New Owner Tomorrow (Probably)

T

TheBreeze

Jan 6, 2017
Van,Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello folks from Tx

Planning on being an owner tomorrow of a new white 1000 5 Dlx.

I know they have some problems but any special advice before I buy?

The shifting bang will get better over time right??

Some heat shield work for seat and a mild air intake fix.
Mine will not see water or mud on purpose.
Want to do mountain trail riding.

Thanks for all the good reading

Eric

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Alaska! It seems you've looked over the forum pretty well, so I won't go into all the great things here. Are you getting a 2016 or 17?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a couple of suggestions.

Even if you don't plan on riding through mud or water, I would still run the vents on the fuel tank, sub trans, and front and rear diffs higher. I don't know the terrain you will be riding, but I've never been through any mountains that didn't have some water crossings, or any trail that didn't have some standing water or muddy spots. I'd seriously consider snorkeling, also. @CumminsPusher 's first machine was destroyed by water splashing up over the hood through a puddle that wasn't even as deep as the height of his tires. I don't try to play in water or mud, but at times I have no choice but to go through it to get to where I want to go.

Full undercarriage skid plates. Honda should be ashamed of what they put on this machine.

Winch. Even if you don't plan on being stuck, they can help you get out of sticky situations in steep terrain and such.

Everything else is personal preference. If you plan on adding lights, sound, etc. definitely look through all the threads on adding a second battery. Heck, even if all you add is a winch I would add one. Let the stock battery run the machine and the second battery everything else.

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
Just a couple of suggestions.

Even if you don't plan on riding through mud or water, I would still run the vents on the fuel tank, sub trans, and front and rear diffs higher. I don't know the terrain you will be riding, but I've never been through any mountains that didn't have some water crossings, or any trail that didn't have some standing water or muddy spots. I'd seriously consider snorkeling, also. @CumminsPusher 's first machine was destroyed by water splashing up over the hood through a puddle that wasn't even as deep as the height of his tires. I don't try to play in water or mud, but at times I have no choice but to go through it to get to where I want to go.

Full undercarriage skid plates. Honda should be ashamed of what they put on this machine.

Winch. Even if you don't plan on being stuck, they can help you get out of sticky situations in steep terrain and such.

Everything else is personal preference. If you plan on adding lights, sound, etc. definitely look through all the threads on adding a second battery. Heck, even if all you add is a winch I would add one. Let the stock battery run the machine and the second battery everything else.
Dam that is one hell of a SXS survibel spech.:) Amen my brother ;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Dp5hunyer hi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Goodnight buddy super happy you're ok and have wifi! Take it easy down there talk soon

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Same to brother and sleep well and dream of the next trail.:rolleyes:

Never anything but! If it's a good dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dp5hunter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!