Official 2020 Silverton Colorado Planner

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wife and I had considered radios for a year when we took an ATV also and considered walki talki's but the batteries wouldn't last. Are these radios passive listening until keyed as my VFD handheld is? I assume it is like or is a CB radio? Ebay has them for cheap.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Wife and I had considered radios for a year when we took an ATV also and considered walki talki's but the batteries wouldn't last. Are these radios passive listening until keyed as my VFD handheld is? I assume it is like or is a CB radio? Ebay has them for cheap.

Unlike CB, which anyone can use, these radios are ham band radios in the 2-meter and 70cm bands. They require a ham license to transmit. Of course, anyone can listen - license or not, but legally, you must have at least a Technician's Class to operate on these frequencies.

Steve

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Unlike CB, which anyone can use, these radios are ham band radios in the 2-meter and 70cm bands. They require a ham license to transmit. Of course, anyone can listen - license or not, but legally, you must have at least a Technician's Class to operate on these frequencies.

Steve
The one I posted a pick of requires a ham license????? :eek::eek::eek:

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Yessir. Obviously, there are a great many people out there - especially in the off-road community - that are running them without said license. But, the law (FCC regs) stipulates that you're supposed to have one. The benefit of these radios over the common CB is, 1) substantially better range potential, due mostly to higher wattage output, and 2) clearer reception, as they are FM broadcast rather than AM (as CB is).

I say better range "potential" because, as is usual of all UHF FM broadcast, it is somewhat line-of-sight, although a bit of reflection/propagation allows for further distance communication - definitely better than CB. CB's are limited (legally) to 4 watts of output power. The radio you posted is capable of 25 watts of output power. Technically, the radio could also be programmed for use on the FRS UHF frequencies, which your common handheld Motorola type radios use (462-467MHz). Those frequencies do NOT require licensing. But, make no mistake; the radio is built and intended to be used in the 2-meter (144 MHz to 148 MHz) and 70cm (420 MHz to 450 MHz) range. Transmitting on them outside of the aforementioned FRS frequency range is forbidden without license.

Sorry for rambling. But, those are the high points.

Steve

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yessir. Obviously, there are a great many people out there - especially in the off-road community - that are running them without said license. But, the law (FCC regs) stipulates that you're supposed to have one. The benefit of these radios over the common CB is, 1) substantially better range potential, due mostly to higher wattage output, and 2) clearer reception, as they are FM broadcast rather than AM (as CB is).

I say better range "potential" because, as is usual of all UHF FM broadcast, it is somewhat line-of-sight, although a bit of propagation allows for further distance communication - definitely better than CB. CB's are limited (legally) to 4 watts of output power. The radio you posted is capable of 25 watts of output power. Technically, the radio could also be programmed for use on the FRS UHF frequencies, which your common handheld Motorola type radios use (462-467MHz). Those frequencies do NOT require licensing. But, make no mistake; the radio is built and intended to be used in the 2-meter (144 MHz to 148 MHz) and 70cm (420 MHz to 450 MHz) range. Transmitting on them outside of the aforementioned FRS frequency range is forbidden without license.

Sorry for rambling. But, those are the high points.

Steve
Thank you Steve, I appreciate the education. :cool:

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My thought also...

To save space, stellarpod; how do the rest of us great unlicensed, best communicate legally? Or does the FCC do much checking up in the mountains? What would a citation be and likelyhood? I've heard of CBr's being tagged for amplifiers (had a friend with one in his truck that could light up a 4 foot flourescent bulb on key up).
I'd go for a new CB if they would work.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
My thought also...

To save space, stellarpod; how do the rest of us great unlicensed, best communicate legally? Or does the FCC do much checking up in the mountains? What would a citation be and likelyhood? I've heard of CBr's being tagged for amplifiers (had a friend with one in his truck that could light up a 4 foot flourescent bulb on key up).
I'd go for a new CB if they would work.

Obviously, as a ham operator myself, it would be wrong for me to suggest/condone illegal usage of the equipment. However, there is a clause within FCC regulations that states that ANY piece of communication can be used by ANYBODY if it is used in an emergency where a life-threatening situation is at hand. Clearly, that does not apply to casual communications, but it does legitimize (to some degree) having the equipment on hand should such an emergency present itself.

