P500 Newby "adventure", lessons learned.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
My LifeForce case is just a very thin waterproof/dust proof case and is very robust for what it is... Not bulky and has withstood some drops, rain, dust and dirt, think outside in the forest working. The only downside is charging opens a teeny door for charge port access, so you have to careful if you need to charge in the field. I have a soft cooler bag I charge it in by just running the charge wire from cig liter port.

I do not have a dash mount but there are a number of holders that will. The Blue tooth GPS antenna doesn't either, when I need accuracy typically duct tape it inside my hard hat heh heh.... It's water resistant so you could duct tape/Velcro to roof, I store it inside a Tupperware water proof container, its pretty small guessing 3" x 3" x 2" improves accuracy significantly.

j
Yeah..I like the dash mount
Used other ways for GPS but
holding it...digging it out
...ect..
thanks

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The Garmin Montana is a little pricey but it's waterproof. Sits in a lockable mount that is hard wired.
Bigger screen helps too. Bought a map pack for mine that gives you 1:24 scale which makes it more detailed.
Shows trails, roads, gas stations, restaurants...
Teaching my copilot/navigator how to use it has been the hard part. :oops:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The Garmin Montana is a little pricey but it's waterproof. Sits in a lockable mount that is hard wired.
Bigger screen helps too. Bought a map pack for mine that gives you 1:24 scale which makes it more detailed.
Now that's funny dude. So where do you have it on your P5?

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Restaurant. ...gas stations
we go riding away from all that
stuff...your sounds like the Garmin in my truck
mines just to make it back to camp...
if on a un familiar ride

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wow... I have done the same thing so many times. Just a short ride, we will be right back.

I'm often not prepared for a 30 mile run when I only plan to go 10.

Reactions: Suzque49
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
If I'm riding a new place
I get maps from the forest
service...free

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
If I'm riding a new place
I get maps from the forest
service...free
Like I said, a ton of trails that aren't on a map. A lot of the trails are better than the ones marked on that map.
As for gas stations and such being marked, this isn't like the one in your truck. Shows all of that and fire lanes and trails. Much more info than the ones in your vehicle. If running low on fuel, I want to know where the nearest gas station is. Inclement weather, jump on a county road and haul ass back.
I have it mounted right below the speedo so either one of us can access it. Can mark way points along the way like water holes, rally points and scenic areas so you can easily find them again. You can also plan a trip on your computer using Basecamp and load it into yours and others GPS's.
I have a Garmin in every vehicle I own and this one blows all of them away. Pricey but bad ass!

advertisement
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Where I ride
no cell service
Cell service isnt needed for motionx gps but it starts quicker if you start your track when you do as it uses cell towers to triangulate your location so it knows which of the 30 satellites it needs to connect to . It will find them without but it just takes longer .

J

Jshell3

I like "onX Hunt". Gives you all that, plus the Private Land Owner's info. (No matter how small... GREAT For REAL ESTATE Purchases)

$29 a year. But it's a DO ALL. Boundaries, map overlays, several different map types (TOPO Aerial) trails, public lands, GPS, Weather... Measure specific distances, elevations, coordinates... You can draw on it.
Prob lots more I don't know about. Downloadable Maps. Very nice. Based out of MT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Like I said, a ton of trails that aren't on a map. A lot of the trails are better than the ones marked on that map.
As for gas stations and such being marked, this isn't like the one in your truck. Shows all of that and fire lanes and trails. Much more info than the ones in your vehicle. If running low on fuel, I want to know where the nearest gas station is. Inclement weather, jump on a county road and haul ass back.
I have it mounted right below the speedo so either one of us can access it. Can mark way points along the way like water holes, rally points and scenic areas so you can easily find them again. You can also plan a trip on your computer using Basecamp and load it into yours and others GPS's.
I have a Garmin in every vehicle I own and this one blows all of them away. Pricey but bad ass!
Mine has way point
mine in my truck came
with truck...top of line
in "15" GMC
trails we ride only on forest service map

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Cell service isnt needed for motionx gps but it starts quicker if you start your track when you do as it uses cell towers to triangulate your location so it knows which of the 30 satellites it needs to connect to . It will find them without but it just takes longer .
When I'm camping / riding
no cell or cell off

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Wasn't dogging ya
where we ride it's bare...
There's no civilization
for 40 miles....desert
Different terrain totally
I don't use the Garmin
if I'm riding a familiar place
Forest service maps are
free...& are easy to get
here....

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sounds great trigger. I believe I should have one. The forest service maps are inadequate as well because most of the riding I do is on old logging trails, incidental fire breaks and trails bushwhacked by previous riders, none of which appear on the NFS maps.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I like "onX Hunt". Gives you all that, plus the Private Land Owner's info. (No matter how small... GREAT For REAL ESTATE Purchases)

$29 a year. But it's a DO ALL. Boundaries, map overlays, several different map types (TOPO Aerial) trails, public lands, GPS, Weather... Measure specific distances, elevations, coordinates... You can draw on it.
Prob lots more I don't know about. Downloadable Maps. Very nice. Based out of MT.

View attachment 19465
Over the years I have used every type of map there is from paper to digital and I find the onXHunt maps are by far the best you can get. They have an app for your phone or I use the MicroSD in my Garmin and also another for my PC. I just use Colorado but if all the other available state are as good you can't go wrong and well worth the money. The SD card is a one time cost of $99 and updates are $30 if you want them.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sun comes up in the east and sets in the west, what else does one need to know, lol. :)

Reactions: JCart and Jshell3
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!