P1000 New to Honda!

R

rodriguez7

Nov 20, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. Other Brand
How’s it going, so I’m in the process of trading in my Kawasaki Teryx4 800, for a pioneer 1000-5 deluxe. The teryx has been very reliable in the 4 years I’ve owned it. How are the pioneers holding up? I’m looking at a 2018 model. The reason im changing over is because of the transmission, and more room, also the teryx is lacking power, compared to everything else on the market. I’m concerned about long term reliability! Thanks guys!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
How’s it going, so I’m in the process of trading in my Kawasaki Teryx4 800, for a pioneer 1000-5 deluxe. The teryx has been very reliable in the 4 years I’ve owned it. How are the pioneers holding up? I’m looking at a 2018 model. The reason im changing over is because of the transmission, and more room, also the teryx is lacking power, compared to everything else on the market. I’m concerned about long term reliability! Thanks guys!
Welcome to the forum. You’ll be quite pleased with your Honda. Good luck with your purchase and give us some pics when you bring it home. :)

Reactions: sharp
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The pioneer is like any other UTV. It's not perfect and or Industructable. If you search around this site you will read about different things that all have in common. When you know what to be prepared and watch for you will be very happy. You will find everything from extreme to hunting rigs here.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from The Great lakes State. Pics or it didn't happen :D

R

rodriguez7

Nov 20, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks guys. I might pick it up this week, if financing goes through Monday! I think I’m getting a good deal!

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just make sure all the updates have been done which being a 2018 they should be done like the clutch update,cabin comfort kit,muffler shield and the throttle body then get out and ride

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Anything can be broken, but Honda reliability with reasonable care will be there for many years to come.

CLS

CLS

Aug 26, 2018
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went from a Ranger 800 to a P1k5. My ranger never had a single problem but we needed more seating for the grandkids. Bought my first Honda in '84 and was excited for the p1k5. However, it's a good thing I spent time here before riding out to the boondocks cause we boiled over just like all the posts say. BUT...knowing the burp process ahead of time saved the day and my opinion of the machine. Since the boil/burp it's been Fantastic, everything a Honda should be. So get one asap, carry some antifreeze for the first couple of rides, burp it if she boils and then you'll be set.

I bought the under dash storage and half windshield on Amazon for a couple bucks cheaper than the dealer, the Tusk aluminum roof from Rocky Mountain atv and some roll bar handles . I have appx 500 trouble free miles since the burp and a ten day Elk hunt in AZ next month and not worried a bit about getting remote with it.

With exception of the whine from the straight cut gears (just hits my ear wrong) I LOVE this machine.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just make sure all the updates have been done which being a 2018 they should be done like the clutch update,cabin comfort kit,muffler shield and the throttle body then get out and ride
And air intake under the hood.

advertisement
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It has to be a later in the year 2017 for the air intake under the hood to be changed from the factory my 2017 which was made the last of January 2017 had the old intake on it and I swapped it out for the new version

CLS

CLS

Aug 26, 2018
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got mine in Aug 18 and it had the intake and exhaust shield already installed

Reactions: Montecresto
H

HondaTech

Being with Honda now and the last 10 years I'm biased of course, but I've never been really impressed with the Teryx.
The older models are hot and noisy as frig, even the newest ones make to much clutch noise for me. Then there's the oil eating problem they've had for awhile. I've also been in quite a few with exploded transmissions.

Kawasaki needs to seriously update that old as dirt engine, its basically the same engine in the old Prairie 700.

Plus there just such a pain to work on compared to Honda at least, that goes for their whole lineup. The battery placement since they started 4 seat production is just ridiculous.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All of the above and fix the front end alignment! Yer tires will be toast in one ride if you don't set it.

R

rodriguez7

Nov 20, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Being with Honda now and the last 10 years I'm biased of course, but I've never been really impressed with the Teryx.
The older models are hot and noisy as frig, even the newest ones make to much clutch noise for me. Then there's the oil eating problem they've had for awhile. I've also been in quite a few with exploded transmissions.

Kawasaki needs to seriously update that old as dirt engine, its basically the same engine in the old Prairie 700.

Plus there just such a pain to work on compared to Honda at least, that goes for their whole lineup. The battery placement since they started 4 seat production is just ridiculous.
I agree with most of what you said! But mine has been really reliable, it’s hauled elk out, and carried more than it should through some rough terrain! But it’s a very noisy machine, to the point you can’t really carry a decent conversation with your passengers! And the power is really lacking compared to everything else on the market! This Honda with 72 horses, seems like a good amount of power! I’m really anxious to get it! And I’m sure I’m not making a mistake!

Jiggs

Jiggs

Sep 11, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with most of what you said! But mine has been really reliable, it’s hauled elk out, and carried more than it should through some rough terrain! But it’s a very noisy machine, to the point you can’t really carry a decent conversation with your passengers! And the power is really lacking compared to everything else on the market! This Honda with 72 horses, seems like a good amount of power! I’m really anxious to get it! And I’m sure I’m not making a mistake!
Rodriguez, I live in Northern, NM and own a P1k along with a couple of buddies. Our Pioneer's have hauled plenty of Elk through our rough terrain. You will not regret getting one. Plenty of room for all your gear plus a Toad.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
the gear noise they all make really, but alot of kawi "issues" arent there fault. i had the prairie for 12 years and a million miles with bigger tires and drove it like i stole it the whole time, it was my tractor too, ten cord a year out of the swamp with a huge trailer that the PO built for his tractor, and i broke a gear once i was thrashing on it in a big mud hole. it was 5 ears before i had one problem. once i get the honda paid and done probably going to get another brute, i probably would have gotten the tyrex if it had been a bit smaller

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!