P500 New Pioneer 500 with Tracks

E

Eyeput50

Aug 23, 2018
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey guys, I have been enjoying all the info about P5 on this forum, lots of great ideas and information. I am looking into buy a P5 and putting tracks on them. The dealer near me quoted me $15,700 for a 2018 with tracks. I have searched the forum looking for track info (along with the rest of the web) and have found little info. I was wondering if anyone here has had any new updates to the P5 tracked world. Also if anyone has put tracks on anything else, would you have the dealer do it or do it yourself? My overall plan is to groom a neighbors land for cross country skiing. I am guessing I'll be towing about 200lbs (professional groomers weight like 500lbs). It seems like this would have enough power to do it, but I thought I'd ask the people riding them daily. Thanks for any help/advice!

dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
They have an example on YouTube just punch in pioneer 500 with tracks the video shows a p500 pulling a bunch of sleds
Make sure to post pictures when you get yours done
Good luck

Reactions: 100Acre and Eltobgi
D

Duckhunt

Welcome! Here in nordern Minnersotah you betchya eh dem tracks are all over da place in snow. But seriously never owned them but have driven with them, power steering is a must if you're doing anything more than going across a frozen lake. It'll wear you out quick. Also (maybe you've done all this research - I apologize if so) look at the sprocket size and do the ratio to tire size. Like Mattracks have a 14" sprocket, so that's 58% "ground travel" of a 24" tire per revolution. Meaning your new max speed is .58 x 41mph = 23.78 mph, in high gear bouncing off the rev limiter. Just an fyi, seen guys here get them and don't do the math beforehand and are in for a rude awakening.

On that note, getting a set that's made for an atv or smaller UTV, they're as easy as bolting on wheels & tires, although you may need spacers between.

Good luck. I always thought they're cool.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
My experience with rubber tracks has not been good.I built spinach harvester capable of cutting 15 tons per hour.I put a set of Mat-trac's on it.The rubber tracks small space between the grip bars packed up bad with mud and the machine just sat on top of the ground and would not move.I replaced these with a dual tire set-up that worked 100% better.I had very high hopes that they would have worked out because of the gearing advantage you gain by the small diameter of the drive sprocket on the tracks.Anyway,there is a useless set of 15,000 dollar tracks setting at our shop.I can't speak for how they will do on snow,but in my case ,in light,slick,dirt conditions,they failed big time.The grip lugs can't be very tall or spaced out on rubber because they will just fold over.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome form the same state as you! Nice to see another fellow Michigander on the forum. Where abouts in northern Michigan you from? I have a cabin in the Gaylord area.
As for tracks, @tr005 has them on his P1K5. He may have some insight for you.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I honestly wonder how the P5 would perform on these tracks in deep powdery snow or roads that have not yet been groomed. Also there is that one point towards the end where they’re towing all those sleds on a slight incline and it seemed to have difficulty getting over a little hump. I wonder as well how it would do on a much steeper incline.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
M

maddmax

Feb 12, 2015
Clarksdale Ms.
Ownership

1. 500
I honestly wonder how the P5 would perform on these tracks in deep powdery snow or roads that have not yet been groomed. Also there is that one point towards the end where they’re towing all those sleds on a slight incline and it seemed to have difficulty getting over a little hump. I wonder as well how it would do on a much steeper incline.
Better get a locker!

Reactions: Mudder
E

Eyeput50

Aug 23, 2018
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I have seen this video, I believe these guys are pulling a little more weight than I would so I'm hopeful. I understand the reduction in speed, which doesn't bother me at all, I'm usually grooming at around 5-7mph anyway. I am located in the Boyne City area. I will look into all suggestions.

Thanks

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve worked on a few snow cats professionally, it’s unbelievable how much ungroomed snow robs power. I worked on a hagglunds bv206 that could do 25 mph on dirt. But try to drive it up a 5 percent grade with 12” of fresh snow and it could only do 4 mph in low range. Just food for thought
32ba4a8050f74ccdbd3d8ad70debd2f7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 100Acre
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome from northern IL.

I wonder how/if tracks effect fuel mileage?

E

Eyeput50

Aug 23, 2018
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
To add a little more info (obviously not personal experience), I had a little email correspondence with the other P5 on tracks you can find on the internet (he is showing it off as his new hunting expedition tool). He said it works great in the snow and he would take it over a snowmobile. I'm not trying to start that debate or saying one way or the other. He said he has done no modifications and he and his son hauled 40 1/2 plywood sheets in the snow with it. My assumption is flat land, but that's still 1800lbs! He seems fairly confident in it, but like I said its hard to know without having tried it. Having done my fair share of research, most people in the grooming world suggest/prefer a yamaha kodiak/grizzly (700cc ATV) with tracks to groom. Personally my wife loves the look and the idea of the P5. I think it will do the job, just trying to do as much research as humanly possible.

