P1000 No start

S

shsmith

Nov 25, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a 2018 1000-5 that will crank but rarely start.
Originally started off sounding like it was only running on one cylinder at idle. When accelerating it'd have a slight shutter when taking off but ran good otherwise. Put a clutch in it and solved the shutter but when taking it for a <1 mile cruise, it died and would not start back. Did back it back to the garage with a little starting fluid but it died when i quit spraying any.
Now it will act like it wants to hit or on rare occasion start, but immediately dies. This is whether it is sprayed with starting fluid or not.

What I've done so far:
Replaced fuel pump with another good used unit.
Adjusted valves(2 were out of spec)
Replaced injector harness
Replaced plugs
Verified spark and fuel spraying

S

shsmith

Nov 25, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It seems now that it mainly wants to just backfire out of the throttle body. Did verify cam timing and it is spot on.

Reactions: Lady01
S

shsmith

Nov 25, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1200ish miles. Havent fully checked compression to get an exact number, but it feels right when turning by hand.

Reactions: Smitty335
S

shsmith

Nov 25, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got it to fire up somehow. Compression is 130 & 135 cold. Front cylinder is cold so there is the miss somewhat. Possibly injector or other prospect?

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would bet on this first before anything.
This is a very common failure.
You can try jiggling the wires going at the to going to the injector while cranking (wear insulated gloves though) but if it's broken completely you notice the difference.

You could also have a fuel pump problem...pump or wiring.

S

shsmith

Nov 25, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Injector wires are new and pump is one from another running unit i had onhand

Reactions: TripleB
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No codes being flashed I assume? Have you tried something as simple as new spark plugs?

advertisement
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got it to fire up somehow. Compression is 130 & 135 cold. Front cylinder is cold so there is the miss somewhat. Possibly injector or other prospect?
With only 1200 miles I’d be surprised if compression was an issue. Next thing I’d check would be the injectors. Any chance water got into the fuel tank? Because of the breather design it used to be easy to get water into the tank while washing the machine or even if it was left out in the rain.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!