Official 2020 Silverton Colorado Planner

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is a map and trail list from my area trail guide which are accessible from Silverton. These will keep us busy all week and then some.
There are also several trails that are not shown on here.
Trail map
Trail names
Trails names 2

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here is a map and trail list from my area trail guide which are accessible from Silverton. These will keep us busy all week and then some.
There are also several trails that are not shown on here.
View attachment 185082View attachment 185083View attachment 185084

Can't wait! Will be installing my Factory UTV skid plate and sliders on the Talon hopefully next week in anticipation. Who knows what other goodies will get installed between now and then... ;)

Steve

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys/gals. New to the forum, and had my 2016 P1K5 about a year now. Looking at joining the group on this ride. Last summer I took a ride from outside Creede, to Silverton and back, and really enjoyed it. Went over Stoney pass and had wonderful scenery. Trying to see if my wife or other family members will join me, so I know how big a place to reserve in Silverton. We have a cabin in Pagosa Springs that I stay at each summer, so this will be close for me to attend at that time.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hey guys/gals. New to the forum, and had my 2016 P1K5 about a year now. Looking at joining the group on this ride. Last summer I took a ride from outside Creede, to Silverton and back, and really enjoyed it. Went over Stoney pass and had wonderful scenery. Trying to see if my wife or other family members will join me, so I know how big a place to reserve in Silverton. We have a cabin in Pagosa Springs that I stay at each summer, so this will be close for me to attend at that time.

Well, I'm envious of your cabin near Pagosa. Last time I went over Stoney Pass was about 35 years ago in a Nissan 4x4. Pole creek was running particularly high that year and tried to wash us downstream (but it didn't). How was it during your passage last year? Hope you can make it with us.

Steve

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We are lucky enough that our parents built a log cabin East of town when they retired in ’81. After their passing, me and my 3 sisters now have the cabin. We are all retired, so 3 of us stay there all summer (my wife still works). We are all from Texas, so Colorado in summer is wonderful.
Pole creek was about to bottom of floorboard when we crossed. Not bad. A few weeks earlier, though, a rental jeeper and his wife got swept away in crossing, and wife was washed down stream and found months later. So sad.
was a really great trail.

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My first post to this forum was from my experience with radiator overheating going over Stoney Pass. I am hoping my ‘pusher’ radiator auxiliary fan will make all the high passes with no problems this year. Anyone else going on trip have overheating problems at high altitudes?

Reactions: stellarpod
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
We are lucky enough that our parents built a log cabin East of town when they retired in ’81. After their passing, me and my 3 sisters now have the cabin. We are all retired, so 3 of us stay there all summer (my wife still works). We are all from Texas, so Colorado in summer is wonderful.
Pole creek was about to bottom of floorboard when we crossed. Not bad. A few weeks earlier, though, a rental jeeper and his wife got swept away in crossing, and wife was washed down stream and found months later. So sad.
was a really great trail.

Yes, I heard about that jeep getting swept away. On our trip (35 years ago) I was with my father-in-law who was driving a Chevy crewcab dualie truck (of all things). We got to the top of Stoney and when he tried to turn around, the steering box sheared the last bolt and it fell off the frame. Apparently the other bolts had rattled loose somewhere along the trail. He and I removed the steering box and we had to load up everyone - 8 people - in my 1984 Nissan King Cab and drive back down (including across that high, fast-running Pole Creek. Got back to 30-Mile Campground at the Rio Grande Reservoir dam at about 10:30 that night. We had everyone in the back dressed in everything we could find and then gave a trashbag to each as a final attempt to retain some heat. It was epic. The next day, Joe and I went into Creede, bought an EZ-out and removed the broken bolt and headed BACK UP the pass, installed the steering box and finally brought his truck down. Made for an awful long two days.

Steve

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I heard about that jeep getting swept away. On our trip (35 years ago) I was with my father-in-law who was driving a Chevy crewcab dualie truck (of all things). We got to the top of Stoney and when he tried to turn around, the steering box sheared the last bolt and it fell off the frame. Apparently the other bolts had rattled loose somewhere along the trail. He and I removed the steering box and we had to load up everyone - 8 people - in my 1984 Nissan King Cab and drive back down (including across that high, fast-running Pole Creek. Got back to 30-Mile Campground at the Rio Grande Reservoir dam at about 10:30 that night. We had everyone in the back dressed in everything we could find and then gave a trashbag to each as a final attempt to retain some heat. It was epic. The next day, Joe and I went into Creede, bought an EZ-out and removed the broken bolt and headed BACK UP the pass, installed the steering box and finally brought his truck down. Made for an awful long two days.

Steve
I am not sure if I want to go any where with you. You dont have good luck.🤭😳🤪

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My first post to this forum was from my experience with radiator overheating going over Stoney Pass. I am hoping my ‘pusher’ radiator auxiliary fan will make all the high passes with no problems this year. Anyone else going on trip have overheating problems at high altitudes?
We've been all over the San Juan's for 2 summers and loaded with no overheat issues, even when pulling another SxS over Cinnamon and back to Silverton. Others have had problems but so far we haven't.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I overheated on several passes last year..... just started carrying a spray bottle and now have installed the fan override switch..... bad thing about it.... it doesn’t overheat in Oklahoma.... uphills aren’t long enough....
so this year will find out if have to spray down all the time or not....
domt know if @Tramguage1 eber got to the bottom of some of the problems or not..... haven’t seen anything on it lately.....

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
We've been all over the San Juan's for 2 summers and loaded with no overheat issues, even when pulling another SxS over Cinnamon and back to Silverton. Others have had problems but so far we haven't.
Kind of strange how some are affected more than others, no real consistency, although it seems to affect LE’s more.

Reactions: Herbie
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!