Reactions: 100Acre and popeye
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I drove a 06-08 Polaris 500efi ranger on tracks 11 miles down some high line right of ways with a bed full of tools to get back to our lmc cat. To repair the tracks. It took us 3.5 hours to get to it with the hammer down the whole time. In low range we were running it so hard the seats were getting hot, and we were having to peel back layers of clothing. That’s a lot of heat when the engine is behind you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

Eyeput50

Aug 23, 2018
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wow, popeye! Thanks for that, those are things I was hoping/hoping not to hear. Maybe I'll reach out to some of the oil companies around here to see what is their experiences with them. I know the dealer has sold some to them. That sounds like a real big "beware"

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know I'm kinda comparing apples to oranges, and ive never drove a 500, but assuming you will be grooming fresh snow, dragging a grooming attachment, my guess is you will be in low range 1st gear because 2nd gear low range will be working it to hard.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And the thought of moving to Idaho it was my plan to eventually buy tracks for my P5. So all of this is very helpful information to me as well. I’ve tried to research as much as I can about the subject but there is very very little information about tracks on the P5 and how well it performs. In any of those conditions

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
Hey guys, I have been enjoying all the info about P5 on this forum, lots of great ideas and information. I am looking into buy a P5 and putting tracks on them. The dealer near me quoted me $15,700 for a 2018 with tracks. I have searched the forum looking for track info (along with the rest of the web) and have found little info. I was wondering if anyone here has had any new updates to the P5 tracked world. Also if anyone has put tracks on anything else, would you have the dealer do it or do it yourself? My overall plan is to groom a neighbors land for cross country skiing. I am guessing I'll be towing about 200lbs (professional groomers weight like 500lbs). It seems like this would have enough power to do it, but I thought I'd ask the people riding them daily. Thanks for any help/advice!

I just purchased and installed Kimpex Commander WSS4 track system on my 2017 P500. I have had very little use at this point as winter hasn’t hit yet. I’ll share what I can with you: Due to some physical restrictions, it took me about 4 hours to completely install...the second time would be half that. Returning to wheel drive takes about 40 minutes. Driving on gravel, trails, rocks etc. is rougher than tires and you have to think “slow it all down”. You really feel rocks and logs etc. Though able to use four season, I can’t think of many reasons to do so but I’m a senior and likely don’t go very “extreme”. I bought them to extend my winter activity, getting firewood, ice fishing and exploring...speed isn’t a goal. The traction is amazing...I’ve driven along swampy creek beds and gone where wheels would never go. The steering is harder as expected and really need to be moving to steer. Because of the gearing change, it is louder due to higher RPM’s but I don’t think that the little 475 engine is lacking power at all. Outside to outside width is now 60” give or take 1/4 inch. They add about 20 inches of total length and 420 pounds. I researched different brands and chose the Kimpex Commander 1. A bit lower price and 2. I was a mechanic...these have double bearings in the idlers as opposed to single and the bearings are standard/replaceable individually. The other “common” brand offers neither of these. Hope this all helps, questions are welcomed.

5C143E8A 574C 4487 89F0 3D657909C6D5 FBE76D62 8E44 4BE4 A155 D98A46EFC3A9 A55476F3 5A82 4AB4 B05F 4DBF66BA323F

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just purchased and installed Kimpex Commander WSS4 track system on my 2017 P500. I have had very little use at this point as winter hasn’t hit yet. I’ll share what I can with you: Due to some physical restrictions, it took me about 4 hours to completely install...the second time would be half that. Returning to wheel drive takes about 40 minutes. Driving on gravel, trails, rocks etc. is rougher than tires and you have to think “slow it all down”. You really feel rocks and logs etc. Though able to use four season, I can’t think of many reasons to do so but I’m a senior and likely don’t go very “extreme”. I bought them to extend my winter activity, getting firewood, ice fishing and exploring...speed isn’t a goal. The traction is amazing...I’ve driven along swampy creek beds and gone where wheels would never go. The steering is harder as expected and really need to be moving to steer. Because of the gearing change, it is louder due to higher RPM’s but I don’t think that the little 475 engine is lacking power at all. Outside to outside width is now 60” give or take 1/4 inch. They add about 20 inches of total length and 420 pounds. I researched different brands and chose the Kimpex Commander 1. A bit lower price and 2. I was a mechanic...these have double bearings in the idlers as opposed to single and the bearings are standard/replaceable individually. The other “common” brand offers neither of these. Hope this all helps, questions are welcomed.

View attachment 89421 View attachment 89424 View attachment 89425
Looks bad to the bone!

Reactions: Bastardchild
NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
Winter weather will always increase fuel usage. From the fall experience with the tracks I estimate a tank will last 65% of wheel usage. Higher rpm, and working harder will come at a cost...and the fuel tank is small.

Reactions: Farmer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!