Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

J

JTW

I do value your input but it’s hard for me to get one of these units when all I would use it for would be for these group rides and that’s not going to happen but maybe once a year at best. I realize the bofangs are cheap and reliable but the risk of me handing one to another rider here locally that would maybe be riding with me and then not f*** it up with all of the buttons is high. And on top of that “I” don’t know how to use them. I just makes sense to me to buy a $50-$60 set of radios, communicate at the TO, then have more use for them other places.
Just f***ing do it.... it cost like $50 more as is a much better route. I get what you’re saying but do it right the first time. Especially when it’s inexpensive items like this.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I do value your input but it’s hard for me to get one of these units when all I would use it for would be for these group rides and that’s not going to happen but maybe once a year at best. I realize the bofangs are cheap and reliable but the risk of me handing one to another rider here locally that would maybe be riding with me and then not f*** it up with all of the buttons is high. And on top of that “I” don’t know how to use them. I just makes sense to me to buy a $50-$60 set of radios, communicate at the TO, then have more use for them other places.

Both my machines have the TY-8600 wp in them. The small hand helds can be locked. When locked there are only a couple buttons that can be used. I'm not saying these are expensive at all. My 8 year old used one of these and he had no problems.
I have been studying for the energy level HAM test, but I'm the type that enjoys learning something new.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
As an ex first responder, I enjoy the THT Ty 8600 on every ride as a scanner listening to local fire/EMS. Guess it depends if your local services are on the frequency range. It has a headlight type in-line plug, so got one for movement to truck with a second magnetic antenna. Have the Baofeng hand held as a companion. Cheap peace of mind for emergency separation.
Plus, I like the look of it mounted on the ROPS overhead.

6F8A8B27 34F9 461E BA84 2BBE97223DE6 0DC7934E 1A9E 4DB9 806E 313F3515DC61

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I guess I could get one just for the emergency aspect of it alone. I am going out by myself sometimes or just me and the family. That alone should be a reason I guess. I can be a dumbass some times. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No more than they cost get both (that's what we did)!
Then you have a spare, you can listen/talk when not in the buggy and you can leave it with the folks at camp if you want to communicate with them when riding.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 168513

So if I get this, What else would I need?

Would the one that comes with it work?

For the one you are showing - it does not come with an antenna. However the antenna that @Mudder links above

I got this type antenna, just one option. They also sell an angle bracket for mounting.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDTJ2KE/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Is the same antenna that I use - other than the antenna you will need a mount (the l shaped bracket) and antenna cable (to go from radio to antenna)

Upload 2019 12 2 12 18 15

There are other options for antennas out there - for mounting the antenna I can take a pic tonight and show you where I have mine mounted or you can buy a mount that will run it off the back ROPS /don't recommend if running whips on back ROPS as it could interfere.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Yep, missed that - that should get you started on the air - just need a metal surface to attach to.
Interesting... that's the same price I paid without antenna. Does that one come with programming cable as well?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Never mind I just saw that it does from your screenshot. Hmmm...

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Let's us know when you get it
There are a few of us that have the frequencies that we all use in a file that you can upload in last than 5 minutes.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!