Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

Jeff_Draper

Jeff_Draper

Stringbean
Lifetime Member
May 24, 2018
Fairview TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry if I missed this, but what GMRS or FRS channel, and PL Tone(privacy channel), will everyone be on? Does it matter by group?
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and sharp
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Baofeng copy? , lower price. Chirp recognizes it as a BF-F8HP, as posted on a local emergency preparedness group page. https://www.amazon.com/HESENATE-HT-...Hz-Transceiver/dp/B07G8Z1Y3M/?tag=sxsweb24-20

D73629B8 E70D 4722 A34C F06D6064978A

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is what I have found just for Your info, I just purchased the TYT Th8600 , got the program software loaded in the computer and the download from TYT But I did not use it because the Radio is unlocked now without pressing keys on startup I think that if you download the program from TYT into the radio it will lock those FRS channels then You have to take steps to unlock, TYT updated all of the downloads for th8600 in the last year , I just manually programmed channels into radio, It may be that radios manufactured after a certain date already have lockout, anyway I hope You can understand what I am trying to say here I may be wrong about all of it , I did not want to load program into radio to find out, it is easy enough to manually load channels into memory, Me and My Brother have been Hams for 25 yrs. And most radios designed for 2meter 70cm will not tx on those channels We have several icom and yaesu will not unless you modify, Special Thank You to @Ragnar406 , @Tramguage1 , @Mudder , Thanks For The Help Guys,,,,,

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This is what I have found just for Your info, I just purchased the TYT Th8600 , got the program software loaded in the computer and the download from TYT But I did not use it because the Radio is unlocked now without pressing keys on startup I think that if you download the program from TYT into the radio it will lock those FRS channels then You have to take steps to unlock, TYT updated all of the downloads for th8600 in the last year , I just manually programmed channels into radio, It may be that radios manufactured after a certain date already have lockout, anyway I hope You can understand what I am trying to say here I may be wrong about all of it , I did not want to load program into radio to find out, it is easy enough to manually load channels into memory, Me and My Brother have been Hams for 25 yrs. And most radios designed for 2meter 70cm will not tx on those channels We have several icom and yaesu will not unless you modify, Special Thank You to @Ragnar406 , @Tramguage1 , @Mudder , Thanks For The Help Guys,,,,,
Do you have your Ham radio license to operate it....:D

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you put a booster on a cb in a sxs

No...not unless you absolutely added a second battery, dual battery separator, heavy gauge cable, etc. those amps pull a lot of juice.
You'd be way better off going the short wave radio route.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If someone was to purchase and program some Beofang handheld radios. How many would be interested in purchasing them at TO?
Think I can get the radios with external speaker/mic,antenna,charger and battery. I will preprogram them , I think I can keep them in the $50 to $60 range.
Also there are cheaper versions avalable. I think the ones with LCD screens would be more useful when doing local group rides.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I’ve been looking into this for over a week now. I’ve debated it all. One minute I’m thinking that I need to take the Ham test and buy a good handheld or a head unit and the next I am really confused on all of this. I think that I’m just going to buy a good pair of the run of the mill walker talkies and then I’ll have two for later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’ve been looking into this for over a week now. I’ve debated it all. One minute I’m thinking that I need to take the Ham test and buy a good handheld or a head unit and the next I am really confused on all of this. I think that I’m just going to buy a good pair of the run of the mill walker talkies and then I’ll have two for later.

I wouldn’t mess around with walkies. Get a couple baofengs and program to the right channels.

J

JTW

Buy this and be done with it..

P1000 - Post your Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales HERE!

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I do value your input but it’s hard for me to get one of these units when all I would use it for would be for these group rides and that’s not going to happen but maybe once a year at best. I realize the bofangs are cheap and reliable but the risk of me handing one to another rider here locally that would maybe be riding with me and then not f*** it up with all of the buttons is high. And on top of that “I” don’t know how to use them. I just makes sense to me to buy a $50-$60 set of radios, communicate at the TO, then have more use for them other places.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do value your input but it’s hard for me to get one of these units when all I would use it for would be for these group rides and that’s not going to happen but maybe once a year at best. I realize the bofangs are cheap and reliable but the risk of me handing one to another rider here locally that would maybe be riding with me and then not f*** it up with all of the buttons is high. And on top of that “I” don’t know how to use them. I just makes sense to me to buy a $50-$60 set of radios, communicate at the TO, then have more use for them other places.
There were three of us that got radios here locally to begin with - with every ride we do we convert others over to getting a radio. I have a couple extra handhelds that I will sometimes loan out and sure enough the person I loan them to will go out and get a radio the following week. Handhelds are fine and work for a small group of riders , mobiles are more convenient, as you don’t have to charge batteries and the range is better as they have higher wattage.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If You order the TYT TH8600 make sure You order the TYT TH8600WP for water proof it is just a few dollars more but it has water proof plug They do have two different models,,, R&L in Hamilton OH.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!