P1000 New guy questions

W

Waf4011

Jul 25, 2021
Pittsburgh
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello all. Have about 100 miles on my 1000-5 deluxe. Getting ready to tinker. Two questions I have after reading all the great posts here.

1. Anyone have a preferred mount for a 12" LED bar on the front bumper? It looks like that top tube is smaller, which is where I was thinking of mounting.

2. Should I bother with an on/off/keyed switch for my accessories? I am about to start my first foray into wiring up accessories, and I was thinking how much simpler tying in to the cigarette lighter would be than wiring both the lighter and the switch.

And, if it is worth doing both, is there a premade harness set for that switch (dpdt) that people recommend?

Thanks for your time.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hello all. Have about 100 miles on my 1000-5 deluxe. Getting ready to tinker. Two questions I have after reading all the great posts here.

1. Anyone have a preferred mount for a 12" LED bar on the front bumper? It looks like that top tube is smaller, which is where I was thinking of mounting.

2. Should I bother with an on/off/keyed switch for my accessories? I am about to start my first foray into wiring up accessories, and I was thinking how much simpler tying in to the cigarette lighter would be than wiring both the lighter and the switch.

And, if it is worth doing both, is there a premade harness set for that switch (dpdt) that people recommend?

Thanks for your time.
There's a blank "accessories" circuit in the fuse box you can tap into. I suggest powering a separate fuse box with key on power.

Lots of threads on wiring accessories, and yes.....for a 12" bar on the front bumper, that top tube is a common place. Good luck

Pics or it didn't happen!!😂

W

Waf4011

Jul 25, 2021
Pittsburgh
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Fair enough on the pics! I have the factory roof and the SuperAtv flip up windshield. Still to be installed: pbr plate and switches, 12" bar and pods in the front, small led side, rear led cube, front and rear dome, Honda winch, 72"plow, dual battery setup. Have all the parts except the front bar mount. Just gotta find a couple days.

PXL 20210910 212911876
PXL 20210906 145653160MP

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What JenElio and Remington said. Keep the light bar up a bit so it stays away from trouble.

Also, there are several fuse box wiring threads and I highly recommend a key on power (KOP) relay to a fuse box.
I used a positap on the Acc. fuse to power a relay to the fuse box.
The huge benefit is you can easily add more schtuff (which is your destiny) and you can avoid the messy, hard to find, in-line fuses.

These links will help:

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wired a accessory fuse block thru a stinger to the second battery. The stinger is energized by the key on power so there is no chance of accessories draining the battery. Arrow is stinger and circled is accessory fuse block.

20210718 192530

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks for your time.
Hours of entertainment and ideas right here:

W

Waf4011

Jul 25, 2021
Pittsburgh
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I forgot to say I did get the stinger and fuse box and true isolator etc. I have been reading all the threads and watching videos etc. As far as the wiring, my plan is set except for deciding whether or not to add the switch to have the ability to have both key on power and switch on power. I've seen videos that mention using that dpdt switch, but they didn't mention if there was a plug and play harness to wire that switch to, or necessarily show how they did it. I also wonder if that switch is a necessity. I guess if I had a radio it might be nice, but I don't think I need one (yet).

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Club Store here used to sell a plug n play harness, but I can't remember if it was switched or KOP.
I bought one from a parts dealer and it wasn't the right part. But hey, whenever I want to install the back up lights, I've got the harness in hand.
Doubling back on the light issue, I put two round lights up on the ROPS by the rear view mirrors so they will shine over the top of my plow in winter. If you're going to use a plow, that's a consideration.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!