Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So it doesn't slip up on us, and it will, how about we get some planning and details discussion going. I have several points that I think need to be covered;

Radios What kind, channels to use, antennae, CB/Shortwave (license),etc. I don't have one or any idea about them but need time to get what we will use and get it mounted.

Trail Chow We carry a small butane stove and heat canned food or make sammiches along the trail. I know of several good locations for group lunch stops.

Launch location and meet time
. Where to meet in the mornings and when. We'll have a cabin in town that could be a good place to meet and start or make a quick grocery run from before departure.

Nightly gatherings Campfire together, restaurant run, etc. As they are county roads, they are not closed after dark but I don't think other than Kendall Mountain there would be much night riding.

Other than trail attractions Old Hundred Mine tour, Mayflower Mill tour, Ouray Hot Springs Pool run (Ladies, kids, whoever), local activities; shopping, imbibing, green shops:D:rolleyes:.

Trailer to trails Imogene, Black Bear, Yankee Boy Basin that can't be ridden to from Silverton. Any interest. We have run to the top end of Yankee Boy and chickened out part way up a rainy Imogene.

Vehicle legality Colorado requires vehicle insurance and the sticker which is available in town or by mail

Feel free to add to this list as needed.
I posted the kind of radio I have earlier in the thread, though I was told it’s not legal without a license.

Seems night gatherings by the fire is a staple activity, essentially a must.

I always have trail food, enough for mama and I and one or two others.

morning meet up times are always a pita. I’ve never seen everyone on time or a ride departure less than an hour later than the set time. But ya gotta try....:D

As to trails that require trailering, that would be cool, but for those of us coming in toy haulers could be a problem.

I’ll get my Colorado sticker on line post April 1

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
  • Radio-wise: I've got both,but neither yet installed in the Talon. So, once a consensus is found I'll get the right one mounted. So far as the legalities of Baofengs and other "ham" radios - to each their own. I'm licensed, but wouldn't turn my nose up if any of you good folks were trying to hale me on one of the channels. Most of these radios are also capable of handling the GMRS frequenciess as well, but that [legally] requires a different type of license (ham license does not cover these frequencies). I'd be interested in knowing from those who already have radios in their rigs, what variety you're already using?
  • Trail Chow: We usually pack sandwiches and chips.
  • Launch location/time: I've never been there with a group (and haven't been there at all in some time). If you've got a place in mind just point me to it and let me know when to be there.
  • Nightly gatherings: We've got a condo rented in town, but look forward to fellowship around the campfire with all of you.
  • Other attractions: Guess we'll just have to play this one by ear. I suspect we'll be spending our time on the trail rather than sidebar attractions, but who knows.
  • Trailer to trails: I think we're going to have our hands full with the attractions on the Alpine loop. I doubt we'd have interest in trailering elsewhere, but to each their own.
  • Legality: Will certainly get the requisite sticker after April 1.
Steve

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As to trails that require trailering, that would be cool, but for those of us coming in toy haulers could be a problem.
Hadn't thought of that issue. May just have to stay local for what can be ridden to then. There is well more than a week's riding even then.
I posted the kind of radio I have earlier in the thread, though I was told it’s not legal without a license.
Yes, I had read through that and am probably going with a CB for myself.

Reactions: Pilgrim
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Bunch of radio discussions here. The TYT 6800 is popular with many members, link to it below. Yes supposed to have a HAM license. Mainly use FRS GMRS channels that are on all the handhelds everywhere which do well on group rides.

Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bunch of radio discussions here. The TYT 6800 is popular with many members, link to it below. Yes supposed to have a HAM license. Mainly use FRS GMRS channels that are on all the handhelds everywhere which do well on group rides.

Out of sheer curiosity, has anyone ever had a call from the FCC ? If not, I might at least consider going that route over a CB. These rides are the only time I'd ever use one.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Out of sheer curiosity, has anyone ever had a call from the FCC ? If not, I might at least consider going that route over a CB. These rides are the only time I'd ever use one.
Not that I have ever heard of. If someone was being a nusiciance the local HAM club "might" track the person down on a fox hunt and report them if identified. Pretty much the government can't even stop spam scam callers, they sure as s*** dont have time to mess with casual radio use by occasional riders.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Not that I have ever heard of. If someone was being a nusiciance the local HAM club "might" track the person down on a fox hunt and report them if identified. Pretty much the government can't even stop spam scam callers, they sure as s*** dont have time to mess with casual radio use by occasional riders.
Or, never mind! HA!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

That’s the radio that many of us have and use. I don’t know anyone that I’ve rode with using those radios with a license though I’m sure some forum members do...A group on the trail deep in the woods usually communicating within a couple miles of each other, I’m not aware of anyone experiencing any trouble.....

