P500 New P520 leans to the passenger side

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
If you swap tires left-right the tread will be backwards. But you already knew that :)

After 5k miles I noticed the factory mounted my left rear tire ‘backwards’ on the rim. So it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi,

I have non-directional tread and the same wheel and tire at all 4 corners, so it won't matter if I swap them. I know it's hard to tell from my pictures the set up I run.

I measured a bunch of things this weekend, and still can't quite narrow it down. I'm going to adjust the preload on all 4 corners up one click. I figure that will all of the mods and extras I have added, it needs it any way. I hope that helps even things out a bit. I also plan on getting more air in each tire, 6-7 is pretty low and I want to go to an honest 8psi in each tire.

The next step will be new shocks. Then I should know for sure if something is bent or not.

Rob

Reactions: Mudwing and Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hi,

I have non-directional tread and the same wheel and tire at all 4 corners, so it won't matter if I swap them. I know it's hard to tell from my pictures the set up I run.

I measured a bunch of things this weekend, and still can't quite narrow it down. I'm going to adjust the preload on all 4 corners up one click. I figure that will all of the mods and extras I have added, it needs it any way. I hope that helps even things out a bit. I also plan on getting more air in each tire, 6-7 is pretty low and I want to go to an honest 8psi in each tire.

The next step will be new shocks. Then I should know for sure if something is bent or not.

Rob
Why isn't the dealer helping you? Did you not tell them? Or they don't care?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Long story, but I was forced to buy my P520 out of state and trailer it back to Omaha. I don't have a relationship with my local dealer, so I feel like I am stuck figuring it out on my own. And I did call the local dealer prior to my first oil service: they were 3 weeks out and wanted my machine for a week. no thnaks...

I will keep looking to see if I can find the culprit. either a have a tire with a weak sidewall or a shock that has a saggy spring. I would doubt the frame is tweaked or the suspension is bent. We seriously haven't done anything with it that would tweak anything.

Rob

Reactions: Jerryg
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
To me.... it looks like one rear tire is a different shape than the other. The right one looks flatter and the left looks taller. You could try using your level and measure from the top of each tire to the floor....

Last edited:
Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Ok, so I have to ask, did you ever run it with the stock tires on it or did you put those tires on it before ever running it? Also, did you only notice it right after you changed the tires? One other question, when you strap it do you collapse the suspension or tie down from an A-arm? I have a Rancher & a Big Bear that sit like that from always collapsing the suspension when I would tie it down. Learned my lesson the hard way.

Reactions: rustyneversleeps
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Ok, so I have to ask, did you ever run it with the stock tires on it or did you put those tires on it before ever running it? Also, did you only notice it right after you changed the tires? One other question, when you strap it do you collapse the suspension or tie down from an A-arm? I have a Rancher & a Big Bear that sit like that from always collapsing the suspension when I would tie it down. Learned my lesson the hard way.
Do you have a picture of how you have it strapped with the A-arms? This has been my fear trailering it like the Honda manual suggests.

Reactions: Smitty335
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

I ran it for about 30 miles the first week we had it in the mountains of Colorado near Leadville. It had the stockers on for these miles. Now I have 130 miles on it and they have been on the new wheels and tires. I did not notice it while I had the stockers on, but I didn't get a good chance to look at it either.

I've had it on the trailer for about 700 miles bringing it home. I tied it down in the front via the bumper and at the rear with the supports the A-arms bolt to, just as the manual says. Recently I have equipped my trailer with the Erickson system that straps the tires down and allows the suspension to move during trailering. I can't imagine that one trailer trip home for 9 hours would have caused this much damage.

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
To me.... it looks like one rear tire is a different shape than the other. The right one looks flatter and the left looks taller. You could try using your level and measure from the top of each tire to the floor....
To be honest, I am starting to wonder if this is the root of all the issue. Even if the tire pressure is the same, maybe the internal tire structure is not the same and makes that corner sag.

Tonight, I will measure from the top of the tire to the ground and then from the top of the tire to the bottom of the bed. More fun to be had guys! be back soon.

