P500 Newby "adventure", lessons learned.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Over the years I have used every type of map there is from paper to digital and I find the onXHunt maps are by far the best you can get. They have an app for your phone or I use the MicroSD in my Garmin and also another for my PC. I just use Colorado but if all the other available state are as good you can't go wrong and well worth the money. The SD card is a one time cost of $99 and updates are $30 if you want them.
I wanted the onXHunt when I bought the GPS. They had them on the shelf for every other state but mine. The 1:100 TOPO was preloaded on the one I got. Then found a place with all the trails in 1:24 scale...$59 for the SD card. Well worth it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I wanted the onXHunt when I bought the GPS. They had them on the shelf for every other state but mine. The 1:100 TOPO was preloaded on the one I got. Then found a place with all the trails in 1:24 scale...$59 for the SD card. Well worth it.
So which one would you suggest is best then, the one you got or the XHunt??

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
So which one would you suggest is best then, the one you got or the XHunt??
The one that I have is for Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Three states for $59 and pretty detailed. Updates are free for the first year.
I've heard really good things about the onXHunt though. If you were hunting I would think it would be better as it has private and state lands mapped out. Even the property owners name and phone number in some cases. For trail riding, I'm happy with mine. Found it online, read reviews, turns out that the guy that put it together and sells it lives about 15 miles north of me. He actually rides these trails first hand and maps out all of the intersecting trails and relevant info. Called for some tech specifics and he answered the phone with ' Hello ', not a business name. Just a guy in his basement. Gave me a good vibe...earned my business.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The one that I have is for Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Three states for $59 and pretty detailed. Updates are free for the first year.
I've heard really good things about the onXHunt though. If you were hunting I would think it would be better as it has private and state lands mapped out. Even the property owners name and phone number in some cases. For trail riding, I'm happy with mine. Found it online, read reviews, turns out that the guy that put it together and sells it lives about 15 miles north of me. He actually rides these trails first hand and maps out all of the intersecting trails and relevant info. Called for some tech specifics and he answered the phone with ' Hello ', not a business name. Just a guy in his basement. Gave me a good vibe...earned my business.
I agree, I like that (including the basement thing, we'd say garage down here lol) I wonder if he has it for Arkansas and Oklahoma? I suppose you could give me his number and I could ring him up in his basement.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I agree, I like that (including the basement thing, we'd say garage down here lol) I wonder if he has it for Arkansas and Oklahoma? I suppose you could give me his number and I could ring him up in his basement.
He may have been in his garage...
VVmapping.com Jeremy Valley 989-751-6863

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just ordered the Appalachian maps for my Zumo 665 from VVmapping... I've also been looking at Garmin's Topo map offering for the Southeast and thinking about getting it as well. Does anyone have experience with the Garmin offering?

Reactions: trigger
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Just ordered the Appalachian maps for my Zumo 665 from VVmapping... I've also been looking at Garmin's Topo map offering for the Southeast and thinking about getting it as well. Does anyone have experience with the Garmin offering?
Take a look at OnXMaps, they offer by state showing public, private, state trust and forest lands as well as the land owner name. I have used every digital map available over the years and as far as I am concerned OnXMaps on hands down the best.

Reactions: Jshell3 and Manwell
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Take a look at OnXMaps, they offer by state showing public, private, state trust and forest lands as well as the land owner name. I have used every digital map available over the years and as far as I am concerned OnXMaps on hands down the best.
With a quick look at their web site I didn't see anything for the southeast, that is where I will be doing 99% of my riding. I will contact them and see if I'm looking at their offering wrong.

advertisement
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
With a quick look at their web site I didn't see anything for the southeast, that is where I will be doing 99% of my riding. I will contact them and see if I'm looking at their offering wrong.
when you say southeast Manwell, what state(s) are you wanting?

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
AL, GA, TN, SC, NC, VA...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think those state are available, the only drawback for you is each state cost $100 and you are covering a lot of states. Maybe just get one for the sate you will do the most riding and see how you like it. I just returned from elk and deer hunting in northwest Colorado where there are pockets of public land surrounded by private land as well as state trust lands in GMU 2,3 and 301 that cover miles and miles and it would be impossible to hunt without these. We even found BLM land that was posted no trespassing by a near by land owner which is illegal in Colorado and with OnXMaps showing land owner names we filed a complaint with the BLM and CPW.

Reactions: Manwell
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think those state are available, the only drawback for you is each state cost $100 and you are covering a lot of states. Maybe just get one for the sate you will do the most riding and see how you like it. I just returned from elk and deer hunting in northwest Colorado where there are pockets of public land surrounded by private land as well as state trust lands in GMU 2,3 and 301 that cover miles and miles and it would be impossible to hunt without these. We even found BLM land that was posted no trespassing by a near by land owner which is illegal in Colorado and with OnXMaps showing land owner names we filed a complaint with the BLM and CPW.
I need to take more than just a quick look at their website... Thanks for the detailed response, it really is appreciated. I honestly don't mind paying more, if there is real value associated with the treasure! I will look closely and make some decision. Thanks again for the input, this maping system wasn't even under consideration until you brought it to my attention!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Wow, that's crazy. Glad yo filed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!