New from Michigan - cold start issue

pioneerjay

pioneerjay

Dec 25, 2022
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Merry Christmas, folks! My name is Jay. I'm a new SXS owner - I recently purchased a 2017 Pioneer 1000-5. Has only 500 miles on it, came with installed winch and snow plow. Now since I'm new to the SXS game, I'll say that I'm making discoveries as I go along. My initial reason for buying the pioneer was for yard use, snow plowing and FUN. Everything on the machine worked great in warmer temps. However, my first slap in the face came today as I made my first attempt at plowing. First off, the battery almost always needs a jump when I start in below freezing temps. (I have not put it on a tender and it's roughly 15 degrees outside currently). The engine fires right up on a jump. HOWEVER, as soon as I engage the winch (In/Out), the battery kills immediately. I'm not an expert on amperage or batteries or UTV wiring. But I'm pretty intuitive. I know that a winch pulls a lot of power, and clearly the battery is not ready for it. As I sit here unable to operate my new snow machine, I'm wondering: 1) Is the battery old 2) If I just bought a tender kept the battery on it in cold weather, would that be enough 3) Is something else stealing power, or is power being overdrawn due to a wiring issue. If you encountered this problem with your first UTV, what would be your diagnostic steps to solve the issue? Thanks!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My money says the battery is junk.
Screenshot 20221225 162446 Brave

Buy a new battery. Free shipping and no tax.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Merry Christmas, folks! My name is Jay. I'm a new SXS owner - I recently purchased a 2017 Pioneer 1000-5. Has only 500 miles on it, came with installed winch and snow plow. Now since I'm new to the SXS game, I'll say that I'm making discoveries as I go along. My initial reason for buying the pioneer was for yard use, snow plowing and FUN. Everything on the machine worked great in warmer temps. However, my first slap in the face came today as I made my first attempt at plowing. First off, the battery almost always needs a jump when I start in below freezing temps. (I have not put it on a tender and it's roughly 15 degrees outside currently). The engine fires right up on a jump. HOWEVER, as soon as I engage the winch (In/Out), the battery kills immediately. I'm not an expert on amperage or batteries or UTV wiring. But I'm pretty intuitive. I know that a winch pulls a lot of power, and clearly the battery is not ready for it. As I sit here unable to operate my new snow machine, I'm wondering: 1) Is the battery old 2) If I just bought a tender kept the battery on it in cold weather, would that be enough 3) Is something else stealing power, or is power being overdrawn due to a wiring issue. If you encountered this problem with your first UTV, what would be your diagnostic steps to solve the issue? Thanks!
Welcome to the Club! Take the battery out, charge it then take it to any automotive parts store and have it tested for free, after you have that issue resolved think about a second battery with an Isolator between the batteries, the Club Store sells everything you need for this except the battery. Good luck!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
pioneerjay

pioneerjay

Dec 25, 2022
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the Club! Take the battery out, charge it then take it to any automotive parts store and have it tested for free, after you have that issue resolved think about a second battery with an Isolator between the batteries, the Club Store sells everything you need for this except the battery. Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion and reply. I'm considering adding a few additional accessories later as well. So perhaps getting out in front of that with the new/second battery now would be wise regardless. Right now, I just want to be able to run with winch/plow. Would you also recommend a tender/smart charger as well? My P1K5 is garage kept, but not in a heated garage.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome from Ohio sounds like a junk battery

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

With the engine off, check your battery voltage, should be around 12.6 Start buggy, check voltage, should be 13.5 or above.

The battery is almost 6 years old, that's where I'd start.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Like the others said, replace the battery, it's junk. Opinions vary on battery tenders, some use them some don't. I never have and have a '16 that's still on the original battery but I run it often which seems to help. If your machine is going to sit a lot then I'd recommend one.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I agree with most on here, your battery is weak. Keeping it on a tender would help if you don't operate it enough this time of year to keep it charged. I don't use one but I operate my machine regularly. But I will also add that, being in your location, a battery warmer will do wonders but you still have to have a good battery. I put a battery warmer on mine because I got caught with my pants do on my old side by side I used to own when the temp drop real cold. Had a good battery but is was just to cold. It was -30 with wind chill yesterday and I plugged the battery warmer in for about 2 to 3 hour and cranked over fine. With a fully charged battery the cold can rod as much 60% of your cranking amps. Warming the battery gives you 100% of your cranking amps when you need it most when you engine oil is cold and thick. I also run the Honda synthetic oil in the engine and the trans. The battery warmers are used widely in Canada.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
1st Welcome from central upstate N.Y
Many good people & information on the Honda forum AND they LIKE PICTURES.

This crowd will be happyto help you <> empty check book <> load C.C. <> spend retirement <> lower your net worth

Plowing & repeated Winch use
Stock Battery <> Not Sufficient Enough <> for Repeated Heavy Amperage Draw of Winch.
Trouble free plowing equals
New Battrey <> & <> DUAL BATTERY kit with isolator ( club store item )

Have done several these ( Optima full size Yellow ) mounted under driver seat <> some Consider this Over-Kill
Better <>2 much than <> 2 little
Pictuers are of <> Dual Battrry set up <> under seat of 2022 P520 with Service Door thru side panel.

Have <> Poatable / Flexable SOLAR PANEL set up on this one <> use in storage <> or <> take with you "option"
Set up to charge the weakest battery1st. then the other & auto on/off as needed.

20220701 125025 20220701 125214 20220701 125506

Last edited:
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yea, I don't plow so these guys can help you better than me. I know using the winch will suck the power. I seen a guy the other day that mounted an electric cylinder to the plow instead of using a winch. They draw a lot less amperage.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy from Oklahoma and welcome to the club. A battery tender works great for me in the winter or summer if it is going to be setting for more than a couple of weeks. I got over 7 years out of my OEM Yuasa battery.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome Jay! If your zip code is correct, where bouts in $hitmore Lk do u live? My first house was on 9mile just off East shore. My Brother inlaw owns Macs On the lake

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have not put it on a tender and it's roughly 15 degrees outside currently).
Also like stated above, your battery is toast, bad cell, on its way 6’ under! First thing u do before u put gas in, put your underware on or take your morning dump is buy a new battery! Also, weve been at 0 the past few days, not good for great batteries.

Thanks for the suggestion and reply. I'm considering adding a few additional accessories later as well. So perhaps getting out in front of that with the new/second battery now would be wise regardless. Right now, I just want to be able to run with winch/plow. Would you also recommend a tender/smart charger as well? My P1K5 is garage kept, but not in a heated garage.
eventually a second battery yes. I like to see all my accessories on that second battery. Leave your main for starting and all the OEM on board start/run stuff. And yes, recommend a tender when not using it.
AA1D2BD1 B52F 4437 AD05 6C7E6D60C73B
45A640D5 6749 4DAC A196 6DD160C0EF20

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!