BOX1

Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

C

Chooglin

i finally ditched my mag mount antenna, I had mine mount in back up high and got sick of it getting beat up by branches. I have the same antenna on my truck (uhf mounted) so I know they work good so I bought a nmo mount of the same antenna (https://www.amazon.com/NR770HBNMO-Mobile-antenna-70cm-40in/dp/B00AR09XBK/?tag=sxsweb24-20) to put on the pioneer. I already had made the mount for the led cube so I just made a tab to put the nmo mount on. View attachment 90840 View attachment 90841
I like that , very nicely done.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
E7330106 7DE0 429D B35C 5EB716E34DFB
RF emissions near head? Fender mount or at least move a bit away. Depends on wattage output. Seen some 25-50 watt output units mentioned. Maybe some of the more experienced members know more, I’m new to the ham hobby.
Enter parameters - Power Density Calculator - VP9KF/Hintlink

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just punched in some numbers as an example. Maybe others can punch in more more accurate values, like I said, still new, so no warranty on results, LOL.

16DA61AC FEDB 4E4C B208 C6CBAB8B582D

Last edited:
Reactions: Chooglin and sharp
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
From a careeer in Radiation Protection/Health Physics, the ole, Time, Distance or Shielding concepts are stuck in my mind. Even for non ionizing RF, would not recommend significant wattage output next to the body of a friend. Just something to consider with antenna placement for higher wattage mobile radios.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From a careeer in Radiation Protection/Health Physics, the ole, Time, Distance or Shielding concepts are stuck in my mind. Even for non ionizing RF, would not recommend significant wattage output next to the body of a friend. Just something to consider with antenna placement for higher wattage mobile radios.

Not saying you’re wrong but TIME and maximum allowable distance may be the ticket.

If it’s short burst on rare occasion may be significantly less to worry about.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Spot on @ohanacreek , we used the ALARA concept, As Low As Reasonable Achievable, for the conditions. Hazard may not always be eliminated, but minimized if practical. You’re ready for a job in Nuclear Power, LOL.

Reactions: TimG and sharp
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I am new at this, however I am thinking about buying a group of 4 handheld Beofang radios (or the like) and setting them up all the same for my group so the first on top of the hill /spotters can talk to those still at the bottom etc..(I wonder if I could just use the same file that is being shared here?) I like the idea of the handheld over the fixed mount because the spotters are never in the drivers seat.. I am also curious if the guy at the back of the line could reach the leader in a row of 15 buggies spread out over a mile long trail in the woods using legal FRS frequencies since nobody would have a HAM license. Could you guys recommend what model I should consider? The UV-5R seems popular and is not priced too bad on Ebay, but there are others that may be better.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The handhelds a great for short distances. We have found that when we travel in large groups the handhelds just dont pack enough punch. Plus we have found that the mobile radios work much better for group to group communications in case of a major problem.
But to answer your questions the handhelds can be programmed to the same frequencies. They work fine for people in the groups for communication within the group. Just my take on the subject. I use a mixture of both handheld and mobiles in our local group rides
P.S. get the external speaker/mic.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!