New p1000 issues, limited to 43mph, smoking muffler mounts!

H

highcountry71

Jul 17, 2022
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just picked up my 2022 yesterday and with less than 15 miles on it I’m already having issues. No power now like it had at first. Max speed is 42 mph. Put it back in the garage to find it smoking like crazy from a muffle bracket mount that was smoldering and possibly some other parts. This is not the product I was hoping to get in return for waiting forever to get this model.
DB9628B7 C638 4CF2 8C35 F3F51267A1B1
E12D5638 81A7 4AB3 8673 B3052355F78E C45EE236 FB74 4CCD A819 E67642990992

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Oh my..
I'd be calling the dealer and raising some caine for sure.

Ya looks like it wasn't popping on 1 cylinder and burning the fuel in thr exhaust causing it to overheat, melt stuff, and who else knows what.

Please keep us updated.

And please stick to this thread with updates.
I will be closing the others.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Don't despair. It's brand new and covered under warranty. Call your dealer first thing tomorrow or, better, deliver it to your dealer when the doors open tomorrow.

The trouble is most likely some minor issue that will be quickly repaired. I doubt anyone here with the possible exception of our member Honda techs has seen a similar problem with a new machine.

H

highcountry71

Jul 17, 2022
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don't despair. It's brand new and covered under warranty. Call your dealer first thing tomorrow or, better, deliver it to your dealer when the doors open tomorrow.

The trouble is most likely some minor issue that will be quickly repaired. I doubt anyone here with the possible exception of our member Honda techs has seen a similar problem with a new machine.
That’s part of my concern. On the paperwork I had to sign it stated that they did t warranty anything during the break in period which made no sense to me. Due to the supply chain issues I had to drive 3 hours one way to a dealer who had this machine so I sure hope the warranty does cover it and will allow me to use a dealer closer to home.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That’s part of my concern. On the paperwork I had to sign it stated that they did t warranty anything during the break in period which made no sense to me. Due to the supply chain issues I had to drive 3 hours one way to a dealer who had this machine so I sure hope the warranty does cover it and will allow me to use a dealer closer to home.

Are you certain about the document you signed? It makes no sense if it's not a misunderstanding. Could it be interpreted out of context? Can you scan and post it here?

I can't conceive of any reason Honda would refuse warranty repairs for a product failure during the break-in period unless it was clearly the result of owner abuse or neglect. In my (long) experience, no special break-in procedures have ever been required or followed. I've always driven them "like I owned them" meaning the opposite of "drive it like you stole it."

Was it an in-house document presented just before the F&I Mgr. offered to sell you an aftermarket warranty?

There's a Honda powersports dealer less than 10 miles from my home that rarely has any inventory and doesn't service units he didn't sell so I had to travel 3 hours to the dealer where I bought my Pioner. I like the dealer personnel so I trailer the machine back to them for service.

I've purchased many new Honda products including a'73 CB450, an '05 CR/V, a '10 Goldwing, a '12 Pilot, a '14 Goldwing, a '20 Talon, and the '21 Pioneer I have now plus a used '08 ST1300. We've only had two problems with all of them.

The Honda Pilot had an electrical issue the day we bought it. The windshield wipers would park normally when turned off but when we opened a door the wipers would move to the center of the windshield. The local dealer worked on it numerous times but it always returned. My wife drove the car 90,000 otherwise trouble-free miles and we traded it off. Never an isue with Honda's warranty.

Don't worry yourself about it. Honda will stand behind it. But . . . I have to admit in the current economic situation we're in parts availability could disappoint.

The other was a failure of a series of relays in the '10 Goldwing when it had 93,000 miles on the odometer. Honda repaired it without complaint under the extended warranty.

You can trust Honda. Dealership knowledge, skill, integrity, and attitude may vary.

H

highcountry71

Jul 17, 2022
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Are you certain about the document you signed? It makes no sense if it's not a misunderstanding. Could it be interpreted out of context? Can you scan and post it here?

I can't conceive of any reason Honda would refuse warranty repairs for a product failure during the break-in period unless it was clearly the result of owner abuse or neglect. In my (long) experience, no special break-in procedures have ever been required or followed. I've always driven them "like I owned them" meaning the opposite of "drive it like you stole it."

Was it an in-house document presented just before the F&I Mgr. offered to sell you an aftermarket warranty?

There's a Honda powersports dealer less than 10 miles from my home that rarely has any inventory and doesn't service units he didn't sell so I had to travel 3 hours to the dealer where I bought my Pioner. I like the dealer personnel so I trailer the machine back to them for service.

