Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

J

JTW

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hell I didn’t really know what a cb was until today! So the radios all y’all use aren’t even cbs... A guy in the overland group I just joined said they use cb or ham radio on the trail... WTF... Another type of radio! Frs, gprs... blah blah blah... my mind is gonna blow... So I need it for my xterra. Just a plain cb radio... I think

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What about all of the FCC nonsense? If we are just using a cheaper CB or handheld unit, do we need to worry about individual licenses? It’s been years ago but we used to have cb’s in our trucks and never even thought about it.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hell I didn’t really know what a cb was until today! So the radios all y’all use aren’t even cbs... A guy in the overland group I just joined said they use cb or ham radio on the trail... WTF... Another type of radio! Frs, gprs... blah blah blah... my mind is gonna blow... So I need it for my xterra. Just a plain cb radio... I think

Ham will transmit further.
What about all of the FCC nonsense? If we are just using a cheaper CB or handheld unit, do we need to worry about individual licenses? It’s been years ago but we used to have cb’s in our trucks and never even thought about it.
Use it sparingly not to carry on a day long conversation and only the most massive of douche bags will care. If you’re going to talk on it all day go ahead and get a license.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just want to call out that these are the new edition radios that lock out the FRS and GMRS Freq - meaning they will not transmit on those freq. - unless you unlock them... see the circled instructions below - I do not know if you have to do this every time the radio is turned on or if one time works going forward

88BE14BA 58BE 4912 A34D 602B40E04758

See previous post for FRS frequency’s

J

JTW

Just want to call out that these are the new edition radios that lock out the FRS and GMRS Freq - meaning they will not transmit on those freq. - unless you unlock them... see the circled instructions below - I do not know if you have to do this every time the radio is turned on or if one time works going forward

View attachment 118995

Why would they lock them out? Wouldn’t it make more sense to allow those rather than have people transmitting outside of them?

Reactions: sharp
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why would they lock them out? Wouldn’t it make more sense to allow those rather than have people transmitting outside of them?
Let me say - I could spend the time typing the reason and all the background and you would say “that’s dumb” or “that’s Bull s***” so I’ll save us both time lol but let say it comes down to gov regulations that were put in place for reasons that are not obvious without a deeper dive into electronics.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

View attachment 118995

I wonder if that’s just done via firmware... as in, if you had an older model and updated the firmware, would it require the same unlock? If so, then maybe an older firmware would remove the lock...?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if that’s just done via firmware... as in, if you had an older model and updated the firmware, would it require the same unlock? If so, then maybe an older firmware would remove the lock...?
It could be firmware- that might be an option since you can unlock by pushing 2 buttons.

J

JTW

Let me say - I could spend the time typing the reason and all the background and you would say “that’s dumb” or “that’s Bull s***” so I’ll save us both time lol but let say it comes down to gov regulations that were put in place for reasons that are not obvious without a deeper dive into electronics.
So what exactly do you mean...

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Have the Tyt Th 8600 mounted in SxS and two Baofeng hand helds, in fact the wife has one handheld during her neighborhood walks that I monitor with the second handheld for safety.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!