P1000 Newbie first post

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
hi guys, just joined but have been reading since the P4 came out. I've owned a 500 rubicon for 9 flawless years, and am looking for the same thing in a honda sxs. I thought the 700 was it, but after seeing no low range, and sitting in one ( didn't seem very comfortable), I waited. I almost pulled the trigger on a Mule pro fxt a couple times, but again didnt seem comfortable and it didnt seem too capable off road. My use is a ranch and hunting rig. Light work and lots of slow cruising. I have a family of 4 and 2 hunting dogs, although most of the time it is just me, maybe a dog or 2 and maybe a passenger. Ranch is in the coastal range of northern California and is about 9000 acres. Losts of roads, some steep and many rutted. My other use will be elk hunting in eastern Oregon on private land. I would use the machine to cross country to downed elk and haul them out either whole or cut up, depending. Again this terrain is steep in places, rocky, and slow going. On the Ca ranch, lots of slow cruising will be the norm, like 10mph or less, hunting deer, quail and pigs. I have read that the 1000 cant be driven below 5mph without burning clutches. I have also read some say to use low range below 20mph. Thats a deal breaker, I cant stand listening to a high revving engine. Is the transmission in this thing so fragile that it cant lock up and handle slow cruising at idle? I love the improvements on the 1000, and thought it was a perfect rig for me (other than price). Now I have concerns over whether this machine is meant for more high speed driving. I like the power, low range, locking diffs, and cockpit, and I love the theory on how the tranny works. I could care less about top speed, acceleration or high speed handling. Am I looking at the right machine, or should I go back to the 700? I looked at a 500, but is is LOUD, and I cant deal with that. And advice is welcome, and if anybody is in nor cal who could let me experience this thing first hand, that would be great also.

Reactions: dotman1
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think when people say use low under 20-30, it's just preference. I usually use low but I own a much smaller piece of property at 40 acres and always use high around home unless I'm pulling a trailer or skidding logs. High seems comfortable at 5+mph if the terrain is not too rough.

Sent from my iPad 7G

AirtimeAcres

AirtimeAcres

Nov 11, 2015
Jakey, from what I read from your terrain description, I think the Pioneer 1000 would be perfect for what you want to use it for. Most of my P1k driving is in high range, 10-30 mph around my 108 acre ranch. I rarely use low range, only when crawling up a steep climb. We use our Pioneer mostly as a utility rig, but when we have company, it's really nice to be able to ride with 5 adults when we give tours of our forest.
I'm near Eugene Oregon, and if you're ever near here, I'd be happy to let you play with my Pioneer some, to try it out in real-world situations.
With 250 miles on the odometer, we're loving our Pioneer "buggy"...
Randy

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
hi guys, just joined but have been reading since the P4 came out. I've owned a 500 rubicon for 9 flawless years, and am looking for the same thing in a honda sxs. I thought the 700 was it, but after seeing no low range, and sitting in one ( didn't seem very comfortable), I waited. I almost pulled the trigger on a Mule pro fxt a couple times, but again didnt seem comfortable and it didnt seem too capable off road. My use is a ranch and hunting rig. Light work and lots of slow cruising. I have a family of 4 and 2 hunting dogs, although most of the time it is just me, maybe a dog or 2 and maybe a passenger. Ranch is in the coastal range of northern California and is about 9000 acres. Losts of roads, some steep and many rutted. My other use will be elk hunting in eastern Oregon on private land. I would use the machine to cross country to downed elk and haul them out either whole or cut up, depending. Again this terrain is steep in places, rocky, and slow going. On the Ca ranch, lots of slow cruising will be the norm, like 10mph or less, hunting deer, quail and pigs. I have read that the 1000 cant be driven below 5mph without burning clutches. I have also read some say to use low range below 20mph. Thats a deal breaker, I cant stand listening to a high revving engine. Is the transmission in this thing so fragile that it cant lock up and handle slow cruising at idle? I love the improvements on the 1000, and thought it was a perfect rig for me (other than price). Now I have concerns over whether this machine is meant for more high speed driving. I like the power, low range, locking diffs, and cockpit, and I love the theory on how the tranny works. I could care less about top speed, acceleration or high speed handling. Am I looking at the right machine, or should I go back to the 700? I looked at a 500, but is is LOUD, and I cant deal with that. And advice is welcome, and if anybody is in nor cal who could let me experience this thing first hand, that would be great also.

@Jakey Welcome to the club. The Pioneer 1000 should suit your needs just fine. The old adage success has a thousand fathers and failure is an orphan is completely reversed when it come to the P1K. There are thousands who are completely satisfied with their Honda P1K and are busy riding and enjoying them instead of carrying on about them online. Yet there is a few dozen who are not happy with their purchase and they make up 90% of the negative comments on here and other forums because they want the world to know of their troubles or dissatisfaction. If you look at many complaints they are really trivial that can be addressed easily, ignored, or solved by wearing appropriate riding gear (seat heat for example). Guys take their gals for a ride they hop in wearing yoga pants and a short top with the muffin top exposed and when a large puddle of water is hit the get some steam in the cab ad a rush of heat of the motor. Well it you not wearing anything much heavier than underwear of course they are goin to feel the heat more than someone dressed to work outdoor or really dressed to go offroading.

Hope you make your decision and get what you want, A P1K is a great choice for your intended use. They ride great, ride quiet, and have plenty of power especially in Low range which runs up to 35 mph or go to High for up to 65 mph, when you need to cover ground on that 9000 acres.

