P1000 New vs Used

F

Fenahs

May 8, 2021
NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after putting down a deposit in May for a 1000-5 that was supposed to be delivered at the end of July I was just told the “newest” delivery list says mid-October. Disappointed of course, but not surprised. So am now checking out the used market. The prices are certainly not cheap but it seems that I can get a slightly used (2018 deluxe w/3000mi’s) that has most of the upgrades i’m looking for (probably ~4K worth) for slightly less than I was going to spend for a base model with no upgrades. It seems like a pretty good way to go, but my question to the knowledgeable masses is this: Is 3,000 miles relatively “low” for Pioneers? And what are some things I should ask and/or check on a used vehicle before buying? Any insights are welcome. Thanks.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Oh, thank you, that was so helpful.
Maybe go troll somewhere else?
I was serious, Honda doesn't care. Time to look at other brands. I have 30 years experience selling, fixing and working for Honda. When I tell you that Honda doesn't care, I speak from experience.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
3,000 miles is pretty low for a 2018. There are several 20,000 mile talons and pioneers on here.

I would just do the standard checks. See where mud is crammed into, major scratches or cracks in the body, scratched up rims, ect that would tell you how they treated it. Just remember you are buying a used machine, so some scratches are normal, but you might be able to use them as a bargining point.

And check that the a-arms aren't bent.........per a recent thread on here about a used pioneer......:)

I like to check the oil, just to look at the level and color of it. The oil dipstick is kind of a pain to get to under the rear floorboards. Other that that I just ask basic questions to get a feel for how the owner cared for it.

I have a 2020 pioneer i bought new and a 2019 talon I bought used. They have both been very good to me.

Eta: One more thing, you should go look at it in person before you make an offer. I know when I sell stuff I won't drop price over the phone when they ask "how low will you go?" That drives me crazy with them never having seen the machine. I will drop price if someone shows up, points out a few flaws, and offers cash on the spot as long as it isn't crazy low. It is a hot market right now though.

F

Fenahs

May 8, 2021
NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was serious, Honda doesn't care. Time to look at other brands. I have 30 years experience selling, fixing and working for Honda. When I tell you that Honda doesn't care, I speak from experience.
I was serious too. If you don’t like Hondas that’s fine, go and join another site. Don’t just stick around here to be a troll.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I was serious too. If you don’t like Hondas that’s fine, go and join another site. Don’t just stick around here to be a troll.
Who died and made you the boss? NY attitude with 6 posts, why don't you find another site.

If you don't like my advice that is fine, go buy a used beat up Pioneer instead of a brand new Yamaha.

Last edited:
F

Fenahs

May 8, 2021
NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
3,000 miles is pretty low for a 2018. There are several 20,000 mile talons and pioneers on here.

I would just do the standard checks. See where mud is crammed into, major scratches or cracks in the body, scratched up rims, ect that would tell you how they treated it. Just remember you are buying a used machine, so some scratches are normal, but you might be able to use them as a bargining point.

And check that the a-arms aren't bent.........per a recent thread on here about a used pioneer......:)

I like to check the oil, just to look at the level and color of it. The oil dipstick is kind of a pain to get to under the rear floorboards. Other that that I just ask basic questions to get a feel for how the owner cared for it.

I have a 2020 pioneer i bought new and a 2019 talon I bought used. They have both been very good to me.

Eta: One more thing, you should go look at it in person before you make an offer. I know when I sell stuff I won't drop price over the phone when they ask "how low will you go?" That drives me crazy with them never having seen the machine. I will drop price if someone shows up, points out a few flaws, and offers cash on the spot as long as it isn't crazy low. It is a hot market right now though.
Thank you!

advertisement
R

rickoshea

Who died and made you the boss? NY attitude with 6 posts, why don't you find another site.

If you don't like may advice that is fine, go buy a used beat up Pioneer instead of a brand new Yamaha.
🤣 🤣 🤣 in all fairness,he never asked you at all about yamaha wolverines.the topic is Honda Pioneers.you know,being a HONDA forum.and you tell him to go find another site??i'd tell you to get stuffed too.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
🤣 🤣 🤣 in all fairness,he never asked you at all about yamaha wolverines.the topic is Honda Pioneers.you know,being a HONDA forum.and you tell him to go find another site??i'd tell you to get stuffed too.
The title is new or used, I suggested new.

I understand this is a Honda forum, I was looking to buy a Honda for a year.

Faced with the same dilema, I chose a new Yamaha. It was a valid option.

F

Fenahs

May 8, 2021
NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5

If you don't like may advice that is fine, go buy a used beat up Pioneer instead of a brand new Yamaha.
“Located on the upper Delaware River, Milford PA is part of the New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area, as well as the larger New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area.”, so you practically live in NYC? I guess you’re just not used to Upstate attitude. We are nicer and more respectful up here. By the way, you said you “have 30 years experience selling, fixing and working for Honda” but did you ever own a Honda SXS? Or did you leave Honda and go to work at a Yamaha dealer? I’m kidding, either way I don’t care and you can comment all you like. I won’t respond, I’ll just continue to report you to “the boss”.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
“Located on the upper Delaware River, Milford PA is part of the New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area, as well as the larger New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area.”, so you practically live in NYC? I guess you’re just not used to Upstate attitude. We are nicer and more respectful up here. By the way, you said you “have 30 years experience selling, fixing and working for Honda” but did you ever own a Honda SXS? Or did you leave Honda and go to work at a Yamaha dealer? I’m kidding, either way I don’t care and you can comment all you like. I won’t respond, I’ll just continue to report you to “the boss”.
Great, so you are a squealer too, geez, great to have you aboard.

F

Fenahs

May 8, 2021
NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The title is new or used, I suggested new.

I understand this is a Honda forum, I was looking to buy a Honda for a year.

Faced with the same dilema, I chose a new Yamaha. It was a valid option.
Wait, up above you said you worked for Honda for 30 years, now you were looking at buying one for a year?

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Squealer that's sounds about right I don't have a dog in this fight but don't ask for advice then b**** about what you get.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!