P700 New to site, manual shift and power boost questions

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After returning from an awesome ride in the San Juan mountains right before Labor Day around Silverton, CO, I am wanting to make some modifications to my 2016 700-4. We were in elevations up to 13,000 feet and with myself, my wife, 3 year old son and only what supplies we had to take for a day ride, it would slow down to 4 mph with the throttle on the floor on the VERY STEEP trail sections and thin air. I have looked through the Mods forum and have read Lynn's thread on his electric supercharger and like his idea and am going to look into that idea for added power. I also want to find out if there is a power chip available as they are for my Duramax. The other mod I am looking for; is there any way to manually shift it yet? It has the same transmission as my '07 Rincon which has a manual or auto mode so why can't something like that control be installed on the Pioneer? Thanks in advance for any replies and I will post some trail pics of our trip. If you're looking for some GREAT trail riding and amazing scenery, that is the place!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello @wrwtexan and welcome to the club! @Lynn has had success with the electric blower at higher elevations as you know. Also check out @spifyd's turbo installation if you haven't already.

Power chips are available for the pioneer but don't expect the same type of gains they get with diesel tuners. Also I'm not sure how much help they would be at higher elevations as they essentially just add fuel which would give you an even "richer" running motor. At high elevations your engine really needs more air, not fuel. But I'm no expert on this, so I recommend you send an email to Dobeck Performance and discuss your issues with them and see what they say. DP is the company that makes the programmer.

Lastly to your shifting question, though many have talked about it, I've never heard of anyone actually making the tranny shift manually on 2016 and older vehicles. Perhaps with the release of the 2017 model (which will have manual shift) someone will finally figure it out!

Can't wait to see those pics from your ride!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
A few guys have put a HMF pipe, programmer, and UNI air filter or snorkel and have had good results. All that other stuff like turbos i have no idea. One guy did a big bore kit and cam and it had a lot of power but he did blow the motor. Adding too much can harm the motor obviously..

Reactions: CumminsPusher
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After extensively reading Lynn's page on his supercharger, I did some looking on ebay and have found what I am going to buy and try. It is like his electric inline supercharger fan but instead of inline, the fan is inside a K&N cone style filter and blows straight into the intake after filtration. No piping or filter housing outlet valve necessary. Look up electric turbo supercharger for what I've found.

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
After extensively reading Lynn's page on his supercharger, I did some looking on ebay and have found what I am going to buy and try. It is like his electric inline supercharger fan but instead of inline, the fan is inside a K&N cone style filter and blows straight into the intake after filtration. No piping or filter housing outlet valve necessary. Look up electric turbo supercharger for what I've found.
I think I found what you're talking about. I'm not sure that I'm a believer but I want it to work! Please keep us updated on what you come up with!

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll have one as soon as it gets here from China and in the mean time I'll keep trying to upload my Colorado pics. Can't figure out why they won't upload even as jpeg files.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a delay on ordering the air filter supercharger but it is now on its way on a slow boat from China. It is supposed to push up to 5 psi boost. After looking at an altitude versus air pressure chart, at 10,000 ft, pressure drops from 14.5 psi to around 9.5. If it will boost 3-4 psi there, it will get intake pressure back up to near my normal 500 ft above sea level pressure in the mountains! I can't wait to try it and here we plan to go back to north of Gunnison Colorado again next summer so I'll get to see what it will do up in the rarified air

Reactions: Tflynn and joeymt33
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been a while since I added anything to this post. I got and installed the filter/blower with a little bit of modification to the filter box but it fit nicely. I have a momentary and a toggle switch tucked into the underside webbing of the steering wheel spoke for on the fly activation. We are going back to the San Juan mountains from Silverton where it was running out of air on last year at 12-13K feet so we will get to see just what it will do for high altitude performance. Will update after the trip in the first week of August and post pics if it worked.

Reactions: WildAggie
W

WildAggie

Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Been a while since I added anything to this post. I got and installed the filter/blower with a little bit of modification to the filter box but it fit nicely. I have a momentary and a toggle switch tucked into the underside webbing of the steering wheel spoke for on the fly activation. We are going back to the San Juan mountains from Silverton where it was running out of air on last year at 12-13K feet so we will get to see just what it will do for high altitude performance. Will update after the trip in the first week of August and post pics if it worked.

Any updates?

Reactions: Tflynn
volkspower

volkspower

Feb 28, 2017
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X
Compressing air takes a whole load of energy; around 6-7bhp for every psi of boost is sapped from an engine to drive a mechanical supercharger. Applying that to electronics, a 12-volt battery will barely be capable of providing the energy needed to perform anywhere near the same capabilities of an engine’s crank. Therefore, electronic supercharger kits from eBay or any other website will generally provide little to no increase in power and may even cause a net decrease in power by sapping the charge from the battery. Although an E-supercharger can create the required boost, it still needs a large electrical supply to function to its full potential.

Reactions: swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Compressing air takes a whole load of energy; around 6-7bhp for every psi of boost is sapped from an engine to drive a mechanical supercharger. Applying that to electronics, a 12-volt battery will barely be capable of providing the energy needed to perform anywhere near the same capabilities of an engine’s crank. Therefore, electronic supercharger kits from eBay or any other website will generally provide little to no increase in power and may even cause a net decrease in power by sapping the charge from the battery. Although an E-supercharger can create the required boost, it still needs a large electrical supply to function to its full potential.
Exactly correct with the 700 pioneer

volkspower

volkspower

Feb 28, 2017
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X
Also - If you place something in the intake path between your air filter and the engine and that thing isn't made to be there, you now run the risk of having it break and send unfiltered pieces into your engine, potentially causing catastrophic failure. The ebay fan motor thing this guy is considering falls in this category....

Reactions: swsebek
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have figured out how to solve the 700 power problem! I bought a 1000-5:D. Now my 700 is for sale! Sorry, no pics but the little fan inside the air filter worked great last year on California Pass which is where first year I was down to 2 mph. I mounted a toggle and a momentary microswitch on the backside of the steering wheel for easy access and it helped immensely. I was on my Rinny and wife was in the 700 and she said the difference in performance at altitude was very noticeable. She never had any problems keeping moving on pass ascension. I have removed it for sale purposes but was very happy with the results.
As far as a danger of engine damage, it is nothing more than a 12V motor with a steel fan inside the filter which the way it was held and screened, couldn't get loose and go anywhere.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!