P700 NO POWER DURING ACCELERATION

D

Davidgaud

Sep 21, 2018
La Tuque
Ownership

1. 700-4
No power during acceleration
I bought a new Pioneer SXS700-4 in 2014 and I have a first major problem in 4 years.
I have no more power when I push the accelerator. If I go downhill, the transmissions will be able to change gears by releasing the accelerator but if I'm on a board or uphill, I have no power. The engine does not stop, it starts very well and runs very well to the idle.

I checked my air filter, my spark arrestor, replaced the sparkplug and the problem is still there.
My pioneer is at the Honda dealer in Quebec, Canada for 3 weeks and they have not yet found the trouble. the mechanic adjusted the valves. I asked to check the muffler following exchanges on your forum as there had been power loss issues but everything is OK with my muffler.

There, he is waiting for the delivery of a special tool to be able to remove the gas pump from the tank and check the gas filter. The tool does not appear to be available in Canada and will take 2 weeks for delivery.
I'm afraid the trouble is not at the gas pump or the gas filter.
Do you have any ideas because I do not have any more,
(Excuse my english, I speak french and use Google traductor to write you my problem)

Reactions: Plumber32
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like the cam shaft. A friend of mine had his cam replaced due to the same problem. The lobes on the cam wore off...

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bad camshaft should be easily diagnosed with a compression test.
If he checked and adjusted the valves, I would hope he would have found the bad cam then and there?

Reactions: joeymt33
D

Davidgaud

Sep 21, 2018
La Tuque
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like the cam shaft. A friend of mine had his cam replaced due to the same problem. The lobes on the cam wore off...
If I had a cam shaft problem, would I hear an abnormal sound to the engine? currently I have no abnormal noise, the engine runs very well!

D

Davidgaud

Sep 21, 2018
La Tuque
Ownership

1. 700-4
Bad camshaft should be easily diagnosed with a compression test.
If he checked and adjusted the valves, I would hope he would have found the bad cam then and there?
The mechanic did not do a compression test just a valve adjustment. It seems to me that he would have had a sign at that time if I had a cam shaft problem, No ?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Cam.

Fuel pressure gauge (and maybe capacity ) test tells the tech everything they need to know about the fuel pump.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just thinking outloud...
An air restriction would give you these symptoms.
Enough air to idle fine but not enough air to provide power.
You checked the exhaust and the filter. Look for anything else blocking the intake of exhaust.

Does it studder when you press the accelerator? or only lug down?

Reactions: Farmer and swsebek
D

Davidgaud

Sep 21, 2018
La Tuque
Ownership

1. 700-4
Cam.

Fuel pressure gauge (and maybe capacity ) test tells the tech everything they need to know about the fuel pump.
Is the mechanic forced to pull the pump out of the tank to do a gas pressure test?
What do you mean by Capacity test ?

Reactions: DG Rider
D

Davidgaud

Sep 21, 2018
La Tuque
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just thinking outloud...
An air restriction would give you these symptoms.
Enough air to idle fine but not enough air to provide power.
You checked the exhaust and the filter. Look for anything else blocking the intake of exhaust.

Does it studder when you press the accelerator? or only lug down?

D

Davidgaud

Sep 21, 2018
La Tuque
Ownership

1. 700-4
For info, the mecanic remove the muffler and ride the pioneer to check there is no restriction and the problem is still again.
I'm not sure I understand your question; When I press on the accelerator, there is no abnormal noise. We just feel the loss of power. The pioneer go slower but the engine does not stop.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Is the mechanic forced to pull the pump out of the tank to do a gas pressure test?
What do you mean by Capacity test ?
No. A fuel pressure gauge can be installed by disconnecting the fuel line ( it installs like a tee in the fuel line). A capacity or volume test is done by simply disconnecting the line and placing it into a container to measure the amount of fuel being pumped over a set period of time.
The latter isn't done much these days, as an experienced tech can usually tell by the speed with which the gauge rises as to how healthy the pump is.
The point being that there is no reason to "check the filter" if the pressure and volume are good.

