Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
true. something to look into. as long as the swr is right should work i guess. ill buy the radio off of you. if you still have it at take over. ill bring swr meter and we can find out together.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
This is what I bought.

IMG 3327
IMG 3328
IMG 3329

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
there is 14 at the top of this. i seen after i posted that. not really into buying a 100 dollar radio for 3 days a yr. use. although i did see some hand helds for cheap like 30 bucks for the tyt type

The CB antenna is not the correct length for the tyt radio. The cheap hand helds work great within the group rides, and short distances. We just like to be able to communicate between groups in case of emergencies.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
yeah i read up on it last night. learned quite a bit. something about these 400 mhz radios do better in 5.5/11 meter antenna/cable lengths. was looking around for antennas i could use my mount and spring with. since my spring is what makes the antenna last longer on the trail any way.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
true. something to look into. as long as the swr is right should work i guess. ill buy the radio off of you. if you still have it at take over. ill bring swr meter and we can find out together.

I would check the SWR if you have the means You can get away with a much shorter antenna than a CB antenna

Also Handheld vs Mobile / Wired

For 90% of the rides you go on the Handheld (HT) will work fine -

The benefit of the mobile over the HT is
  • Wired directly to battery so you don't have to worry about recharging overnight
  • Louder speaker - also ability to hook to an external speaker,
  • Additional power - although really not needed - your goal is to communicate with the group you are with
    • UHF Radio waves are line of sight -
      • If you are at top of a hill/ mountain low power will travel and can be heard as far as the eye can see (ok-farther than really)
      • If you are at bottom of hill - 25 Watts and 5 Watts are going to be heard at the top of that hill --- neither are going to be heard on the other side at the bottom
HT's have their place and i always carry one
  • To us when spotting or winching - so much easier to talk to a person with a radio over yelling (we have all be there).
  • Backup - mobile antenna can and do go missing
If you have a consistent group you ride with having radios will dramatically change the dynamics of the ride - I have a couple HT's i will loan out - to a rider that has not got a radio that is maybe riding with us the first time - everytime they have a radio by the next trip.

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You could have got the water proof version for $10 more. I bought this yesterday. It is the TYT TH8600WP with antenna $125.00 and free shipping and no sales tax. TYT TH8600WPJTM2P
Damn Tim you made me second guess myself. Here is the one I actually ordered and it is water proof. Lol.
So it looks like I had $130 for radio and antenna. I used my old cable for my install.

IMG 3333

IMG 3328

Reactions: Dp5hunter and TimG
advertisement
K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
After the first of the year I’ll be ordering a bunch of stuff and starting to put it all together for the TO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Can you guys that have the 8600 post a pic of how you have them mounted in the machine? Trying to decide where I want to mount it

Reactions: Dp5hunter
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!