P1000 New Owner, tire question.....

CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives

Jun 10, 2017
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got my 2017 1000eps3 on friday, I already had a set of four ITP Hurricanes sitting here waiting, I also ordered a set of 29" Maxxis VIPR's planning to mount them up over the weekend, they shipped one front an one rear VIPR on wednesday and the other two on thursday.
First thing I did was measure them, the front was an honest 27" and the rear was barely over 26" keep in mind these are 29"x11x14 rears and 29"x9x14 fronts, says it right on the sidewall, and I know they will grow when inflated but no way will they hit an honest 29", here's the second and what I see as bigger problem, the one front tire is an honest inch taller than the other, the rears are very close only about a half inch or less overall diameter difference in those, not enough to worry about.
So my question, should I mount these up and not worry about it or send the smaller front tire back and get another one, or maybe even send all 4 back and get the GBC dirt commanders which was my second choice, I chose the VIPR's because they are radials, Maxxis reputation for quality, and the tread pattern being perfect for what I do.
All help and thoughts are appreciated......

Drew

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined.

About those tires, the height is rated at max PSI so they probably would reach 29" or very close. I went through the same thing with some 30" EVOs. Also, inflate them 3/4 of rated pressure and leave them over night and they will grow some more.

Congrats on the new rig, show us some pics of it.

CP: I've been saying that since that jack wagon was picking Legos from his turds:)

Reactions: sharp and JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
BTW, where are you in Ga?

CP: I've been saying that since that jack wagon was picking Legos from his turds:)

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Glad that you joined us. Lots of great knowledge and experience here.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from WV

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Got my 2017 1000eps3 on friday, I already had a set of four ITP Hurricanes sitting here waiting, I also ordered a set of 29" Maxxis VIPR's planning to mount them up over the weekend, they shipped one front an one rear VIPR on wednesday and the other two on thursday.
First thing I did was measure them, the front was an honest 27" and the rear was barely over 26" keep in mind these are 29"x11x14 rears and 29"x9x14 fronts, says it right on the sidewall, and I know they will grow when inflated but no way will they hit an honest 29", here's the second and what I see as bigger problem, the one front tire is an honest inch taller than the other, the rears are very close only about a half inch or less overall diameter difference in those, not enough to worry about.
So my question, should I mount these up and not worry about it or send the smaller front tire back and get another one, or maybe even send all 4 back and get the GBC dirt commanders which was my second choice, I chose the VIPR's because they are radials, Maxxis reputation for quality, and the tread pattern being perfect for what I do.
All help and thoughts are appreciated......

Drew
They will work ok but they will bump and rub some.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from SE TN. Show us pics!!! Are you in northern ga by any chance? We got several members in this area.

CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives

Jun 10, 2017
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the welcome, I'm in Athens. Since I posted I took some time to bring myself back up to speed on the UTV tire market which as you guys know evolves at breakneck speed, so I decided to send these back (Im sure I'll have to eat the shipping) and get a set of 28x10x14 Sedona Rockabillys, I think the age of staggered sizing might be behind us now.
I also have a bad dawg roof and superatv windshield coming this week, with any luck I'll get everything on and upload a couple pics by week's end. One other question, can someone direct me to a thread or threads about chopping down the rollbar, it's something I would definitely like to have done if it's not too big of a project, there are quite a few metal fabrication shops close by.

Reactions: Plumber32 and pct
CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives

Jun 10, 2017
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hurricanes and 28" Rockabillys on, plenty of clearance no rubbing.

IMG 3649

advertisement
CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives

Jun 10, 2017
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Should be here tuesday, messing with the alignment today, ridiculous how toed out these things are from the factory.

S

Stans1005le

May 31, 2017
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
New member, what's a better tire for utility as I am on the road way more than mud. Have a new 1000-3 le an these stock tires are wearing out quick SW tenn on Pickwick Lake

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New member, what's a better tire for utility as I am on the road way more than mud. Have a new 1000-3 le an these stock tires are wearing out quick SW tenn on Pickwick Lake

Small Truck tire for 14" rims wear a lot better. Most UTV/SXS tires are much softer compound.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ive been looking at those rockablillys lately, i wanted the maxxis carnivores until ive heard they get eaten up by the road pretty bad. Those look awesome mounted up!
By road do you mean hardpack or pavement? I would already have a set but haven't been able to find them

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
pavement is what i have been told wears them out real fast but im sure hardpacked wouldnt be as bad. they are on back order (depending on size) till something like september or oct. I am hoping that the Maxxis Rampage will be out by the time i absolutely have to have some tires. from the website they sound like they might be more light truck style and hold up a little better.

There is another tire i just saw today for the same PA crawler and Rockabilly style.... It was a pitbull Brazen and they have them at discount tire. Its a 8ply and dot rated.

of course there is also the Journey out now that is an 8 or 10 ply (i cant remember) version of the original big horn.

Reactions: GlockMeister
S

Stans1005le

May 31, 2017
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Unfortunately pavement thx for all replies will check into small truck tires. Has anyone bought sxs tires that held up on pavement thx SW tenn

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
mongrels hold up very well on pavement. and ive heard good things about the crawlers too.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!