Reactions: swsebek
D

Davidgaud

Sep 21, 2018
La Tuque
Ownership

1. 700-4
No. A fuel pressure gauge can be installed by disconnecting the fuel line ( it installs like a tee in the fuel line). A capacity or volume test is done by simply disconnecting the line and placing it into a container to measure the amount of fuel being pumped over a set period of time.
The latter isn't done much these days, as an experienced tech can usually tell by the speed with which the gauge rises as to how healthy the pump is.
The point being that there is no reason to "check the filter" if the pressure and volume are good.
Thank you for the info. I will call this morning at my dealer honda

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I wonder if it is stuck in high gear.

D

Davidgaud

Sep 21, 2018
La Tuque
Ownership

1. 700-4
My mechanic is supposed to receive on Wednesday the "T" to do the pressure test of the gas pump.
It's amazing how long it takes to get these Honda parts. It's been almost 2 weeks since the order was placed.

D

Davidgaud

Sep 21, 2018
La Tuque
Ownership

1. 700-4
I wonder if it is stuck in high gear.
No, the 3 speeds change well. It starts well in first gear except that it is long to go in second and third with the lack of power.

A

arl242

Oct 3, 2018
Tipton, MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 2016 Pioneer 700 has been acting sluggish for month or better. It has roughly 1,000 miles on it. No get up and loses speed going up hills. Last week I stopped by the shop to see if there was anything I could do before having to spend a lot of money on it. I was advised to change oil, air filter and spark plugs. I did 4 days ago, nothing changed. I took it to the shop yesterday. The shop called today stating it was 1 1/2 quarts low on oil (don't know how since I just changed it) and that my warranty would not hold since it was low on oil when they received it. They think it is a cam and are blaming it being low on oil. I run a small farm, I know the importance of oil. Honda is not standing behind their warranty. The shop is not helpful either. They will know more once they get inside it. Their estimated guess for cost of repair was $600-$1,000.

D

Davidgaud

Sep 21, 2018
La Tuque
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 2016 Pioneer 700 has been acting sluggish for month or better. It has roughly 1,000 miles on it. No get up and loses speed going up hills. Last week I stopped by the shop to see if there was anything I could do before having to spend a lot of money on it. I was advised to change oil, air filter and spark plugs. I did 4 days ago, nothing changed. I took it to the shop yesterday. The shop called today stating it was 1 1/2 quarts low on oil (don't know how since I just changed it) and that my warranty would not hold since it was low on oil when they received it. They think it is a cam and are blaming it being low on oil. I run a small farm, I know the importance of oil. Honda is not standing behind their warranty. The shop is not helpful either. They will know more once they get inside it. Their estimated guess for cost of repair was $600-$1,000.

I have many qustions:
1- Is your repair completed?
2- Did they replace the camshaft?
3- Did they respect the guarantee?
4- How much did your repair cost?

D

Davidgaud

Sep 21, 2018
La Tuque
Ownership

1. 700-4
I d'ont know what to say anymore !!!
By 2 times they have not received the right "T" to take the pressure, incredible!
They managed to turn off the gas pump and checked the gas filter that was dirty. They removed it and tried the Pioneer again and the trouble was still there.
Then they spoke again with the honda tehnique support and the guy said it was probably the cam.He should get the cam on thursday.
I am discouraged,

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Davidgaud not knowing your mechanical abilities, but I would highly suggest you purchase a service manual for your machine. Www.helminc.com prints them for Honda.
With the manual, and decent mechanical skills, you should be able to replace the cam yourself. Not a lot of tools are needed either, the only specialty tools that are not in a household toolbox are feeler gauges. They are easily acquired at CTC, Princess Auto etc.

Reactions: popeye and Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I d'ont know what to say anymore !!!
By 2 times they have not received the right "T" to take the pressure, incredible!
They managed to turn off the gas pump and checked the gas filter that was dirty. They removed it and tried the Pioneer again and the trouble was still there.
Then they spoke again with the honda tehnique support and the guy said it was probably the cam.He should get the cam on thursday.
I am discouraged,
Just glancing at the fittings, it looked like garden-variety QD auto stuff available at any tool source, but maybe that's not the case.

I also don't like "probably the cam". Would your shop really tear down an engine based on "probably"? Someone needs to do a compression test or simply watch the valves while cranking the engine before they start throwing parts at it.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!