P1000 New vs Used

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well, I would say you are giving him a pretty crappy welcome.

Maybe your dealer had 520’s in stock, but wouldn’t sell them to you because it would ruin the saying “you meet the nicest people in a Honda.”
Wow, that was me trying to be nice. I could only imagine what you would think if I really spoke my mind.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have patience I would choose new over used any day. You never know what you are getting when buying used. I won't buy used unless I know I always have wiggle room. A month ago I bought 2 Polaris trailblazers. 1 for $100 and 1 for $500. I was told the $100 needed a top end because it's stuck wide open. The guy told me he was riding it one day and it revved up and he shut it down. Tried to start it a couple times and each time it went wide open. I messed with it for 10 minutes and figured by pulling the rope it had good compression. Gave the guy $100 and took it home. Checked it over and found it had good compression, started it on brake clean, cleaned the carburetor and fired it up on fuel and found it went wide open. Looked it over again and found the oil injector was causing the throttle to stick. I got a spring from Westlakes to fix the pump and it has been driving great. The other for example was a supposed running driving ready machine. We agreed to $800 over the phone and I drove 2 hours to get it. When I got there it wouldn't go into gear. Just acted like it was in neutral. Saw the belt was good and clutch was good. I told the guy it needed a transmission and he argued with me for a bit and then settled on $500. Took it home and tore it apart and found the transmission output shaft was sheared. Bought a used output shaft on ebay and put it back together and then learned the upper gear tooth was slipping on its splines. So then I bought a used transmission on ebay. Next I rebuilt the carburetor twice, had to replace the cvt belt already, had a brake caliper lock up and replaced it and just last weekend went for a ride and found its carburetor boot leaks. Now I'm $1100 invested. All I am saying is that buying used can sometimes work out and sometimes not. As long as you have wiggle room you will always come out on top.

Buying a new machine doesn't always guarantee a perfect experience either. But if you pick the right dealer they will always take care of you. New machines typically won't cost you for repairs. They usually have warranties or purchaseable extended warranties. I never found a good deal on my pioneer so I bought new. Just like I never found a good deal on my Kubota tractor so I bought it new. A good deal to me always allows room for repair otherwise it's never worth it.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
A1E5DF06 DF17 445B BB47 D5A0C84A644C

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
“Located on the upper Delaware River, Milford PA is part of the New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area, as well as the larger New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area.”, so you practically live in NYC? I guess you’re just not used to Upstate attitude. We are nicer and more respectful up here. By the way, you said you “have 30 years experience selling, fixing and working for Honda” but did you ever own a Honda SXS? Or did you leave Honda and go to work at a Yamaha dealer? I’m kidding, either way I don’t care and you can comment all you like. I won’t respond, I’ll just continue to report you to “the boss”.
Really? You must have gone to a private school. Come on man nut up, there's a bunch of great people here that you should get to know, especially if your going to wait for your Honda. Honda is going to be be hind the 8 ball, other MGF's are getting S x S's to they're dealers in limited supply and some will never return as a Honda loyalist, Honda has their head stuck in the sand. We love our 16 P1-5, would we buy another one into days market with all the improvements others have made, I would answer that with ?????????????????//

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after putting down a deposit in May for a 1000-5 that was supposed to be delivered at the end of July I was just told the “newest” delivery list says mid-October. Disappointed of course, but not surprised. So am now checking out the used market. The prices are certainly not cheap but it seems that I can get a slightly used (2018 deluxe w/3000mi’s) that has most of the upgrades i’m looking for (probably ~4K worth) for slightly less than I was going to spend for a base model with no upgrades. It seems like a pretty good way to go, but my question to the knowledgeable masses is this: Is 3,000 miles relatively “low” for Pioneers? And what are some things I should ask and/or check on a used vehicle before buying? Any insights are welcome. Thanks.
If it was driven 2,999.9 miles on pavement and .1 mile in a 6’ deep mud hole where it ingested copious amounts of gritty mud water then it won’t be a good deal. You never know what some jackass did with a machine. Of course you could buy a new one assembled at 4:30 on a Friday before a holiday weekend too. Life is a gamble. Do whatever makes you phucking happy with your money. Just don’t forget to ask what size tire will fit without a lift.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it was driven 2,999.9 miles on pavement and .1 mile in a 6’ deep mud hole where it ingested copious amounts of gritty mud water then it won’t be a good deal. You never know what some jackass did with a machine. Of course you could buy a new one assembled at 4:30 on a Friday before a holiday weekend too. Life is a gamble. Do whatever makes you phucking happy with your money. Just don’t forget to ask what size tire will fit without a lift.
Well sir, to answer your last question, it’s 33”, now the only question is which tire is the best?🤔

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!