Official 2020 Silverton Colorado Planner

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I think you'll find it to be a bit out of your way. We go to Amarillo, up to Dalhart, over to Raton and Walsenberg and follow SH 160 all the way to Durango. Works out to about 950 miles from Paris Tx. Going to Albuquerque and then up is a bit further and much more mundane driving.

You're absolutely right. It is more mundane driving the I-40 route through Albuquerque. But, if one is splitting the trip up into two days, there are certainly more hotel options on the I-40 route. And actually, the drive from Albuquerque through Cuba, Aztec and on up to Durango isn't bad in my opinion.

Steve

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That were we made reservations.
Real nice lady to talk to.
I’m still trying to make my reservation.....:rolleyes: for a month now.

This lady and her outgoing messages are really something...:D

Last edited:
hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m still trying to make my reservation.....:rolleyes: for a month now.

This lady and her outgoing messages are really something...:D
Wow figured you would have them by now.
did she ever call you back.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Wow figured you would have them by now.
did she ever call you back.
Yes, and left a message, but then I call her back and she has different outgoing messages regularly according to her personal schedule. For example, she took off a whole week for thanksgiving and her outgoing message for that was, “do not leave a message I will not return any calls, call back after 12/3”

Very odd business style. I’m sure I’ll prevail eventually.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, and left a message, but then I call her back and she has different outgoing messages regularly according to her personal schedule. For example, she took off a whole week for thanksgiving and her outgoing message for that was, “do not leave a message I will not return any calls, call back after 12/3”

Very odd business style. I’m sure I’ll prevail eventually.
No surprise. The town practically shuts down in the winter. Many owners are from Texas and go south for the winter.

Reactions: Montecresto
hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That works:):):):), suppose to have good view of the mountain
and a big space to fit the rv

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
good view of the mountain... that's a funny statement! Silverton is surrounded by them. Nowhere to look but up! Silver Lakes at the northeast end is right on the river and the last business on the road up into the trails.
Secured reservation today....:cool:
'bout time... we only have 256 days as of 12-17 by my countdown clock.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep, she told me about the Mountain View that Tex is making fun of....:D

She also said the space is 71’ which means I may be able to remain hitched....:cool:

hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
good view of the mountain... that's a funny statement! Silverton is surrounded by them. Nowhere to look but up! Silver Lakes at the northeast end is right on the river and the last business on the road up into the trails.

'bout time... we only have 256 days as of 12-17 by my countdown clock.
There is a deference from a view of the mountain and a good view :D:D
The big space is what going to be nice when your trying to park a 44 footer

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to get an idea of what this trip will be for everyone attending, who all has been to Silverton and moreover, who has rode the San Juan trail system and to what extent? Will we have mostly first timers or any with much prior working knowledge of the trails?
I'd post this question back on the first page if possible so it doesn't get lost in the pages if it were/is possible.

hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to get an idea of what this trip will be for everyone attending, who all has been to Silverton and moreover, who has rode the San Juan trail system and to what extent? Will we have mostly first timers or any with much prior working knowledge of the trails?
I'd post this question back on the first page if possible so it doesn't get lost in the pages if it were/is possible.
Have not rode the trails at Silverton. I have been there on motorcycle a few times.
But that what we have you for,THE TRAIL LEADER, seeing as you have knowledge of the trails

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’ve been to Silverton but have not rode any trails. Going to need your guide hat texan. :cool:

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have not rode the trails at Silverton. I have been there on motorcycle a few times.
But that what we have you for,THE TRAIL LEADER, seeing as you have knowledge of the trails
I’ve been to Silverton but have not rode any trails. Going to need your guide hat texan. :cool:

Works for me!:) Sarah and I have been discussing the first trail out. We're thinking up over Hurricane, a stop at Lake Como, over California and then Picayune. There is an old mill that has been partially restored to explore and then a great spot overlooking CR 2 for lunch and then on from there. This will get everyone's sea legs under them before we run Engineer:D.

If I'm going to lead, which I'm excited to do and was hoping for, the radio question will need to be resolved. I'm not really wanting to have an FCC chopper chasing me after keying up a shortwave so I'm leaning toward CB if possible:eek:.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Happy New Year! Only 241 days to go:eek:! So much time, so little to do. Scratch that, reverse it (oompa loompa...). Facebook posts show Silverton to be getting their hopefully typical snowfalls so far. See how spring goes as far as trail openings.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Happy New Year! Only 241 days to go:eek:! So much time, so little to do. Scratch that, reverse it (oompa loompa...). Fakebook posts show Silverton to be getting their hopefully typical snowfalls so far. See how spring goes as far as trail openings.
Happy New Year Tex. Let’s hope for favorable trail conditions come time to ride.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So it doesn't slip up on us, and it will, how about we get some planning and details discussion going. I have several points that I think need to be covered;

Radios What kind, channels to use, antennae, CB/Shortwave (license),etc. I don't have one or any idea about them but need time to get what we will use and get it mounted.

Trail Chow We carry a small butane stove and heat canned food or make sammiches along the trail. I know of several good locations for group lunch stops.

Launch location and meet time
. Where to meet in the mornings and when. We'll have a cabin in town that could be a good place to meet and start or make a quick grocery run from before departure.

Nightly gatherings Campfire together, restaurant run, etc. As they are county roads, they are not closed after dark but I don't think other than Kendall Mountain there would be much night riding.

Other than trail attractions Old Hundred Mine tour, Mayflower Mill tour, Ouray Hot Springs Pool run (Ladies, kids, whoever), local activities; shopping, imbibing, green shops:D:rolleyes:.

Trailer to trails Imogene, Black Bear, Yankee Boy Basin that can't be ridden to from Silverton. Any interest. We have run to the top end of Yankee Boy and chickened out part way up a rainy Imogene.

Vehicle legality Colorado requires vehicle insurance and the sticker which is available in town or by mail

Feel free to add to this list as needed.

hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So it doesn't slip up on us, and it will, how about we get some planning and details discussion going. I have several points that I think need to be covered;

Radios What kind, channels to use, antennae, CB/Shortwave (license),etc. I don't have one or any idea about them but need time to get what we will use and get it mounted.

Trail Chow We carry a small butane stove and heat canned food or make sammiches along the trail. I know of several good locations for group lunch stops.

Launch location and meet time
. Where to meet in the mornings and when. We'll have a cabin in town that could be a good place to meet and start or make a quick grocery run from before departure.

Nightly gatherings Campfire together, restaurant run, etc. As they are county roads, they are not closed after dark but I don't think other than Kendall Mountain there would be much night riding.

Other than trail attractions Old Hundred Mine tour, Mayflower Mill tour, Ouray Hot Springs Pool run (Ladies, kids, whoever), local activities; shopping, imbibing, green shops:D:rolleyes:.

Trailer to trails Imogene, Black Bear, Yankee Boy Basin that can't be ridden to from Silverton. Any interest. We have run to the top end of Yankee Boy and chickened out part way up a rainy Imogene.

Vehicle legality Colorado requires vehicle insurance and the sticker which is available in town or by mail

Feel free to add to this list as needed.

I have a CB Radio.
Have a cooler we bring a lunch. so any were on trail is fine with us.
We can have breakfast or meet up for breakfast with others somewhere then meet at your cabin what ever time others want.
Night gatherings-----??????
Other attraction----If not on trails guess have to figure that out.
Trailer to Trail Ride --- I do not have a way to trailer anywhere else.
Legality ---Hummmm --The Colorado Sticker I hear needs to be after April

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!