P1000 New Soft Top

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after countless hours of research about lightbars, winches, secret comparents, etc, I wimped out and decided to play it safe and make my first mod a top.

I'm not a huge fan of the hard tops, because frankly if it's not crazy hott or raining, I prefer the open air feel (of no top). I wanted something that looked clean, was easy to put on/take off (incase of a pop-up shower), and could be easily stored in the machine when not in use.

The market is pretty thin when it comes to tops, and I wasn't ready to drop 200 bucks on Honda's OEM softtop. I loved the look of the Alienshade I've seen on here, but no rain protection with that option. I had my mom help me sew up a top for my RZR before I made the switch, and for some reason she agreed to help me tackle this project (she's getting older, maybe senality is setting in?).

Super light 40D rip stop nylon, a few bungees and a couple grommet kits and we are in business! Couldnt be happier with how it turned out (and how little it cost). Offers shade, rain protection and folds up to nothing. The grommets hold the bungees pretty well when not in use too.

I'll try to get some pics off the machine later this evening, too nice to stop testing now!

Snapchat 1062620442 Snapchat 1424892232 Snapchat 2076054318 Snapchat 2088330344 Snapchat 1985433844

G

garrickg

May 21, 2016
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
THIS has been wha I’m looking for! Sell me one or (if you don’t mind) show some more details to the top. Would a regular sewing machine be able to hem the 40D? I apologize. I am totally ignorant about fabric. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: dnjones161
Zax185

Zax185

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2018
Montgomery, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great work!

Would be interested in knowing how well it work with a windshield and dust.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after countless hours of research about lightbars, winches, secret comparents, etc, I wimped out and decided to play it safe and make my first mod a top.

I'm not a huge fan of the hard tops, because frankly if it's not crazy hott or raining, I prefer the open air feel (of no top). I wanted something that looked clean, was easy to put on/take off (incase of a pop-up shower), and could be easily stored in the machine when not in use.

The market is pretty thin when it comes to tops, and I wasn't ready to drop 200 bucks on Honda's OEM softtop. I loved the look of the Alienshade I've seen on here, but no rain protection with that option. I had my mom help me sew up a top for my RZR before I made the switch, and for some reason she agreed to help me tackle this project (she's getting older, maybe senality is setting in?).

Super light 40D rip stop nylon, a few bungees and a couple grommet kits and we are in business! Couldnt be happier with how it turned out (and how little it cost). Offers shade, rain protection and folds up to nothing. The grommets hold the bungees pretty well when not in use too.

I'll try to get some pics off the machine later this evening, too nice to stop testing now!

View attachment 84217 View attachment 84218 View attachment 84219 View attachment 84220 View attachment 84221
Looks very nice

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 84217 View attachment 84218 View attachment 84219 View attachment 84220 View attachment 84221
Tell Mama, if she is up to it, she probably can get a booming business going!

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
THIS has been wha I’m looking for! Sell me one or (if you don’t mind) show some more details to the top. Would a regular sewing machine be able to hem the 40D? I apologize. I am totally ignorant about fabric. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh I may get around to convincing her to make a few more to throw on eBay eventually but I don't think I'm gonna tell you anything you couldn't figure out on your own if you want to give it a go!

We just went into Joanne fabric and asked for their "nylon ripstop". They have a couple different ones, I like the stuff that you can see the square pattern in. It's a little thinner and more foldable, let's more light through too. This can be ordered on Amazon for kite making, but only in one yard sections. To avoid an extra seam we got it local.

So we got two yards of fabric, a batch of 3/8 inch grommets and the tools to put them in, and headed home. She used a standard sewing machine and just normal thread she says. The fabric is suppper thin. I'll keep you all posted on how she holds up.

The measuring was the real pain, but now that we have a template I'm sure they wouldn't be hard to replicate. Sides didn't need cut, just rolled over once and hemmed for the grommets as they come in a 60 inch roll. I forget what the front to back measurement was, something like 67.5 inches between the roll bars? We kept it an inch short to keep the tension up. I wouldn't leave it on going down the road on the trailer, but at 30-40 mph driving it's hanging tight!

