P700 Noise

Conner

Conner

Jan 2, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 2018 p2 700 deluxe.
Have a sheet metal rattling noise at about 35 mph all the way to top end .
I can't find anything loose. Sound like right behind seat . Dump bed it tight and it don't do it in neutral revving it up .
Any ideas welcome.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have a 2018 p2 700 deluxe.
Have a sheet metal rattling noise at about 35 mph all the way to top end .
I can't find anything loose. Sound like right behind seat . Dump bed it tight and it don't do it in neutral revving it up .
Any ideas welcome.
Didn’t have anything like that on our 700 and haven’t personally heard anything speed related like that but I could suggest tailgate and exhaust shielding

Reactions: Plumber32
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sounds like a shield but don't find anything loose. Tailgate latches tight .
The speed related is what I don’t get. It has to be something catching air if it is would be my thinking. There are no other times it makes noise other then higher speeds? Any accessories? Anything that might be different or Help to clue the members in?

Conner

Conner

Jan 2, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks everyone for in put ! I have roof and soft back panel full windshield side mirrors that about it . Don't seem to be air doing it stops if you let off the gas . Sound very much like exhaust shield hitting something. I test road one before i bought it parking lot only seemed fine but only like 10 mph . They all can't make this noise fir sure its a honda !
Thanks for the feed back !

Reactions: CumminsPusher
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
If I remember right, the exhaust heat shield is a clam shell thing up by the head. Held on with worm drive hose clamps and then there is a u shaped shield also. Might be part of the shield is hidden from view if you don’t look carful.

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
The bar that the seat back bolts too has 2 nuts and bolts in the center section. The nut had came off of it and would rattle like hell when driving where the bolt didn't fall out. Sounded like sheet metal rattling against other metals.

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
The bar that the seat back bolts too has 2 nuts and bolts in the center section. The nut had came off of it and would rattle like hell when driving where the bolt didn't fall out. Sounded like sheet metal rattling against other metals.

Same on my P500, bolts and nuts were still there. Nuts had been captured below on the box mounting tab of the cage. Reassembled and noise is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SundayRdr
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Seat back bolts...I'd check them as @SundayRdr suggested....I would have another look at the bed also...I know I had to adjust the latching points on mine when new...

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check the clamps on exhaust I seem to remember a similar situation but can't recall which machine it was.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The exhaust heat shield clamp ends can be too close and vibrate and buzz against the clamp body. Honestly, seems like no matter what you do, they will vibrate and buzz.
Might be easiest to remove the shields temporarily and see if it goes away. I ultimately put some cut sections of header wrap material under them where they contact the pipe and kept the clamp overrun bent away a bit. The stock clamps loosen often and are s***. You will strip them, so go ahead and buy some parts store replacements.

Also, make sure a rock didn't get:
On top of the muffler shield
lodged in the center skid somewhere
in a frame tube

The engine and cradle move quite a bit on the 700, so make sure the metal center skid isn't bent up where it can touch the engine or cradle.
Some 2014's had a baffle come loose in the muffler that could sound like this.

Good luck.

Reactions: Deluxe700
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sure it's not the rear brake? That thing does some clattering
That's what I thought too. Mine used to chatter like hell. Sounded like a handful of bolts bouncing around on a metal. But I didn't do it during acceleration. It was more when I let off.
When I took my intake off and snorkeled my 700, It forgot to tighten the bed rod behind the seat and it made a metal sound.Or sometimes I will get a stick that gets caught up under and it touches the heat shield on exhaust and that makes a sheet metal sound

Reactions: jinx
jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
That's what I thought too. Mine used to chatter like hell. Sounded like a handful of bolts bouncing around on a metal. But I didn't do it during acceleration. It was more when I let off.

Good Catch. I just re read and caught where he said it seemed to stop when letting off the throttle. Ours is still newish and clatters like you describe

Reactions: swsebek
Conner

Conner

Jan 2, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks everyone for the tips !
Gave me a few things to check when i find time . Remodeling upstairs we have company coming. Everthing has to perfect you know ! Haha...

Conner

Conner

Jan 2, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
The exhaust heat shield clamp ends can be too close and vibrate and buzz against the clamp body. Honestly, seems like no matter what you do, they will vibrate and buzz.
Might be easiest to remove the shields temporarily and see if it goes away. I ultimately put some cut sections of header wrap material under them where they contact the pipe and kept the clamp overrun bent away a bit. The stock clamps loosen often and are s***. You will strip them, so go ahead and buy some parts store replacements.

Also, make sure a rock didn't get:
On top of the muffler shield
lodged in the center skid somewhere
in a frame tube

The engine and cradle move quite a bit on the 700, so make sure the metal center skid isn't bent up where it can touch the engine or cradle.
Some 2014's had a baffle come loose in the muffler that could sound like this.

Good luck.
Thanks for yout input !
Exhaust heat shield it is went through and tightened them up much better now ! They were not very loose but just a half turn helped alot .

Reactions: jinx

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!