What is involved in obtaining a license Steve.....?

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
That’s the radio that many of us have and use. I don’t know anyone that I’ve rode with using those radios with a license though I’m sure some forum members do...A group on the trail deep in the woods usually communicating within a couple miles of each other, I’m not aware of anyone experiencing any trouble.....

What is involved in obtaining a license Steve.....?

The FCC has a written exam that is proctored by ARRL (American Radio Relay League). These tests are given every month by local ham radio clubs. There is almost certainly one available in your area and schedules are listed on ARRL websites. The test is 35 multiple-choice questions and you must answer a minimum of 26 questions correctly to pass. The questions cover basic electronic and radio theory, safety and relevant FCC regulations. There are study guides available. Anyone who is at all capable of studying for an exam should be able to pass the test after working through the study guides. Once the test is passed, validated by three witnesses (who will be there at the exam session) they forward the signed exam to the FCC and a call sign is assigned. If memory serves it can take 2-4 weeks to get your call sign. Here is a link to an ARRL website that will explain in more detail.

ARRL Technician Class Requirements

BTW - Morse code testing is no longer a requirement for ham licensing.

Steve

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The FCC has a written exam that is proctored by ARRL (American Radio Relay League). These tests are given every month by local ham radio clubs. There is almost certainly one available in your area and schedules are listed on ARRL websites. The test is 35 multiple-choice questions and you must answer a minimum of 26 questions correctly to pass. The questions cover basic electronic and radio theory, safety and relevant FCC regulations. There are study guides available. Anyone who is at all capable of studying for an exam should be able to pass the test after working through the study guides. Once the test is passed, validated by three witnesses (who will be there at the exam session) they forward the signed exam to the FCC and a call sign is assigned. If memory serves it can take 2-4 weeks to get your call sign. Here is a link to an ARRL website that will explain in more detail.

ARRL Technician Class Requirements

BTW - Morse code testing is no longer a requirement for ham licensing.

Steve
Thank you......:cool:

Reactions: stellarpod
D

DDDonkey

Question, do the RV parks mentioned above in the thread all have access to the trails systems. If I am able to come I will need to camp at one of those as I will not be able to drive my MH to the trail heads everyday. I assume so but just want to double check. Thanks for the info.

hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Question, do the RV parks mentioned above in the thread all have access to the trails systems. If I am able to come I will need to camp at one of those as I will not be able to drive my MH to the trail heads everyday. I assume so but just want to double check. Thanks for the info.
From what I understand yes you can and there is most of Silverton
you can ride into. I am camping at Silver lake in toy hauler so will have to ride
where we go to.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ohv rOUTE mAP 17

Reactions: Montecresto
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All of the RV parks have direct OHV drive out access. Notice the bottom right corner of the map, that leads to the south side of the system, CR 110 to Gladstone at top right leads to the north side but it is all a BIG loop. First trail across from Mayflower Mill is only about a mile out of town. It is all easy driving and no problem for a daily commute to the trails.

If you follow their very generous rules, Silverton is VERY ATV/OHV friendly! Us and the train are there main income drivers. We have stayed at Silver Lake, Red Mountain Inn, and a loft on Main and have no trouble whatsoever driving around town AND staying to the designated routes. All businesses are situated for easy access. Reese and Snowden streets are residential and school areas so they are closed.

We've been there enough I can answer most any questions you might have.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Colorado Trail Route Map

This is a decent map of the trail system we'll be riding on.
Lake City has finally passed a city ordinance allowing legal pass through and the state allows travel on SH 149 from Lake City to the turn off leading to Lake San Christobal for a legal loop passage for non licensed vehicles.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Last year we stayed in Lake City area. We had no problems on that section of the loop. The allowed route through town was fairly well marked. No one even looked at us as our groups were well behaved and organized.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Last year we stayed in Lake City area. We had no problems on that section of the loop. The allowed route through town was fairly well marked. No one even looked at us as our groups were well behaved and organized.
Was Smitty well behaved....🤔

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!