Reactions: Ragnar406 and BWAF
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And thanks for the positive feedback guys! Hoping I can contribute to all the great info on the forum. This place is amazing!

Rousseau

Rousseau

Jun 8, 2017
Central, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have been looking for a top for over a year. Like you, not a fan of the hard top. Like the open feel but do need a top on occasions.
If you are selling some I would be interested. If not, any other instructions would be appreciated. Would pay for templates and directions if needed.
Thanks
Rousseau

Reactions: dnjones161 and BWAF
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been looking for a top for over a year. Like you, not a fan of the hard top. Like the open feel but do need a top on occasions.
If you are selling some I would be interested. If not, any other instructions would be appreciated. Would pay for templates and directions if needed.
Thanks
Rousseau
Thanks
Rousseau

Thanks man. I think in the next couple of weeks we're going to try to throw a few more together and put them up on eBay. I'll try to update the post here when we get that job done (assuming that's allowed?). If you're interested in making one yourself, I'll be glad to share the exact dimensions with ya next time I get home (my Pioneers at my parents house about an hour away). Just shoot me a PM.

Reactions: BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I like this! And stops rain? I have a hard top that I really don't like, except for rain protection and it's not that great!

advertisement
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like this! And stops rain? I have a hard top that I really don't like, except for rain protection and it's not that great!

It does indeed stop the rain. Now bear in mind that as long as you don't have a windshield and full doors, you're still going to get wet in a torrential downpour. I had it out a couple of times last weekend with light to mild rain and kept dry though. I tried to keep the edges as close to the roll cage as I could while still keeping the top taught. I have been pleasantly surprised thus far.

Reactions: Ragnar406
Rousseau

Rousseau

Jun 8, 2017
Central, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks man. I think in the next couple of weeks we're going to try to throw a few more together and put them up on eBay. I'll try to update the post here when we get that job done (assuming that's allowed?). If you're interested in making one yourself, I'll be glad to share the exact dimensions with ya next time I get home (my Pioneers at my parents house about an hour away). Just shoot me a PM.

Rousseau

Rousseau

Jun 8, 2017
Central, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just thought I would check and see if you thought about making your top for sale. Please keep me updated on your plans.
Thanks

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got materials ordered, my HOPE is to get a couple made next weekend, well see with the holiday. I'll keep y'all posted for sure when I have a couple ready.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update: the first reproduction didnt turn out to be acceptable IMO. Basically I switched up grommets (instead of ordering a 20 pack I ordered a bigger pack in anticipation of making several tops, different brand, not as nice). I've got my original materials ordered and hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll have a few ready to go.

I'm bummed about the timing, but I don't want to send out something half-assed. Sorry for the delay... Updates to continue...

Reactions: Ragnar406 and BWAF
Rousseau

Rousseau

Jun 8, 2017
Central, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update: the first reproduction didnt turn out to be acceptable IMO. Basically I switched up grommets (instead of ordering a 20 pack I ordered a bigger pack in anticipation of making several tops, different brand, not as nice). I've got my original materials ordered and hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll have a few ready to go.

I'm bummed about the timing, but I don't want to send out something half-assed. Sorry for the delay... Updates to continue...
Thanks for the update.
Keep me posted.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Looks great! Unfortunately I use my hardtop as a pivot point around trees far too often for that to survive on my rig, but it looks great. Good job!
I use my hard top as a pivot pinpoint also, I really like these tops, after seeing the first one, realized I would tear the fasteners off in a heart beat. I've been wanting to make rub rails for the top even with the hard top. L bracket made of polymer with slots for fasteners ????????

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use my hard top as a pivot pinpoint also, I really like these tops, after seeing the first one, realized I would tear the fasteners off in a heart beat. I've been wanting to make rub rails for the top even with the hard top. L bracket made of polymer with slots for fasteners ????????
Couple strips of UHMW down the sides. I can get it local cut to any size I need.

Reactions: BWAF
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I've rubbed the straps of my alien shade down trees with no ill feelings or even a damaged thread. I picked up a 20 pack of 8" tarp straps for $5 and it's been cheap insurance incase they come apart but at this point the Alienshade is as durable as the Honda top and a whole lot nicer to ride with.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!