P500 No oil!!

Ross1147

Ross1147

Jun 27, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
So I really did it this week. My buddy from Michigan came down for the week and we spent it hog hunting up in Alabama. Well, on the first day we got to camp we took off in the pioneer to go check the cameras. I had recently just made a dog box for the pioneer so I was a little heavier than I'm use too with 2 people and two dogs. While crossing a creek I've crossed hundreds of times I bottomed out a little hard on a rock. I should have checked...
About 2 miles later while climbing up a hill I went to down shift to second and that's when the engine let out this awful squeal and stalled out. At that point in time I knew exactly what had happen. I jumped under it and saw oil all over the skid plate. Crap... When walking back to camp we saw where the oil had started. About a mile after the creek a steady line of oil was in the road. The oil stopped about a mile from where the pioneer died. So I ran her that far without oil.
When I made it back to the pioneer I decided to try and bump the starter to see if the engine had seized. To my surprise it turned right over and started!!! I shut it off quickly and thought a ray of hope! After taking the skid plate off there was some damage to the case at the bottom but the threads for the plug looked good? I guess it hit so hard it loosened the plug and it worked its way out?
Next day made the trip into town and got a new plug and a couple quarts of amsoil. Filled her up, got the plug nice and tight then put 100 miles on it the over the next two days. She's running like nothing ever happened!! Lucked out there! Either that's a shout out for Honda's toughness or amsoil, one of the two.

Image Image Image Image

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So I really did it this week. My buddy from Michigan came down for the week and we spent it hog hunting up in Alabama. Well, on the first day we got to camp we took off in the pioneer to go check the cameras. I had recently just made a dog box for the pioneer so I was a little heavier than I'm use too with 2 people and two dogs. While crossing a creek I've crossed hundreds of times I bottomed out a little hard on a rock. I should have checked...
About 2 miles later while climbing up a hill I went to down shift to second and that's when the engine let out this awful squeal and stalled out. At that point in time I knew exactly what had happen. I jumped under it and saw oil all over the skid plate. Crap... When walking back to camp we saw where the oil had started. About a mile after the creek a steady line of oil was in the road. The oil stopped about a mile from where the pioneer died. So I ran her that far without oil.
When I made it back to the pioneer I decided to try and bump the starter to see if the engine had seized. To my surprise it turned right over and started!!! I shut it off quickly and thought a ray of hope! After taking the skid plate off there was some damage to the case at the bottom but the threads for the plug looked good? I guess it hit so hard it loosened the plug and it worked its way out?
Next day made the trip into town and got a new plug and a couple quarts of amsoil. Filled her up, got the plug nice and tight then put 100 miles on it the over the next two days. She's running like nothing ever happened!! Lucked out there! Either that's a shout out for Honda's toughness or amsoil, one of the two.

View attachment 17995 View attachment 17996 View attachment 17997 View attachment 17998
Wow!!! I would have freaked out. Slick 50! I've hit hard like that a dozen times if once. I damn well will be doing two things, getting stronger skids and checking every time I have a hard hit between now and then.

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wow, that is an amazing story! I have heard of people are flooding them out in water and these survive. But, yours squealed to a stop and is still running good? That's amazing!

Reactions: Montecresto
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Thats crazy, these motor/trannys have been around awhile and are pretty much bulletproof.

Reactions: JACKAL
Ross1147

Ross1147

Jun 27, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I'm assuming the squeal was the clutch when I tried to shift and that caused it to stall? After running out I actually had it shut off for like 15 mins when I was checking a camera. Started up and did like a 5 pt turn, so shifting back and forth between R and L with no issues and it was bone dry by then.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Wow!!! I would have freaked out. Slick 50! I've hit hard like that a dozen times if once. I damn well will be doing two things, getting stronger skids and checking every time I have a hard hit between now and then.
If you are going to get stronger skids MC check out the SSS off Road skids. They are expensive but bullet proof and fit very nicely.

Alan

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If you are going to get stronger skids MC check out the SSS off Road skids. They are expensive but bullet proof and fit very nicely.