Rob

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
I doubt 700 miles would do any permanent damage also, but you never know. I didn't not know when it started on mine, but I had been doing it for years, so who knows? Seems more like everything centers around the changing if the tires to me.

Do you have a picture of how you have it strapped with the A-arms? This has been my fear trailering it like the Honda manual suggests.

Yes sir. I need to add another attachment point to the front so the axle straps aren't against the wheel, but here is the front.

IMG 20210712 141506312

IMG 20210712 142356493

And here is the rear.

IMG 20210712 142212264

IMG 20210712 142218940

Don't get me wrong, I would love to strap just the tires, but since I only have one trailer and my gear thrown on the trailer changes every trip, I have to be able to shift weight accordingly. That means a different anchor point almost every time.

On another note, by not using the suspension I notice a major difference in how the trailer rides. The 520's suspension now acts as a great big dampener in the wind and on rough roads. Wish I had known about it years ago with the quads.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I doubt 700 miles would do any permanent damage also, but you never know. I didn't not know when it started on mine, but I had been doing it for years, so who knows? Seems more like everything centers around the changing if the tires to me.

Yes sir. I need to add another attachment point to the front so the axle straps aren't against the wheel, but here is the front.

View attachment 283266

View attachment 283267

And here is the rear.

View attachment 283268

View attachment 283269

Don't get me wrong, I would love to strap just the tires, but since I only have one trailer and my gear thrown on the trailer changes every trip, I have to be able to shift weight accordingly. That means a different anchor point almost every time.

On another note, by not using the suspension I notice a major difference in how the trailer rides. The 520's suspension now acts as a great big dampener in the wind and on rough roads. Wish I had known about it years ago with the quads.
Thanks man, I was debating on strapping mine up with the A-arms, but just went with what the Honda manual said. I am gonna to go your route going forward to hopefully save some of the life of the suspension. Thanks for posting the pics!

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks man, I was debating on strapping mine up with the A-arms, but just went with what the Honda manual said. I am gonna to go your route going forward to hopefully save some of the life of the suspension. Thanks for posting the pics!

No problem. You won't regret it. I know a lot of dirt bike owners that have blown out fork seals doing it too. That's why they make a brace for them.

Pcfs1

Reactions: Farmer
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Rob, measure tire radius for true 'height'.

cory b

cory b

May 7, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all,

I did a quick search in the P500 forums to see if I could find a thread about Pioneer 500/520s leaning to one side or another. I could only find a thread in the P1000 forums, but a P500 owner has the same issue.

My P520 leans to the passenger side. I can only assume it is because of the weight of the fuel. I keep a full tank and fill it up after each ride.

Does anyone else have this? Am I missing something that I should be looking for as a reason it leans? The reason I ask is: the dealer I purchased the Pioneer from was rushed to get it put together for me and missed a few nuts and bolts here and there. A couple of the ROPS bolts were missing as well as a couple of skid plate fasteners. The Pioneer made a terrible racket as the skid plate banged around and the ROPS did the same. Its much quieter now that I have everything bolted together... or do I?

Thanks,

Rob
Mine does the same thing, i didnt notice it until i parked in the garage. If you come up with anything let me know it looks exactly the same

• Wow
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Just a quick update guys:

I inflated the tires to 8psi, up from 6psi. That helped a bit, but the 520 still is not all that level. I did swap tires from side to side on the rear, it didn't do anything to how much it leans.

I did measurements from the the bottom of the frame to the top and it seems symmetrical. It still looks like it may be a shock thing, but I still wonder about the extra weight from the fuel, gas tank, additional skid plate, fuel pump... the only item I have visibility into its weight is the fuel at 42 pounds.

If I have time this weekend, I may swap shocks left to right on the rear to see if that does anything. Next is moving the preload up one notch to see if that helps. If it's still leaning, then I may need a dealer to help with it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Rob

Reactions: Bigtee and Jerryg
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I looked at the pictures again. Put the level on the roof. Is it also tilted?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I looked at the pictures again. Put the level on the roof. Is it also tilted?

I will grab a picture tonight. The front of the machine looks to be level, just the back end is off. And its not just the bed.

Rob

• Angry
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!