I've purchased many new Honda products including a'73 CB450, an '05 CR/V, a '10 Goldwing, a '12 Pilot, a '14 Goldwing, a '20 Talon, and the '21 Pioneer I have now plus a used '08 ST1300. We've only had two problems with all of them.

The Honda Pilot had an electrical issue the day we bought it. The windshield wipers would park normally when turned off but when we opened a door the wipers would move to the center of the windshield. The local dealer worked on it numerous times but it always returned. My wife drove the car 90,000 otherwise trouble-free miles and we traded it off. Never an isue with Honda's warranty.

Don't worry yourself about it. Honda will stand behind it. But . . . I have to admit in the current economic situation we're in parts availability could disappoint.

The other was a failure of a series of relays in the '10 Goldwing when it had 93,000 miles on the odometer. Honda repaired it without complaint under the extended warranty.

You can trust Honda. Dealership knowledge, skill, integrity, and attitude may vary.
Read above my signature.
2D6A42A2 07E4 40F3 8F96 93BC2C1C833C
2D6A42A2 07E4 40F3 8F96 93BC2C1C833C

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks for posting the doc.

The key word is "service." The doc you signed is probably part of a sales pitch to be ignored. I suspect someone was trying to sell you a "maintenance plan" and trying to "baffle you with bs to convince you.

Initial break-in service as the dealership defines it probably refers to the first recommended service which is due at 400 miles. The doc says it's not covered by the warranty. That's a fact.

Service is always owner's responsibility. Honda warranty is a legal and binding promise to pay for replacement of parts that fail in ordinary operation not due to owner abuse or neglect.

Forget about it.

H

highcountry71

Jul 17, 2022
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for posting the doc.

The key word is "service." The doc you signed is probably part of a sales pitch to be ignored. I suspect someone was trying to sell you a "maintenance plan" and trying to "baffle you with bs to convince you.

Initial break-in service as the dealership defines it probably refers to the first recommended service which is due at 400 miles. The doc says it's not covered by the warranty. That's a fact.

Service is always owner's responsibility. Honda warranty is a legal and binding promise to pay for replacement of parts that fail in ordinary operation not due to owner abuse or neglect.

Forget about it.
Ok that makes me feel a little better. Still concerned this will be remedied by the time I need it. I purchased this to take to Canada at the end of the month and now doubt if I can use it. Very frustrating.

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok that makes me feel a little better. Still concerned this will be remedied by the time I need it. I purchased this to take to Canada at the end of the month and now doubt if I can use it. Very frustrating.
On the bright side, just be thankful u got it in time to take to Canada. most folks are still waiting!

Either way, get to them today. Load that sucker up and show up when the doors open and be stern! Unfortunately with the way thing's are handled u might have to be that way. But I hope u dont.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Break the problem down into parts.

First challenge is to get the machine back to the dealer asap for diagnosis. This one is in your control and key to a favorable outcome.

Dealer service tech may find something as simple as a plug wire that fell off. Wait for his inspection and report.

If a repair part is required that could be a problem. A good parts department can do more than submit an order if they want to. Talk nice to them. Be friendly and develop a partnership with them. If they like you they might be able to expedite a solution.

If you run into what appears to be a wall, share it here. The Honda dealer techs here can offer insider advice from their experience.

H

highcountry71

Jul 17, 2022
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
On the bright side, just be thankful u got it in time to take to Canada. most folks are still waiting!

Either way, get to them today. Load that sucker up and show up when the doors open and be stern! Unfortunately with the way thing's are handled u might have to be that way. But I hope u dont.

No kidding. Been waiting myself. The unit I was supposed to be getting July 29 from a dealer much closer got pushed back another month so when I heard about this one, I jumped on it. Never thought I’d be needing to spend another 6 hours of road time taking it back already. If they can fix it before my trip I’ll be happy to make the drive though. Unfortunately the dealer is not open today.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Order a set of plugs based on @HondaTech recommendation. $45 in parts is probably cheaper than your time round trip to the dealer. Keep your receipts and submit to your dealer for reimbursement. They may not pay you, but you never know. Most dealers are at least 1-2 weeks out for appointments for service.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Order a set of plugs based on @HondaTech recommendation. $45 in parts is probably cheaper than your time round trip to the dealer. Keep your receipts and submit to your dealer for reimbursement. They may not pay you, but you never know. Most dealers are at least 1-2 weeks out for appointments for service.
Any decent dealer should crowd a new unit to the front of the line and they should be apologizing for the inconvenience. Be sure they know you're headed for Canada SOON and that's why you bought it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!