Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I started out with that antenna, I never could get it to an acceptable SWR on my Honda where I have mine mounted so ended up not using. I loaned it out to another rider at takeover when they least their antenna and because they had mounted on/ near roof line it was snapped off pretty quick when they went into a trail with some trees hanging over.

I have not mounted the antenna yet or even tried it, that sounds discouraging :( , when I was down at R&L I was telling Roger what I was going to do with antenna and that is what He come up with up to that point I had never seen a 2meter dual band like that one,,,

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not mounted the antenna yet or even tried it, that sounds discouraging :( , when I was down at R&L I was telling Roger what I was going to do with antenna and that is what He come up with up to that point I had never seen a 2meter dual band like that one,,,
I would still try it out, I tried mine early on and it could have been I got a faulty antenna - I seem to remember putting the meter to it and consistently getting an open connection -
If someone was sure they were only going to use the FRS and GMRS freq they could go with a UHF antenna and have a shorter profile with no ground plane needed at all.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is where and how I mounted my antenna - I have only lost one and have driven in quite a few tight trails .. I do carry an extra just in case

F0A82C44 646E 478C A7A0 5C171709898E 27EBD377 7152 4760 B7D7 79E4B1761570

J

JTW

I made a clamp/bracket for mine... after I tore one up, in the upright position, I flipped it and run it inverted now. I’ve still broken a couple. I would just get the RB3 antenna mount and carry a spare antenna. Or if you have a bumper like the TC you can run a magnetic mount. I have one, but haven’t tried it yet.

CC2EDEC6 C10A 4136 A746 1854555ADAEA

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I made a clamp/bracket for mine... after I tore one up, in the upright position, I flipped it and run it inverted now. I’ve still broken a couple. I would just get the RB3 antenna mount and carry a spare antenna. Or if you have a bumper like the TC you can run a magnetic mount. I have one, but haven’t tried it yet.

View attachment 170650
That is what I would have done - if I did not run Led Whips

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 170650

That's a nice setup, a little bit above the roof line to get some signal out but low enough it shouldn't snag on anything much.

In addition to others that have posted good option antenna's here's a few that work well if this is allowed:

https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Base-load-Magnetic-Baofeng-TALKCOOP/dp/B01MQT044S/?tag=sxsweb24-20

https://www.amazon.com/Tram-Amateur-Hi-Gain-Hi-Power-Antenna/dp/B00TY2KRE4/?tag=sxsweb24-20

https://www.amazon.com/TRAM-10280-Dual-Band-Pre-Tuned-Amateur/dp/B07BBPWM8K/?tag=sxsweb24-20

https://www.amazon.com/Tram-Amateur-Hi-Gain-Hi-Power-Antenna/dp/B00TY2KRE4/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
what kind of radios are common on these trips cause i have vhf i could strap on the bike fairly easy. i have no clue on frequencies but i do have a 102 inch whip with spring on my bike from when i used to have a cb on it. it taps red lights when i trailer under them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
what kind of radios are common on these trips cause i have vhf i could strap on the bike fairly easy. i have no clue on frequencies but i do have a 102 inch whip with spring on my bike from when i used to have a cb on it. it taps red lights when i trailer under them.

Most of the core members have the TYT- 8600. I also have a couple GT3 Baofang handhelds. I have a listing of the frequencies somewhere. I'll look for them.

Reactions: TimG
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
there is 14 at the top of this. i seen after i posted that. not really into buying a 100 dollar radio for 3 days a yr. use. although i did see some hand helds for cheap like 30 bucks for the tyt type

Reactions: Tramguage1
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Most of the core members have the TYT- 8600. I also have a couple GT3 Baofang handhelds. I have a listing of the frequencies somewhere. I'll look for them.
I replaced my Kenwood with a TYT-8600. I will be posting the Kenwood for sale with antenna. Just need the antenna cable. I'm thinking $75.

IMG 0790

advertisement
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I believe not
might have to see. not sure what the plug looks like but if it can be swapped over my antenna has been on my bike for 5 yrs and never had a problem with it breaking. on limbs over the top of the bike. but it has slapped the front bumper a few times

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!