Just_Me

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2017
Angel Fire, NM
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
My first post, I apologize if I didn’t follow any forum protocols:

Just purchased two brand new 1000-5 and a 700-2, I bought them from an auction from a dealership liquidation. Getting them shipped to Angel Fire, NM (elevation 9300, ski resort area).

My primary Winter use will be to put chains on them, and use them to climb my steep driveway, so that I can unload passengers and cargo from my house, to a street level parking area,

During the Summer, I will use them on forest trails near my house. We have dirt/gravel/dusty roads in the area.

Questions:
1. Should I get a windshield and roof, or am I better off with dusty roads to have the ventilation?
2. Thinking about getting a winch that I can install myself, anything to watch out for?
3. What are the “must have” accessories that I need to get?

Thank you for the responses, once I get some starting tips from you guys, I will use the search feature for additional research.

Best Regards,

Just_Me

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
First..... WELCOME to a wonderful new world!

Let the spending begin and the enjoyment of an awesome ride.

First would be a winch and a front and rear piece of glass along with a roof.
Once it gets cold, you will be amazed at how much you "NEED" that windshield.
Then I would get a plow to clear your drive. I've never had the need for chains. These machines really do go and if it gets to the point that you need chains, I'd go with tracks.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Eltobgi and Just_Me
J

Just_Me

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2017
Angel Fire, NM
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
These are going in my vacation home, where we only spend about 3 weeks during the winter, but close to three months during the Summer. The high temps in the Summer are only about 75 degrees during the Summer at this elevation. Do you still think I should get the windows and roofs for the Summer use?

I read some complaints on this forum about the back seat getting dusted out from gravel roads, but no problem if you dont have a windshield and roof, not sure if thats a real issue or not.

If I were to only enclose one of them, I am thinking it would be my 1000-5, and I would keep the 700 open as a work vehicle, and trail rider.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Based on your description a roof only would serve you best, it is the windshield that causes the dust to get sucked in.

I would suggest one of the flat roofs with a drip rail, the OEM Honda accessories roof is abysmal at letting water drip in on hands and knees without a windshield, then you get the dust when dry.

Tires, you may want to consider the STI Black Diamond tires in 28x10x14 all the way around. The do really well in snow and pretty good all around riding, might save you from messing chains etc.

A must have would be at least a winch on one of the SXS, if it gets stuck the winch may be your only salvation.

Reactions: Just_Me

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!