KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Hello Everyone,

Joined the forum to research the Pioneer 500 and 520. Considering a purchase and trying to convince the Hubs to ditch our problematic Kawaski Teryx 750 for a Pioneer. A riding friend has a P500 that I like, which has towed us in many times... yes you read that correctly... I said MANY! I love to trail ride! Honestly, I prefer to drive more than ride, and the worry of being towed in yet again... is ruining the experiences for me. So.. time to upgrade.

I have no preference on new or used. Looking for info on reliability, performance, pricing, years or models to avoid, etc. Also looking for info on mods that can be done and ones that are must-dos! We don't do any real difficult riding currently, However, I would like to get into more technical stuff in the near future. Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum from Canton, OH.
The P500 drive train is certainly proven to be reliable. It is not a plush ride so know that going in. Skid plate is a must for trails. Winch is a must if riding solo (machine count not body count). Pretty much everything after that is whatever you want. You can spend 2 or 3x the machine cost if you want. If you plan to put on bigger tires plan on going wider with either offset rims or spacers. A triggershield is a solid and inexpensive item. Snorkel and extend vent lines or avoid water more than about knee deep. Vent line on the gas tank is susceptible to water from washing the machine after rides you'll find if you read the older posts on here.

Red is the fastest color!

#NTC

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi, Welcome to the club.
500 vs 520 is really down to if you want (like) the dump bed or the rack?
I personally like the dumb bed and don't see a need for the rack anymore.
A set of spacers with 26 or 27" tires and it is a very capable machine.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome the forum. Much good member experience here and a great search feature. Good topics on modifications how-tos and comparison of P500 models before and after 2017 upgrades to automatic transmission if looking at used machines. Lots of new stuff on P520s and thoughts on rear rack vs dump bed as well. As said, these are almost bulletproof.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome the forum. Much good member experience here and a great search feature. Good topics on modifications how-tos and comparison of P500 models before and after 2017 upgrades to automatic transmission if looking at used machines. Lots of new stuff on P520s and thoughts on rear rack vs dump bed as well. As said, these are almost bulletproof.
I was told this was a great group and the definitive place for good info. So I should look for 2017 or newer. Good to know. Thanks!

Last edited:
KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Hi, Welcome to the club.
500 vs 520 is really down to if you want (like) the dump bed or the rack?
I personally like the dumb bed and don't see a need for the rack anymore.
A set of spacers with 26 or 27" tires and it is a very capable machine.
Thanks. I could go either way with rack vs dump bed. Hubs is very partial to our current dump bed setup on our Teryx. I will admit it makes cleaning the underside much easier.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the best forum on the web.
The 520 is a new drive train in this chassis but proven in the quads. The 500 is bullet proof. The ride is going to suck in either one of them until you get some aftermarket shocks and even then you'll have limited travel. As for accessories...as much as you want to spend and turn wrenches.
This is the support group for all things Honda sxs related, we won't steer you wrong. If it's an issue we've seen it, discussed it and fixed it. :cool:

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Totally agree.. Red is my favorite color! Blue is the Hubs preference. Riding friend's is Green.. and Camo is only something for hunting purposes IMO.
Welcome from Alabama.

If you spend time on this forum you will soon see that many believe the Red ones are the fastest, the Green ones go deeper, I forgot what the Blue ones do, but I can say from experience Camo are really the fastest, we blend in so well the other colors cant see us pass them. Of course you have to pay attention to where you park a camo Pioneer so you can find it when you want to leave. :cool:

There is even a poll that @JeremieBaker put together on the fastest color which you can see here:

https://hondasxs.com/threads/the-official-which-color-is-fastest-poll-thread.24617/

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I was told this was a great group and the definitive place for good info. So I should look for 2017 or newer. Good to know. Thanks!
Here’s something with pages of rear rack ideas. I like the ability to change up rear setups. Seems like golf cart beds have more square footage.

advertisement
Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello Everyone,

Joined the forum to research the Pioneer 500 and 520. Considering a purchase and trying to convince the Hubs to ditch our problematic Kawaski Teryx 750 for a Pioneer. A riding friend has a P500 that I like, which has towed us in many times... yes you read that correctly... I said MANY! I love to trail ride! Honestly, I prefer to drive more than ride, and the worry of being towed in yet again... is ruining the experiences for me. So.. time to upgrade.

I have no preference on new or used. Looking for info on reliability, performance, pricing, years or models to avoid, etc. Also looking for info on mods that can be done and ones that are must-dos! We don't do any real difficult riding currently, However, I would like to get into more technical stuff in the near future. Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Hey, welcome from NW Louisiana. You have discovered a gold mine of info here.

#NTC

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello Everyone, I would be riding it now

Thanks in advance!
WELCOME from NW Arkansas! If the P5 would have had a factory dump bed in 16, I would be riding it now. I love the looks of the new P52. Will through it out there, a front locker would be nice in additions the other mod recommendations. Happy trails, ride safe!

1border4manu

1border4manu

Supporting Member
Jul 4, 2019
Zephyrhills, Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Central Florida, you can not go wrong with the P500 or P520. Have fun with your search and you will love whatever machine you end up with. Where we ride a roof is a must have.

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I did what you are doing, got all sorts of questions answered by going through this forum. I had never owned an ATV or UTV, always had dirt bikes. Honda was my choice and I now own a new 520, which I am very happy with. Good luck with your quest.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Made our decision! We purchased a 2020 P500 in Moose Brown. Used but basically brand new... 73 miles/13.6 hours.
8BBE1608 D5FD 4A91 9226 0FB8C7B95F85

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Red is the pointiest color. Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the forum. LET THE ACCESSORIZING BEGIN!

Reactions: KyGal83

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!