P1000 New Owner Sand Tire Question - Rears Only or Not

ttechnology

ttechnology

Lifetime Member
May 26, 2018
Seattle
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We just purchased a 2017 P1000 LE. It came with Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires. So far, as of 25 miles, so good.

We are considering going to the Oregon Dunes later this summer and I've heard that the stock Bighorns are not wonderful on sand. Not having a huge budget, I was wondering if I would get adequate performance using my Bighorns on front and getting sand tires for the rear. Sand is only going to be an occasional thing. What does experience tell you? Also, any currently recommended sand tires? (I've read the posts but things change over time.)

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We just purchased a 2017 P1000 LE. It came with Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires. So far, as of 25 miles, so good.

We are considering going to the Oregon Dunes later this summer and I've heard that the stock Bighorns are not wonderful on sand. Not having a huge budget, I was wondering if I would get adequate performance using my Bighorns on front and getting sand tires for the rear. Sand is only going to be an occasional thing. What does experience tell you? Also, any currently recommended sand tires? (I've read the posts but things change over time.)

We went to coose bay OR once last summer, with deflating the stock big horns down to 8psi in the front and 10 psi in the rear. It gave us a wider foot print and more flotation. The p1k did good enough for us in the sand. We will probably end up going to the dunes again but it’s not our normal go to with the rig. Paddles will help, but you might find with the additional added traction that the engine won’t have the power to turn them fast enough. I could do all but 15% of the steepest and biggest dunes there. But I don’t feel it was because of the stock tires, it was because it’s a heavy rig with only 70+ hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

RiverratTX

Jun 11, 2018
Austin, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used to be an avid Glamis ATV and sand rail duner. I would never consider front paddles. A set of rear paddles on aluminum is all I thing you will need front paddles will create more ruts to drive through. You should research glamis dunes boards. Most UTVs run narrow smooth fronts to aid in steering and the goal is to stay on top of the sand and always keep momentum. You could run in 2wd for better handling if you are trying to roll with the dunes. I plan on going this winter in our new2018 1000-5 LE.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!