But, seriously, using such equipment to its utmost potential means having some understanding of its abilities and limits. And this is precisely the kind of info that one gains by studying for and passing the test for the entry level ham radio license, Technician Class, which affords the user access to the very frequencies we're discussing here. (BTW - Morse code is no longer a testing requirement) Testing for these licenses are provided by ARRL-affiliated (American Radio Relay League) ham radio clubs which are available from time to time in most major cities. A simple Google search should provide plenty of opportunities.

These VHF/UHF radios gain even more range by utilizing repeater stations, which are set up and maintained mostly by local clubs. These repeaters are installed at high elevations and give even a handheld radio substantial range (30-50 miles or more in some cases). But, understanding their availability and the methods necessary to access them are just one example of why the study/licensing process is important.

QUESTION: Why does the government impress and enforce such regulations to begin with? Because without some thoughtful control we would have a disastrous mashup of frequency jams, with everyone doing their own thing and no one really being able to accomplish anything. No Wifi, no cell phones, no dependable electronic communication of any kind really. Furthermore, your other electronic devices could also be subject to interference from rogue users.

NOW... all that being said, anyone can certainly thumb their nose at the authorities and do as they please, regardless of regulations. That is a decision each person has to make for themselves. I'm a libertarian and am not inclined to try to tell people what they should/shouldn't do (within reason). But, I do think there is value in making the effort to get legal where these radios are concerned. Alternatively, one can use the Motorola-type handheld FRS radios (albeit they are limited in power and therefore range) or the age-old CB radio. I own them all.

(EDIT) - Regarding what fines/punishment might be expected? That's kind of a gray area. I know of cases where individuals have been fined $10,000 or more for continuing to broadcast unlicensed. Here is a link to the extremely vague FCC statement on such.

Unauthorized Radio Operation

Steve

Last edited:
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stellarpod; great info and that all being said, as I'm not one to mess around with big Fed, what can we do? Would CB's work as if we're in the same valley and within a mile of each other, wouldn't they work well enough?

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Stellarpod; great info and that all being said, as I'm not one to mess around with big Fed, what can we do? Would CB's work as if we're in the same valley and within a mile of each other, wouldn't they work well enough?

I used CB for years on motorcycles and rarely had a problem. But, frankly, it all depends upon getting consensus from the group, as the best radio gear in the world is worthless if no one else is utilizing the same frequencies.

Steve

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I personally grew up after CB fell out of vogue and wasn't around truckers so I've little experience with them but think they'd be the way to go. I can learn.
Attendees, give us a vote??

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I personally grew up after CB fell out of vogue and wasn't around truckers so I've little experience with them but think they'd be the way to go. I can learn.
Attendees, give us a vote??

CB is certainly the simplest, and doesn't have the barrier to entry that ham radios have. But, I know there are quite a few members here who use the ham radios, whether legal or not. I don't know how many of those who have RSVP'd fall into that category. I may go ahead and mount a small CB radio in the Talon and take my handheld 2-meter/70cm ham radio as well. But, I too would be interested in knowing what the others use/think.

Steve

Reactions: wrwtexan
orangecrate

orangecrate

Lifetime Member
Dec 3, 2017
westernslope co.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Breaker - Breaker : there will several of us using hand helds, mine is from Rugged Radio # RH - 5R - 5 watt dual band @ 85.oo.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and TimG
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We'll have to figure out handles. I'll be Rubber Duck:D.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Does any one know if Santa Rosa NM is a safe place to stay with an open trailer w/S X S ?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Does any one know if Santa Rosa NM is a safe place to stay with an open trailer w/S X S ?
Of course it is, but why are you asking???

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It's 6 hours out of Silverton and I'm going to grace you with my presence in Silverton, if you will have me? 2020, HA!
I’ll bet you it’s more than six hours. But our place is 1-1/2 hours from Santa Rosa.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's 6 hours out of Silverton and I'm going to grace you with my presence in Silverton, if you will have me? 2020, HA!
I think you'll find it to be a bit out of your way. We go to Amarillo, up to Dalhart, over to Raton and Walsenberg and follow SH 160 all the way to Durango. Works out to about 950 miles from Paris Tx. Going to Albuquerque and then up is a bit further and much more mundane driving.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!