P1000 OEM Aux Harness Max Amperage?

H

handjeremy

Jul 22, 2020
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey all,

I am wondering, what is the max amp load I can put on the OEM Accessory wiring harness at the "Light Bar" position?

I will be powering a 52" Light Bar which came with a harness that includes power and ground wires with ring terminals, 40A relay, 30A inline fuse on the power wire and cheesy push button switch. I don't have the paperwork to see what it is actually supposed to draw. Is there any fear of burning up the Accessory Harness/board?

Am I overthinking this and I should just forget about using the Accessory Harness and wire directly to my aux battery and then add a switch to the OEM switch panel to get rid of the cheesy one?

Thanks for any direction here.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If you are running the relay, and using the OEM switch to turn on the relay....
then you are only putting a few milliamps of draw on the accessory wiring harness.
Assuming you hooked the relay to the battery.

H

handjeremy

Jul 22, 2020
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you are running the relay, and using the OEM switch to turn on the relay....
then you are only putting a few milliamps of draw on the accessory wiring harness.
Assuming you hooked the relay to the battery.

I was thinking to either use the supplied harness with the relay or wire direct through the accessory harness, I hadn't considered connecting the supplied harness switch side to the OEM board and then connecting the OEM harness to the switch panel. Now that you said what you had said and I said what I had said, I can see it more clearly and agree that wiring it that way, little or no load is on the acc harness. I found the TE Connectivity 2 prong plug info in another thread and just got those on order. Thanks for listening and talking that out. I'm really not an idiot, I swear.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 52 inch light bar is 300 wats. 300/12=25 amps

Watt's law. watts/volts= amps

Ohm's law I=E/R
The Indian sees the eagle over the rabbit and vice versa.

For future use
Ohm's law
E=I/R
E is voltage
I is current
R is resistance

As described, the relay is a switch within a switch. When your switch is activated, the required current flows thru the wire from the battery and thru the relay and not your switch.

Some switches can handle over 20 amps, and if rated at 20 amps maximum, they can't handle extended run times. Ones that can are not common, so using the relay is a safe reliable alternative.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!