New Talon Pre-filter Snorkel

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I brought back the intake full kit listing. Apparently I wasn't clear enough on what was included with the individual component listings and how to purchase all 3 for the kit. It wasn't that difficult! So now I'm back to more difficult inventory control since I need to allow for people to purchase additional filters or tubes only. Wix needs to get their bundle feature going so don't need overlapping listings like this.
Brian,,,, the filter cover came day before yesterday, it looks cool with your logo on it. The mail man picked up the check today.

Reactions: BobFarrell
B

BrendenS

Aug 1, 2021
Hastings Nebraska
Ownership

1. Talon X
Installed mine today, went well and I'm super happy with the end result. I ordered a little over a week ago on a Friday night not expecting to get it until the middle or late in the week. I received shipping notice on Saturday morning and it showed up on Monday, fast shipping. Quality product.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Installed mine today, went well and I'm super happy with the end result. I ordered a little over a week ago on a Friday night not expecting to get it until the middle or late in the week. I received shipping notice on Saturday morning and it showed up on Monday, fast shipping. Quality product.
That’s great to hear! I try to get my parts shipped same day or next day depending on when the order comes through. Most of my other parts suppliers that I choose to work with are the same way also.

Racerhed

Racerhed

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2019
Ashland OH
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X LV
Bought one last week. Installed it today. Killer!! DD6C7E72 86E1 4A09 9DBA 65FCB274F9BA

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thanks to all you guys for your support. It truly is gratifying to make something that people want and occasionally let me know that they like the product.

Today I was welding another batch of tubes and the very first one would not line up correctly in the tube jig. I tried to make it work but after a little while I tossed it aside for another one. Every tube after that first one fit perfectly. I’ll have to investigate that one to figure out the problem! But that goes to show how welding in jigs will throw a flag when something is off. There is no guessing if the end result will fit when it works in the jigs. Now well over 200 builds and this is only the second tube that didn’t workout in the jigs!! I’m happy with that percentage!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks for the great product @highpocket74 I've had the snorkel installed for a year now, I put a new OEM filter in when I installed the prefilter kit. I have my T1Kx partially disassembled for cleaning & mods and looked in the air box on the dirty side.......WOW! The air cleaner still looks new! I tried the S&B Particle Separator before switching to your design and was still going through 2 filters a season. Thanks again

FYI, I'm using an oiled Unifilter on the snorkel, I have 3 and clean & rotate as needed.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thanks for the great product @highpocket74 I've had the snorkel installed for a year now, I put a new OEM filter in when I installed the prefilter kit. I have my T1Kx partially disassembled for cleaning & mods and looked in the air box on the dirty side.......WOW! The air cleaner still looks new! I tried the S&B Particle Separator before switching to your design and was still going through 2 filters a season. Thanks again

FYI, I'm using an oiled Unifilter on the snorkel, I have 3 and clean & rotate as needed.
Thank you for sharing that! It’s definitely appreciated and encouraging for me to continue spending my weekends welding more tubes.

Uni is a good filter. A lot of people don’t want to mess with oiled filters or won’t maintain them properly so I worked out the dry filter design with desertcraft for convenience. I also did not want to include a junk Amazon filter in the kit.

Sledder

Sledder

May 8, 2022
Washington Stat
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Back from powder coat today. This came out way better than I was expecting!!

View attachment 307390
View attachment 307391
That looks really nice, I had some 3 inch exhaust kit pieces left over so I made this out of stainless steel. I like these because being a performance car guy I know intake corners lower horsepower. I don't like all the ess turns it takes to go through the grill opening.

Making a template using the stock fastener holes makes getting the 3" hole in the right spot easy.

36 39

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
That looks really nice, I had some 3 inch exhaust kit pieces left over so I made this out of stainless steel. I like these because being a performance car guy I know intake corners lower horsepower. I don't like all the ess turns it takes to go through the grill opening.

Making a template using the stock fastener holes makes getting the 3" hole in the right spot easy.

View attachment 369320 View attachment 369321
Restrictions upstream of the air filter are not as critical as those after the air filter. The air filter is like a huge dam in the flow.
You see what I went through with the tube design in that a straight 90 degree bend will not work.

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Back from powder coat today. This came out way better than I was expecting!!

View attachment 307390
View attachment 307391
These early MIG welds were quite ugly. The aluminum was just too thin so I had to buy a new machine and learn how to TIG weld. I'm still no artistic welder but the pieces are solidly fused together. The cover plate in this picture was hand cut with a plasma torch and manually bent on a press. Since this prototype was proven to fit properly they have all been laser cut and CNC bent and TIG welded.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
These early MIG welds were quite ugly. The aluminum was just too thin so I had to buy a new machine and learn how to TIG weld. I'm still no artistic welder but the pieces are solidly fused together. The cover plate in this picture was hand cut with a plasma torch and manually bent on a press. Since this prototype was proven to fit properly they have all been laser cut and CNC bent and TIG welded.
Glad to see you are continuing to refine your product but I hope it also makes production faster and easier for you. I bought mine in June of 22. I don't know your process then but I can tell you I'm happy with it and wouldn't want to ride the AZ desert without it. Keep up the great work and keep building stuff to make the Talon even better!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!