BOX1

Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
The other problem with a hand held is charging the battery. I tend to use my radio mostly while plowing snow. I have a licence and use the local repeaters to talk with a friend who is usually out plow at the same time. The battery in a hand held just can't keep up and i got sick of bringing it in to charge every time I wanted to use it.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
So, for those that have a serious concern about legality wanted to do this and be within the law they could buy the GMRS 5 watt base/mobile (Like a Midland Micro Mobile) and get the $70 no-test license (good for 10 years and covers all immediate family members) and still be able to communicate with the others at the takeover and on the trail because they are using GMRS frequencies. FYI, I have learned that no handhelds with a removable antenna can be used legally with a GMRS frequency.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, for those that have a serious concern about legality wanted to do this and be within the law they could buy the GMRS 5 watt base/mobile (Like a Midland Micro Mobile) and get the $70 no-test license (good for 10 years and covers all immediate family members) and still be able to communicate with the others at the takeover and on the trail because they are using GMRS frequencies. FYI, I have learned that no handhelds with a removable antenna can be used legally with a GMRS frequency.
If you were going to get a certified GRMS radio I would recommend looking at MXT400 MicroMobile®Two-Way Radio | Midland Radio or MXT275 MicroMobile® Two-Way Radio | Midland USA or something similar.

Not to debate on should the rules be the rules - they are and everyone is an adult and can make their own decision as they do with the many other rules that come with regards to riding sxs's.

All that said if you are riding in a group of 7-8 machines spread out over less than a mile you will probably be fine with a handheld, a mobile or installed unit make it nice to not worry about recharging every trip and can give you a little extra power if needed... just know the radio freq these broadcast on are line of sight so if you are at the bottom of a hill in a gully your not talking to the bottom of hill in another gully. Wattage of the receiving radio plays no factor in how well or how far away you can hear another transmitting radio - Antennas however play a huge role... and like everything.... everything is a compromise with regard to antennas.

Graphic I stole from Midland radios (note the mileage is probably not real world results) but it gives you an idea of what affects transmission range
Upload 2018 10 23 9 46 46

note that in 2017 the Frequency's of FRS and GMRS changed somewhat and came into alignment so that FRS channels 1-22 match up with GRMS 1-22 (their used to be slight differences between both)

Upload 2018 10 23 9 32 21

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you were going to get a certified GRMS radio I would recommend looking at MXT400 MicroMobileTwo-Way Radio | Midland Radio or MXT275 MicroMobile Two-Way Radio | Midland USA or something similar.

Not to debate on should the rules be the rules - they are and everyone is an adult and can make their own decision as they do with the many other rules that come with regards to riding sxs's.

All that said if you are riding in a group of 7-8 machines spread out over less than a mile you will probably be fine with a handheld, a mobile or installed unit make it nice to not worry about recharging every trip and can give you a little extra power if needed... just know the radio freq these broadcast on are line of sight so if you are at the bottom of a hill in a gully your not talking to the bottom of hill in another gully. Wattage of the receiving radio plays no factor in how well or how far away you can hear another transmitting radio - Antennas however play a huge role... and like everything.... everything is a compromise with regard to antennas.

Graphic I stole from Midland radios (note the mileage is probably not real world results) but it gives you an idea of what affects transmission range
View attachment 91371

note that in 2017 the Frequency's of FRS and GMRS changed somewhat and came into alignment so that FRS channels 1-22 match up with GRMS 1-22 (their used to be slight differences between both)

View attachment 91370

Good info, good points.

If you don’t take a test or get a certification why pay $70 for license? Seems to be a revenue source for an agency nothing more.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Good info, good points.

If you don’t take a test or get a certification why pay $70 for license? Seems to be a revenue source for an agency nothing more.
Agreed. It's a tax. I am just playing devil's advocate here in case someone else is concerned about it and did not want to ask. Personally I think those cheap 888 radios for $13 each would work out well to tell someone ya gotta stop and piss.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
At least the Baofeng has a FM radio button for daily garage/yard chore use.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and sharp
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Someone was posting about sending the channels this group frequently used for upload. Could I get those to upload to mine? PM me for email.

Thanks

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Someone was posting about sending the channels this group frequently used for upload. Could I get those to upload to mine? PM me for email.

Thanks
Which radio you have? And do you have the software and programming cable?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The ones recommended on here. TYT TH8600 waterproof Dual Band 25W Mobile Radio And a Baefeng handheld. Yes I have cable to program

Thanks
If you PM me your email address I will send you the file. Then you can just upload to the TYT radio. I think the handhelds use a different software to upload.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon x4
I just ordered 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007H4VT7A/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I ordered the cable to program if someone can send me the file? I've read thru this thread a couple times trying to understand this stuff , but still feeling pretty confused.

Also do the longer antennas make a discernible difference? Reviews on amazon are mixed, with some saying the factory antenna works better.

Last edited:
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

I just ordered 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007H4VT7A/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I ordered the cable to program if someone can send me the file? I've read thru this thread a couple times trying to understand this stuff , but still feeling pretty confused.

Also do the longer antennas make a discernible difference? Reviews on amazon are mixed, with some saying the factory antenna works better.
Honestly... just go with the $100 wired in unit. You’ll be much happier.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

PM me your email and I will send you over a file with the Frequency's that get used the most.

For the antenna - yes the antenna you use will make a difference - if you are just trying to talk to your group that is all together your stock antenna will be fine. an antenna like this will make a difference if trying to go out a little longer in distance - note that these radios transmit on frequency's that are line of sight so if you are on one side of the hill and your buddy is on the other - your probably not going to hear each other.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have tried to understand this, and all I see is blah blah blah... I need an easy to use cb. That is a good one.. For a good price. Help!!!!!!!!!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have tried to understand this, and all I see is blah blah blah... I need an easy to use cb. That is a good one.. For a good price. Help!!!!!!!!!
I thought about buying a bunch of hand helds and having them pre-programmed for sale at Takeover. Just not sure I want to buy 20 and be stuck with them.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!