon.

Last edited:
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
RM ATV I believe they are $109 each if installing mine this afternoon.
When adding them to your cart on the website you have to select a vehicle, which did you choose? The pioneer isn't an option.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Last edited:
Reactions: p500fan
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Very nice @JACKAL thank you for the info and links! That's exactly what I needed to know

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
By looking at the stock cage, it appears to be very thin wall tube. I'm guessing 1/16" or so. Do you all think it would be advantageous to build the new cage out of thicker wall tube even though it will still mount up to the original thin wall?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!