100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone, Dan here. I'm an west-heading overland traveler addicted to soil, trees and stone. I typically run around in many of the national forests out west looking for retreat areas but always driving my 2012 F150 carrying a FWC Hawk truck camper and towing a modified 1967 military jeep trailer. I've had a Kubota RTV 900 for working on the farm in WNC for the past 5-6 years but its beat and I don't think it'd make a very good trail machine although its fairly capable. I was looking for a tow along dingy or life preserver for my backwoods driving. Not only did I want an escape pod, but I also wanted a mode of exploration beyond my truck and camper. I'd like to find some base camps from which to venture off into the wilderness which are also inaccessible to most other traffic. Speaking with a friend of mine on here @Idahoron ? He told me about this forum and about the trail limitations for wider vehicles and he mainly told me about the Honda Pioneer 500. I really wanted a way to really get into the backcountry and bring my dog, some gear and maybe a friend...I spent a whole day watching videos and reading but there is so much more I'm sure I can learn from this forum. Today I went to the nearby Honda dealership in Hendersonville NC and took both the 500 and the 1000 for a test drive. I'm looking for a machine to get me out into the hinterboonies of the west and wherever I go in the future. Please forgive me if I ask too many Noober questions. This is very new to me. Thanks.
IMG 0381

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
500 can get you anywhere. And I've your a little creative you can build an awesome box for storage and dog on back.

Reactions: sharp and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
500 can get you anywhere. And I've your a little creative you can build an awesome box for storage and dog on back.
I had one dealer today pretty much bash them but they were an independent dealer. Some of the youtube videos I watched were pretty amazing. I was definitely impressed. I could see Honda getting you on accessories though. I'd definitely build some of my own stuff to keep some of the costs down.

Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone, Dan here. I'm an west-heading overland traveler addicted to soil, trees and stone. I typically run around in many of the national forests out west looking for retreat areas but always driving my 2012 F150 carrying a FWC Hawk truck camper and towing a modified 1967 military jeep trailer. I've had a Kubota RTV 900 for working on the farm in WNC for the past 5-6 years but its beat and I don't think it'd make a very good trail machine although its fairly capable. I was looking for a tow along dingy or life preserver for my backwoods driving. Not only did I want an escape pod, but I also wanted a mode of exploration beyond my truck and camper. I'd like to find some base camps from which to venture off into the wilderness which are also inaccessible to most other traffic. Speaking with a friend of mine on here @Idahoron ? He told me about this forum and about the trail limitations for wider vehicles and he mainly told me about the Honda Pioneer 500. I really wanted a way to really get into the backcountry and bring my dog, some gear and maybe a friend...I spent a whole day watching videos and reading but there is so much more I'm sure I can learn from this forum. Today I went to the nearby Honda dealership in Hendersonville NC and took both the 500 and the 1000 for a test drive. I'm looking for a machine to get me out into the hinterboonies of the west and wherever I go in the future. Please forgive me if I ask too many Noober questions. This is very new to me. Thanks.
View attachment 41359
Welcome to the club! Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, someone on here will have the answer. Good luck

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need to check out @CptOvo's post and his YouTube channel. Here is one of his.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
I watched it last night but thanks! I like his videos and I subscribed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
J

JTW

I had a p500 and went to the 1000. There are lots of things to like about the p500 and some things that could use addressing. It's a Forman fourwheeler only bigger. It's super dependable and a neat little ride. But as for it's capabilities. It's size it's both an advantage and detriment. It's not quite as handy as a 4 wheeler and not quite as comfortable and capable as a larger machine. It's ultimately an issue of do you need a 50" machine? If not, the 1000 is better suited. If you want a super reliable, tried and true vehicle... the p500 is it. It just depends on what you're looking to do.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess I need to figure out how much of our country's national forest and BLM has trail size limitations. Another thing I do need to consider is I'm 6'9" tall and 240 lbs. Plus, I already have a landscape trailer I was gonna use to haul it around and its only 61" wide by 10' long. I'm planning to flip the Axel and put bigger rims and tires on it.
IMG 0317

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
500 is in your future

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 41359
Hey Dan, welcome! I have the P1-5, I only have 12 acres but seems like we have a hundred acres of flower beds/gardens. I have the bed liner and it's always got tools in it or debris to haul to the burn pile and I can haul my three dogs at the same time,HA! Welcome

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You can follow those big machines almost anywhere they go, but they can't say the same. I've watched them pass up miles of good trail riding because they won't fit. Small, simple, capable, reliable...as close to bullet proof as it gets.

Reactions: rocmar and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your 6'9" your not going to fit in the 500. Heck I don't think you will fit in any utility machine.
I do fit in them, more so in the 1000. I sat in both yesterday. The 500 was a bit smaller but the bench seat helped a lot. I also sat in a RZR 570 and didn't fit in it due to its floor mounted shifter banged against my knee.

Reactions: Plumber32
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
6'9" gnome:confused:yikes.With that hat you are a giant:D......trailer is smaller,you didn't mention kids, and you have trail restrictions.Try the 500,can always trade up if needed. These 500 owners REALLY love that little weird critter.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
6'9" gnome:confused:yikes.With that hat you are a giant:D......trailer is smaller,you didn't mention kids, and you have trail restrictions.Try the 500,can always trade up if needed. These 500 owners REALLY love that little weird critter.
I don't have kids, just a dog. Single guy.wish trailer was bigger.