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I totally understand that the complaints are just coming from a few. I'm most concerned that this machine might not be built for my low key, low speed use. I sold my dirtbikes and all the gear a few years ago and have no desire to ride "geared up". I want to be able to hop in with the kids in swimsuits and take a ride to the river to swim, at a leisurly pace, and not be overwhelmed by noise, heat or vibration. I will never go in a mud pit, and do my best to avoid the stuff. I will go up and down steep, rocky trails, and cruise along quietly watching the game on the ranch. I enjoy taking a ride and seeing wildlife as much as getting out on a hike and hunting. I want a reliable, quiet, comfortable vehicle to occasionally tackle some pretty challenging terrain, and not break doing it. Should I be looking at the 700?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The heat is just the same in the P700 in my experience. I have owned both. I rode with no windshield today and it was 91°. I do have some heat insulation under the seat but I had no issue at all with heat.

The sound is quieter in the P1000.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Reactions: JACKAL
Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
@Jakey Having owed both a 700-2 and now a 1000-3, I think you would be very comfortable in a 1000. It is much quieter and rides much better than the 700. People talk about the heat but I don't think the 1000 is any hotter than the 700, and if you are cruising slow it should not be an issue. Riding at slow speeds is very nice, in high range, and the ability to haul a-- when you want is a kick in the pants! Turf mode and power steering are my two favorite features not available on the 700 ( and 999 cc's ).
The 700 is a nice machine, but the 1000 is nicerer.

H

HeavyGear

Nov 2, 2015
I'm in the Turlock, ca area. How far North are you? I use mine for mainly farm work: irrigating, checking insect traps, soil samples, but most of all pulling a 200 gal weed sprayer. I manage a few thousand acres as far north as red bluff down to Merced. I need a vehicle to go where my truck can't. I like putting customers or ranch managers in it while we look a ranches. I use high when going less than 20mph all the time as long as the road is smooth and is somewhat flat. I spray weeds in low at 5 mph without issues up or down hills. I like the engine braking. Obviously if you are in steep terrain put it in low and shift manually. Im with you, I hate the sound of a high reving engine. Going to Colorado for elk hunting this fall. I'm excited to take the rig.

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the Turlock, ca area. How far North are you? I use mine for mainly farm work: irrigating, checking insect traps, soil samples, but most of all pulling a 200 gal weed sprayer. I manage a few thousand acres as far north as red bluff down to Merced. I need a vehicle to go where my truck can't. I like putting customers or ranch managers in it while we look a ranches. I use high when going less than 20mph all the time as long as the road is smooth and is somewhat flat. I spray weeds in low at 5 mph without issues up or down hills. I like the engine braking. Obviously if you are in steep terrain put it in low and shift manually. Im with you, I hate the sound of a high reving engine. Going to Colorado for elk hunting this fall. I'm excited to take the rig.
That is great info! Very similar useage to my needs. Im in sf bay area, but am between SF, Truckee, Almanor, Colusa and Boonville from now until the end of the year.

H

HeavyGear

Nov 2, 2015
That is great info! Very similar useage to my needs. Im in sf bay area, but am between SF, Truckee, Almanor, Colusa and Boonville from now until the end of the year.
Yep we could cross paths. One of the ranches I watch is in Colusa off River Road. I like the p1000 but also think purchasing the extended warranty is a no brainier for a new model that has so much new technology. I trust the Honda name

advertisement
D

Digger

Jan 7, 2016
I use mine for the same things you mention in the same place,,coast range of California. I like it a lot.
I've had no issues at all hunting yotes and squirrels. Deer season is coming and I can't wait.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I go in low when going under twenty because I have something along the lines of 35% more power. I understand your logic, I came from polaris. You cant run in high going slow because it burns your belts. You have to go in low for slow. Problem is it winds up and is noisy. I hate that.

Here's where the transmission gets neat. It shifts you next gear when your over x rpms. So it's not any louder than in high (noticeably anyways)because it doesn't wind up like other side by sides. The only difference between low and high is power vs speed. Low goes about 35 before Rev limiter.

I'm always in low going down trails because I can't go faster than 5th gear in low anyways. So it's not quieter in high, and your losing power for the speed you can't use.

This pig is hot with a full cab. Roll the back panel up and doors down and it's fine. When it's rolled down however there is much dust. I'm not going to lie to you, it's pretty bad with the window on. But everything else you buy will be the same way.

So if a little bit of heat is the deal breaker for you, then there it is. Low gear sound the same as high.

I love mine. Maybe can am would be the other company if I didn't like honda.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I totally understand that the complaints are just coming from a few. I'm most concerned that this machine might not be built for my low key, low speed use. I sold my dirtbikes and all the gear a few years ago and have no desire to ride "geared up". I want to be able to hop in with the kids in swimsuits and take a ride to the river to swim, at a leisurely pace, and not be overwhelmed by noise, heat or vibration. I will never go in a mud pit, and do my best to avoid the stuff. I will go up and down steep, rocky trails, and cruise along quietly watching the game on the ranch. I enjoy taking a ride and seeing wildlife as much as getting out on a hike and hunting. I want a reliable, quiet, comfortable vehicle to occasionally tackle some pretty challenging terrain, and not break doing it. Should I be looking at the 700?
You ride and think exactly like I do. So far I have had no problem putting around in High or Low range at 5 mph or less. We do not have many hills around here (just I-95 overpass) our challenging terrain is most often gumbo mud and clear cuts. I am having no problems as of yet driving around slow, and I will have to say that this Honda is definitely quieter than my old Rhino 660. Time will tell as far as durability. I think it will be fine though.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As far as the heat issue, I just took my windshield off for summer riding and the heat issue disappeared. Had to do the same thing with the Rhino that I owned. windshield off in the summer, on in the winter. No problem, very easy to do on the Honda, a lot harder on the Rhino but never bothered me at all to do it.

Reactions: joeymt33

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!