P500 New Machine, noise?

T

Tim

Jun 8, 2015
I just took my new machine for a maiden voyage. All is well except when I am going down a hill. When I let off of the gas slightly, I get a loud kind of grinding noise. It does not sound like an engine noise. I think it is coming from the drive train. If I let off of the gas completely; I do not hear the noise. I do not hear the noise on a level road.

Has anyone else experienced this noise or make know what is causing the noise?

P.S. The machine is a blast

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
its normal, rear diffs tend to moan and groan a little, some have tried synthetic oils to help, just turn the radio up the noise will go away. Oh and welcome to the group also,

Reactions: bobbyhill
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome, Sounds like you're describing the square cut gear noise, but can't say for sure.

If so it gets significantly quieter over time, changing the gear oil out for 90w140 or similar also helps.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gear oil not motor oil, to clear up any possible miscommunication.

T

Tim

Jun 8, 2015
Thanks, for the help. Just a little paranoid, I suppose since it is new. I will try the different gear oil if it does not calm down.

My first ATV, what a blast.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I had the same noise when I first got mine I thought they forgot to put oil in the diff lol but its common for all pioneers after a while you tend to tune it out and not really hear it any more but like ohnanacreek said change to a syn oil maybe a little heavier should help ill be doing that this weekend also front and rear

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @Tim !!

H

hponda

Sep 15, 2015
I just took my new machine for a maiden voyage. All is well except when I am going down a hill. When I let off of the gas slightly, I get a loud kind of grinding noise. It does not sound like an engine noise. I think it is coming from the drive train. If I let off of the gas completely; I do not hear the noise. I do not hear the noise on a level road.

Has anyone else experienced this noise or make know what is causing the noise?

P.S. The machine is a blast
I have a similar noise in my new machine. it sounds like somethings rubbing on the gears. I called a mechanic where I purchased the machine and he said his had a noise like that. It made me feel better, I just hope it is normal for the hp500 they are a cool machine.

Reactions: bobbyhill
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @hponda !

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!