P500 Newby "adventure", lessons learned.

Suzque49

Suzque49

Jul 14, 2016
Mojave, California
Ownership

1. 500
We took our P5 out for a "short" ride this morning, Went about 15 miles then turned around to come back home. Well we took a wrong turn and got lost in the desert with the outside temp getting up over 100. Drove up a road with the gas gauge getting lower and lower, then found the road was closed off and had to turn around and go back the way we came. By this time the gauge said lo fuel. We found a narrow trail and took it when we came across a very narrow bridge. (Hubby had me get out while he crossed the bridge) and on we went, it's now about 105 outside. I stupidly didn't bring any water (only a short ride to the aqueduct and back) we wound through until we got out of the hills and back on the desert floor. Now the gauge is flashing empty! We found roads and trails and were driving around windmills. Found the power line road and headed north. Now it's 108 outside and P5 has been flashing empty for a long time. Called our son, told him we were lost in the desert and told him to use the phone "find my friends" app. and bring some gas in our direction. He found us and told us which direction to go (our phone gps just showed us in the middle of nowhere). So we head off in that direction with the gas gauge flashing 0. Met up with son and put a gallon or so in the P5. By this time I was well overheated and got in sons car for the ride home (only a couple more miles) it was up to 111 by the time we got back (4 hrs later) I do not get along well with the sun and was feeling really weak and sort of breath until I was able to cool off.
Lessons learned. Take water even if it is around the block, Install a decent GPS in the Honda and take extra gas along. Oh and this is not our first off road vehicle, we sold two go carts and two quads so we could purchase our sxs.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Glad you made it back ok. The expanse of the Southwest has my respect. Spent 3 weeks in Utah 4 years ago and without maps, GPS, and provisions a person could get in a pickle quickly.

Reactions: JTW and joeymt33
J

Jshell3

Glad you made it back! Wow. How many miles you got on your P500 now?!?

webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
We took our P5 out for a "short" ride this morning, Went about 15 miles then turned around to come back home. Well we took a wrong turn and got lost in the desert with the outside temp getting up over 100. Drove up a road with the gas gauge getting lower and lower, then found the road was closed off and had to turn around and go back the way we came. By this time the gauge said lo fuel. We found a narrow trail and took it when we came across a very narrow bridge. (Hubby had me get out while he crossed the bridge) and on we went, it's now about 105 outside. I stupidly didn't bring any water (only a short ride to the aqueduct and back) we wound through until we got out of the hills and back on the desert floor. Now the gauge is flashing empty! We found roads and trails and were driving around windmills. Found the power line road and headed north. Now it's 108 outside and P5 has been flashing empty for a long time. Called our son, told him we were lost in the desert and told him to use the phone "find my friends" app. and bring some gas in our direction. He found us and told us which direction to go (our phone gps just showed us in the middle of nowhere). So we head off in that direction with the gas gauge flashing 0. Met up with son and put a gallon or so in the P5. By this time I was well overheated and got in sons car for the ride home (only a couple more miles) it was up to 111 by the time we got back (4 hrs later) I do not get along well with the sun and was feeling really weak and sort of breath until I was able to cool off.
Lessons learned. Take water even if it is around the block, Install a decent GPS in the Honda and take extra gas along. Oh and this is not our first off road vehicle, we sold two go carts and two quads so we could purchase our sxs.
Wow! Glad you made it back!! In your Avatar I see no roof....that is something you may want to look into with the heat & sun.

Reactions: Montecresto
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Wow, close call. I would look into the "Rotopax" tank system, you can carry water and fuel on a roll bar mounted gas can.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

If you would of had a etrex crumb tracker.....
that wouldn't of happened....
I hear ya...been there
look into it.....

Reactions: trigger
Suzque49

Suzque49

Jul 14, 2016
Mojave, California
Ownership

1. 500
If you would of had a etrex crumb tracker.....
that wouldn't of happened....
I hear ya...been there
look into it.....
I will have hubby check into the etrex, I believe I have heard of that before.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I will have hubby check into the teared, I believe I have heard of that before.
Good lesson. All's well that ends well. I've got a 2 gallon can in a permanent set up, and on rotation, high energy snacks, two litres of water, 8x10 tarp and a few other niceties in such an event.

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I will have hubby check into the teared, I believe I have heard of that before.
$80 on sale
sportsman's warehouse
little guy that looks like the Marios Bro
drops crumbs wear ever you drive....
I mounted to dash....
a must
20150526 074708

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
When I was first looking at the P5 and stalking this forum, I followed Jackal's build. I saw the list of accessories he put up and picked the ones I needed/wanted. When I saw the Garmin on the list I searched it and saw the price, and thought... I don't need that, I'll just follow maps or use my phone or something. Until the first ride, when I discovered that there are lots of trails in all directions that aren't on any maps. Went to Cabelas the next day and bought the Montana.
The thing that was last on my list ended up being right up there with roof and winch. It ensures that you'll always find your way back.
The Rotopax was another great idea...just in case.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
When I was first looking at the P5 and stalking this forum, I followed Jackal's build. I saw the list of accessories he put up and picked the ones I needed/wanted. When I saw the Garmin on the list I searched it and saw the price, and thought... I don't need that, I'll just follow maps or use my phone or something. Until the first ride, when I discovered that there are lots of trails in all directions that aren't on any maps. Went to Cabelas the next day and bought the Montana.
The thing that was last on my list ended up being right up there with roof and winch. It ensures that you'll always find your way back.