Alan
Thank you Alan. I looked at those immediately after reading the op. I wanted to be done with expensive mods, but this is important! Maybe trigger won't notice sense they'll be on the bottom lol. You have them right? If you do, what sign of wear so far? When I ran wires from front to back and had to unfasten that one side of the OEM skid, a couple of fasteners twisted off. That has me worried about taking it completely off.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you Alan. I looked at those immediately after reading the op. I wanted to be done with expensive mods, but this is important! Maybe trigger won't notice sense they'll be on the bottom lol. You have them right? If you do, what sign of wear so far? When I ran wires from front to back and had to unfasten that one side of the OEM skid, a couple of fasteners twisted off. That has me worried about taking it completely off.
I do have them MC and there is not a mark on them yet. I destroyed the factory skids and the SSS have been over rougher stuff and they cover the entire undercarriage so no worries about anything coming through the floor boards. It put on the skids and the A Arm Guards at the same time, that is why I took off the OEM guards that you have. If you replace the A arm guards you can then sell to someone so there may be no end to this, kind of like a Geocache Bug going around the world.

Reactions: JACKAL
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I do have them MC and there is not a mark on them yet. I destroyed the factory skids and the SSS have been over rougher stuff and they cover the entire undercarriage so no worries about anything coming through the floor boards. It put on the skids and the A Arm Guards at the same time, that is why I took off the OEM guards that you have. If you replace the A arm guards you can then sell to someone so there may be no end to this, kind of like a Geocache Bug going around the world.
Great. Around $6-700.00 right. Did you have any trouble getting the bolts out of the OEM's and do you get new bolts and washers with the new skids, or do you have to use the old ones?

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Great. Around $6-700.00 right. Did you have any trouble getting the bolts out of the OEM's and do you get new bolts and washers with the new skids, or do you have to use the old ones?
I think the full package was abut $800 or $545 for just the skid. Had no problems getting the bolts out and you do reuse them but you have to drill and tap a few more and they supply the washers and bolts plus all the bolts and washers are recessed into the skid. Notice on the picture how the skid comes up over the from and protects that metal also. You will need a heat gun to soften it so you can bend it up and bolt it plus some clamps to hold the skid in place by the outer frame member during the install and hold it in place on the front as well during the install.

Upload 2016 7 9 12 13 38

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think the full package was abut $800 or $545 for just the skid. Had no problems getting the bolts out and you do reuse them but you have to drill and tap a few more and they supply the washers and bolts plus all the bolts and washers are recessed into the skid. Notice on the picture how the skid comes up over the from and protects that metal also. You will need a heat gun to soften it so you can bend it up and bolt it plus some clamps to hold the skid in place by the outer frame member during the install and hold it in place on the front as well during the install.

View attachment 18034
Good information, thank you Alan.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Alan

agreed!! I have hit really hard with my SSS plates and so far so good. Hit so hard last time one of the bolts holding the plate on broke clean off

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm assuming the squeal was the clutch when I tried to shift and that caused it to stall? After running out I actually had it shut off for like 15 mins when I was checking a camera. Started up and did like a 5 pt turn, so shifting back and forth between R and L with no issues and it was bone dry by then.
So do you intend on replacing the OEM skid??

Ross1147

Ross1147

Jun 27, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Yes I am going to replace them once I find the money. There is a pretty good thread on here on how to make your own using UHMW. I may give that a shot to save a little. Until I get them replace I'm going to make sure I don't drive over anything!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes I am going to replace them once I find the money. There is a pretty good thread on here on how to make your own using UHMW. I may give that a shot to save a little. Until I get them replace I'm going to make sure I don't drive over anything!
Yes, solrus has a good one. I'm ordering the set from SSS, I'll ask them if they have a 'buy one get one for half off' and see if I can hook you up!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Haaa...you just couldn't resist!
And every mod is important. :D
Dude, this one doesn't count, did you read the "no oil" thread? That really bothers me, I've had so many hard hits under neath, I'm riding the Rockies and the Ouachita's, some of the stoniest mountains around. And my OEM skids are trashed already. Did I do a good job convincing you lol.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!