Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could have got the water proof version for $10 more. I bought this yesterday. It is the TYT TH8600WP with antenna $125.00 and free shipping and no sales tax. TYT TH8600WPJTM2P

Ok, so I'm going to buy this, what else do I need? I know nothing, I mean nothing at all about these radios. I can install it and get it running, if the mounts are included, lol. How do I program it? What do I need for that? Just anything you think I should have, please tell me..............Thanks

Reactions: TimG and Dp5hunter
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok, so I'm going to buy this, what else do I need? I know nothing, I mean nothing at all about these radios. I can install it and get it running, if the mounts are included, lol. How do I program it? What do I need for that? Just anything you think I should have, please tell me..............Thanks
The mount that comes with the unit is designed to install on a flat surface. If you want to mount to the role bar you will need a few other parts. Heres what I used.
Screenshot 20191219 062159 Samsung Internet Screenshot 20191219 062105 Samsung Internet Screenshot 20191219 061923 Samsung Internet
I would suggest you start with a couple of the handhelds first. Then you will be able to figure out if you really need the more powerful radio. Then if you decide to upgrade to the mobile unit you will have the handhelds to communicate when your not riding with a major group.
I you have the option to purchase a programming cable please do. Which ever way you go we can help you with programming.

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV

I'm in the same boat as you ! I know nothing about these radios,this one does come with a programing cable though.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'm in the same boat as you ! I know nothing about these radios,this one does come with a programing cable though.

You can get package above if using magnetic mount. If not, they have radio without cable and mount as well. http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/p...ts_id=73365&osCsid=nbcplgvrcsu11qluu0iuloeqn0
Might want to call them direct and I am sure they can set you up with the appropriate antenna, cable and mount.

I used the following from Amazon, when I purchased. I would likely have used R and L Electronics if I had known about them.
Antenna - https://amzn.to/2WoKTq7
Antenna Wire - https://amzn.to/2KtNOX7
Mount https://amzn.to/2PBm05e

Easiest is to have someone that has programmed them program for you or send you file to upload. Also be aware, some of these radios come locked now to only use certain frequencies. A certain button combination unlocks them. I programmed two with no issues and then recently was programming one for a friend and could not get it to work until I figured out how to unlock.

I love having a good radio and encourage those who ride with me to get one. I also bring two handhelds for anyone riding with me that doesnt have one.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Did the programming cable and software come with it or how are you going to set it up with the channels you want?

I know nothing about any of this. It’s on the shelf until after the first of the year anyway. If need be I’ll get it done when I get to the TO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dp5hunter and TimG
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I know nothing about any of this. It’s on the shelf until after the first of the year anyway. If need be I’ll get it done when I get to the TO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get it mounted and if you dont get it programmed before TO. We will have a laptop and we can program it in the machine.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I got this flexible antenna at R&L Electronics in Hamilton Oh. It seems to be very durable and flexible like a rubber ducky,,,,
View attachment 170396 View attachment 170397 View attachment 170398
Update on this antenna, @Ragnar406 You where right that antenna is junk Me and my Brother worked all morning trying to get a good SWR We tried everything, We did narrow it down to the Antenna because we had some other dual band 1/4 wave and 1/2 wave antennas in the shop hooked them up to same mount and had good readings,,,, Don't Buy That one,,,,,, Thanks
IMG 20191213 191212035

MikeyXX

MikeyXX

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2019
Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Can
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, so what is the compressed version? I've read this thread but still don't understand what to pick up. Looks like UHF, but then it would need to be programmed. What frequencies are being used? Or is it FR or CB?

Reactions: farmtimpioneer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!