P1000 Newb Need Help on Tires

jelmail2000

jelmail2000

Feb 6, 2017
US
I know what you are thinking - not another tire post, but i could use your help. I had a polaris with these big lug V shaped tires and i did not like the tires at all. I was happy to get rid of that thing and get back to honda. I was also excited to see the tires it came with because i always read good things about them. Well, i was just riding with the family and i destroyed one. I have no idea how. I mostly ride dirt trails but there are some rocky parts here and there so the only thing i could think is maybe i hit the side wall. I am not upset it happened but it does give me the opportunity to think of what to put on the machine now.

So now it is time for new tires. I ride dirt, and rocky mountain trails. I do love to puddle stomp but it I do not find many here in CO and it is real tough to find mud. When i went to taylor park almost every machine had car looking tires on them. I can see the benefit of having 4 of the same in the event of a flat. Is having 4 of the same size tire all around a good idea? What would be a strong sidewalled durable tire that can handle trail and rocks? Lastly, would i need to change out my rims? I have the deluxe rims if that matters and currently my rear tires are wider than the front.

I appreciate any help and thank you in advance!

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
20160917 174712
I like STI black diamond XTR .

Last edited:
jelmail2000

jelmail2000

Feb 6, 2017
US
do you buy 4 of the same tire or do you buy the wider back tires?

Reactions: Plumber32
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A lot of guys are running the Terrabites. Probably the best all around tire if you need a DOT tire and run on some asphalt. I only run on horrible rocky trails or snow. So I went with the 8 ply Sedona Ripsaws. 28x10x14 all the way around on stock rims. The fronts are tough to get to seat on the 9" rims but I was able to get it done.
What tires you run will be dictated by what your running them on. A good tire for one guy might be a horrible tire for the next guy.

ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just put the maxxis coronado on today and road them around about 10 miles and i'm really liking them so far. There much more stable and quite then the big horns. 28x10x14 all the way around.

jelmail2000

jelmail2000

Feb 6, 2017
US
I will not run on asphalt often. I live in Colorado so i mostly run rocky trails or worse. I am looking for something that can hold up to that abuse if possible. I like to puddle stomp but there aren't many here.

Are you all using the same stock rims and having the larger tire on the back?

Reactions: gpd2111
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I just ordered 215/75/15 BFG mud terrain km2 and 15" Rockstar series 1 wheels. Should be good for nearly everything and last forever.
Make sure to show us some pics when you get them. Interested in seeing how they look

Reactions: moparornocar
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I run the Sedona RipSaw R/T tires as @Amre2me2 showed you above...I agree that it depends on the terrain you ride on...The RipSaw's are great for the rough, but I think the pavement would tear them up ....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!