A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Looks good.

I ran 2 runs of CAT6 that was rated for direct soil burial. I have a switch at the jack that runs an additional access point for my WiFi mesh system and then run a hardwired connection to my 6TB raid array that lives in the fireproof residential security container . My internet is 9M down and 0.3M up. When I have to upload something big I use my iPhone as a hotspot. I am looking very hard at Viasat to replace the DSL I have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running Raid for redundancy or performance? Satellite is gaining traction to be reliable and fast to bring high speed to rural areas the data caps keep me from buying it. My "highspeed" internet was just cut off we had a unlimited hotspot through a third party with Verizon no data caps I was using 200-300gb of data a month with 40mb down 15mb up consistently. Verizon started canceling the companies lines on clients who used 400gb or more caused the company to shut down.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man the shop plans look great.

I use the Arris surfboard white 32x8 with a Linksys AC5400 house is 2 story 4000sqft I can pull this anywhere in the house and 100ft/pool away I can pull 100 down 20 up. In my shop I only get like 2 down 2 up so I just hotspot off my phone but the shop is like 150ft away. What to run a hard line out to it one day like the bathroom one day lol.

IMG 2900

Reactions: ohanacreek
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Running Raid for redundancy or performance? Satellite is gaining traction to be reliable and fast to bring high speed to rural areas the data caps keep me from buying it. My "highspeed" internet was just cut off we had a unlimited hotspot through a third party with Verizon no data caps I was using 200-300gb of data a month with 40mb down 15mb up consistently. Verizon started canceling the companies lines on clients who used 400gb or more caused the company to shut down.

The raid is my primary backup solution so I use it for redundancy. When I moved where I live now cloud backups became impossibly slow. Weekly I copy the contents of the raid to a western digital portable drive and take that to the bank and put in a lot box. I have five drives the rotate for that task.

Yes I have seen a few disasters in business caused by lack of backup or untested backups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
On are garage we ran a drainage grate about two feet inside on the overhead doors then sloped the floors to the doors, if you pull your car in wet it drains to the door not the center of your shop and second you want to keep your drainage grate as far away from your work area as you can because if you drop anything from any hieght it will roll around corners and half way across the shop to drop through the grate.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks good.

I ran 2 runs of CAT6 that was rated for direct soil burial. I have a switch at the jack that runs an additional access point for my WiFi mesh system and then run a hardwired connection to my 6TB raid array that lives in the fireproof residential security container . My internet is 9M down and 0.3M up. When I have to upload something big I use my iPhone as a hotspot. I am looking very hard at Viasat to replace the DSL I have now.
Similar setup already with a larger RAID. I have lost so much info in the past that was not recoverable that a RAID was my paranoid option.

VIASAT won’t work for me they will not work with a Corp VPN...I’ve tried several options including starting a WISP for faster internet and nothing has worked, we have a $15 month Hotspot device for when we NEED fast internet.

Man the shop plans look great.

I use the Arris surfboard white 32x8 with a Linksys AC5400 house is 2 story 4000sqft I can pull this anywhere in the house and 100ft/pool away I can pull 100 down 20 up. In my shop I only get like 2 down 2 up so I just hotspot off my phone but the shop is like 150ft away. What to run a hard line out to it one day like the bathroom one day lol.

I have a full network setup with Firewall, POE switchgear to run my security cameras and wireless APs, so I’m gonna run a fiber run to the shop and add another switch. It’s far enough the APs in the house won’t reach out there.
On are garage we ran a drainage grate about two feet inside on the overhead doors then sloped the floors to the doors, if you pull your car in wet it drains to the door not the center of your shop and second you want to keep your drainage grate as far away from your work area as you can because if you drop anything from any hieght it will roll around corners and half way across the shop to drop through the grate.
Especially the last most important bolt, 10mm socket, or your wedding ring.

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Some of this advise is priceless. The grate location had me laughing out loud.
Only experience would make someone think of that!
My last house was on a hill and every time I dropped a socket, it would roll 100 feet, cross the road and hide in the neighbors grass. Current house is on flat land- it was a requirement.

It made me go find this quote as it seems we all have quite a bit of experience here:

“Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.”

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Some of this advise is priceless. The grate location had me laughing out loud.
Only experience would make someone think of that!
My last house was on a hill and every time I dropped a socket, it would roll 100 feet, cross the road and hide in the neighbors grass. Current house is on flat land- it was a requirement.

It made me go find this quote as it seems we all have quite a bit of experience here:

“Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.”

Yes LOL
I have plenty of experience picking things out drainage grate s

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Built mine last year. Dont have electricity in it yet
Added the 3rd smaller 8x8 door for SxS, Mower, etc
Radiant heat barrier

What I wouldve done different
12" overhang needed
Gutters
Insulated doors

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!