Yeah...I agree
I been lost...stayed over nite
Spooky feeling...I had snacks
...drinks..fire.
but it got dark & I was screwed
Was not familiar with area

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Fortunate you had cell service! I have a couple Garmins I don't use anymore. Now use my iPad mini 3 there are several different mapping apps you can use without cell (data) service. Meaning if you have no cell, data, Internet the gps and maps will continue to work. Just keep maps loaded on it for when you need them, will show you live time where you are on the map, distance directions etc. I have used one called Maps.me (primarily used this initially on Oahu Hi for vacation) and it is free, just download the area you are interested in, awesome app. Also use an app called Pdf maps for when you have georeferenced map sets. Combine that with a blue tooth antenna called a skypro really improves accuracy when in timber or around tall buildings. I'm sure Garmin and others will have map bases you can buy. I don't use my Garmins anymore, have my iPad mini in a Lifeproof case (water and dust proof), pack along a charger for the cig liter and an antigravity battery pack. iPad is so handy, pictures are geo-referenced, shoot movies, compass, altimeter, can message, email etc, etc I like the larger screen then my iPhone but it's a wicked tool as well. Can also get a paid for service on the spot personal locating network to work with your iPhone/iPad (I think), I pack the spot personal locator (findmeSpot.com) for work as an emergency checkin.

Also have nuther app that I use on my iPhone and iPad called Hunt Buddy and here in Canada it has active real time mapping without cell service. It has all your hunting regulations, maps, you can store hunting locations, trails etc great app. When I hunt on foot I still pack an old school compass, my iPhone, plus a bunch of gear.

Glad you made it back and learned a valuable lesson about being prepared.

Just checked online and pdf maps by Avenza has a ton of free and pay for georeferenced maps this is an awesome mapping tool.

Cheers,

j

Last edited:
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Another great feature on the GPS's is you can upload your tracks on Google Earth and or your computer TOPO maps and see where you rode.

Reactions: Stacy and JCart
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad to hear you are safe. That could get real bad real quick. Welcome!

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Fortunate you had cell service! I have a couple Garmins I don't use anymore. Now use my iPad mini 3 there are several different mapping apps you can use without cell (data) service. Meaning if you have no cell, data, Internet the gps and maps will continue to work. Just keep maps loaded on it for when you need them, will show you live time where you are on the map, distance directions etc. I have used one called Maps.me (primarily used this initially on Oahu Hi for vacation) and it is free, just download the area you are interested in, awesome app. Also use an app called Pdf maps for when you have georeferenced map sets. Combine that with a blue tooth antenna called a skypro really improves accuracy when in timber or around tall buildings. I'm sure Garmin and others will have map bases you can buy. I don't use my Garmins anymore, have my iPad mini in a Lifeproof case (water and dust proof), pack along a charger for the cig liter and an antigravity battery pack. iPad is so handy, pictures are geo-referenced, shoot movies, compass, altimeter, can message, email etc, etc I like the larger screen then my iPhone but it's a wicked tool as well. Can also get a paid for service on the spot personal locating network to work with your iPhone/iPad (I think), I pack the spot personal locator (findmeSpot.com) for work as an emergency checkin.

Also have nuther app that I use on my iPhone and iPad called Hunt Buddy and here in Canada it has active real time mapping without cell service. It has all your hunting regulations, maps, you can store hunting locations, trails etc great app. When I hunt on foot I still pack an old school compass, my iPhone, plus a bunch of gear.

Glad you made it back and learned a valuable lesson about being prepared.

Just checked online and pdf maps by Avenza has a ton of free and pay for georeferenced maps this is an awesome mapping tool.

Cheers,

j

Does that mount to dash?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Does that mount to dash?
My LifeForce case is just a very thin waterproof/dust proof case and is very robust for what it is... Not bulky and has withstood some drops, rain, dust and dirt, think outside in the forest working. The only downside is charging opens a teeny door for charge port access, so you have to careful if you need to charge in the field. I have a soft cooler bag I charge it in by just running the charge wire from cig liter port.

I do not have a dash mount but there are a number of holders that will. The Blue tooth GPS antenna doesn't either, when I need accuracy typically duct tape it inside my hard hat heh heh.... It's water resistant so you could duct tape/Velcro to roof, I store it inside a Tupperware water proof container, its pretty small guessing 3" x 3" x 2" improves accuracy significantly.

j

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!