Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
See Adams post earlier in this thread about riding in wet conditions.

The filter covers are water resistant to an extent. They can repel rain but I doubt a serious gully washer downpour. Hopefully you're not riding in that anyway! The Desertcraft air filter itself I am told will not collapse by water like a normal air filter. I'd recommend using the filter cover anyway. And when washing the machine, cover the pre-filter with a plastic bag. Pressurized water will definately push though the filter cover and filter. If that happens, drain the air box.

i did read a bunch of the reviews, and wasn’t super worried but we don’t exactly look at weather reports before riding we just go and rain is actually one of the best times to ride. Was just curious about that and if anyone has had water issue at all being a direct shot down.
I see where some talk about Mudbusters but on stock wheels X I’m not thinking that’ll be too bad?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Mudbusters are one of the best things I ever put on my X. First ride was fairly muddy and I had mud chunks in my shirt collar. I knew the wife would not go for that business! I'd recommend the rears. I don't have the fronts. Adam did not have mudbusters installed during his wet ride. If he had them his filter would not have been very dirty at all.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Mudbusters are one of the best things I ever put on my X. First ride was fairly muddy and I had mud chunks in my shirt collar. I knew the wife would not go for that business! I'd recommend the rears. I don't have the fronts. Adam did not have mudbusters installed during his wet ride. If he had them his filter would not have been very dirty at all.
I second this, w/o the mudbusters the rear wheels would throw baseball size chunks of mud into the cab :oops:

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Love the idea of mudbusters but tried um twice on 700 and twice on 1000, they typically don’t stay on our machines very long lol. The pics I saw didn’t look like filter got pummeled to bad without.

• Haha
Reactions: 906UP and Smitty335
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
carry a gallon freezer bag in your car. If you get into that much rain, throw it over the filter (the bottom will be open to allow some air in) and you probably won't be pushing car hard enough to notice to get you by till rain lets up. you can even throw a WEAK rubber band around the bottom if worried about it coming off (tight enough to keep on but loose enough to allow air to come up from bottom)

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Love the idea of mudbusters but tried um twice on 700 and twice on 1000, they typically don’t stay on our machines very long lol. The pics I saw didn’t look like filter got pummeled to bad without.
I have torn the fronts off once....well a tree did, the rears haven't been a problem yet

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
My custom filters have shipped from the manufacturing plant to Desertcraft. They will perform a quick QC check and then forward them to me. Sometime during the week of 4-11-22 I should have these filters to begin shipping again. Now if I can get the filter cover people to ship those about the same time. Timing with of these different vendors has proven to be a challenge, especially after the Covid interruption!
Filterwears has informed me that my logo covers will be finished 4-8-22 so I should be receiving them the following week! I'm excited about these covers! It's the only place my logo will be on the kit.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
carry a gallon freezer bag in your car. If you get into that much rain, throw it over the filter (the bottom will be open to allow some air in) and you probably won't be pushing car hard enough to notice to get you by till rain lets up. you can even throw a WEAK rubber band around the bottom if worried about it coming off (tight enough to keep on but loose enough to allow air to come up from bottom)

Reactions: BobFarrell
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Looks like the desertcraft does a good job compared to KWT's own results.

HONDA TALON REVIEW 1024x10242x

Reactions: BobFarrell
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I made mine with an inverted tube that is partially under my roof. I also have an Outerwear pre-filter which is water repellent. I inverted the tube to aid water prevention when parked and riding. In dusty group rides I may pat down the Outerwear to knock off heavy dust collected, when I stop. This picture doesn't show the Outerwear that I added over the UNI.

2021 02 08 Snorkle 1

Reactions: CID and 906UP
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Back in 2019 I only knew of one snorkel kit readily available for the Talon, the Warrior riser kit. It was one of the first things I did to my Talon since my riding environment is very dusty. The Warrior kit is made of PVC pipe, and while it worked very well, I liked the design that @highpocket74 came up with better. I winged the holesaw location for the Warrior kit and took out the front bolt hole in the process, but since the 10-80 Dirt Sports kit has a built in plate, it covers up my mistake.

The top part of the hole is where I used a holesaw too close to the edge of the panel, the lower part of the hole is where I cut using the 10-80 kit's template.

I fQcWCmP XL

Now it's all covered up with a neater install.

I pMFmVdS XL

Ready for action, thanks for coming up with a better mousetrap!

I hBXWqD2 X2

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
This is exactly what the purpose of the cover plate is! It will cover a mangled hole cut and look more factory!!

When designing the tube I took into consideration the penetration point and didn’t want to cut any more plastic pieces than necessary (or wiring). Of course this meant a more complicated tube shape rather than a simple 90 degree bend. After several prototypes I finally got the tube down to the simplest shape to make and was VERY happy with the result!!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Back in 2019 I only knew of one snorkel kit readily available for the Talon, the Warrior riser kit. It was one of the first things I did to my Talon since my riding environment is very dusty. The Warrior kit is made of PVC pipe, and while it worked very well, I liked the design that @highpocket74 came up with better. I winged the holesaw location for the Warrior kit and took out the front bolt hole in the process, but since the 10-80 Dirt Sports kit has a built in plate, it covers up my mistake.

The top part of the hole is where I used a holesaw too close to the edge of the panel, the lower part of the hole is where I cut using the 10-80 kit's template.

View attachment 328776

Now it's all covered up with a neater install.

View attachment 328777

Ready for action, thanks for coming up with a better mousetrap!

View attachment 328778
Since you are missing one screw, if you need extra fasteners to hold the cover plate in place, you can drill one or two 5/16" holes on the outside edge of the cover plate and add typical honda push rivets.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Since you are missing one screw, if you need extra fasteners to hold the cover plate in place, you can drill one or two 5/16" holes on the outside edge of the cover plate and add typical honda push rivets.

I thought about doing that or adding a clip nut but I'm satisfied with how secure it is with just the one screw. Great kit, every Talon should have one!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I brought back the intake full kit listing. Apparently I wasn't clear enough on what was included with the individual component listings and how to purchase all 3 for the kit. It wasn't that difficult! So now I'm back to more difficult inventory control since I need to allow for people to purchase additional filters or tubes only. Wix needs to get their bundle feature going so don't need overlapping listings like this.

Mikehallad

Mikehallad

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2019
Highland, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
I thought about doing that or adding a clip nut but I'm satisfied with how secure it is with just the one screw. Great kit, every Talon should have one!

Filters and filter covers are in. I have a few intake tubes in stock with more at paint now. Should have those back today or tomorrow.
Just ordered my full setup!

Reactions: 906UP

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!