P1000 Official Honda Clutch Fix Incoming

H

HondaTech

Sale rep told us a product update for 16 and 17 clutches is coming soon. Similar to cabin heat fix. There is a small orifice in the engine that spray the clutches with oil and any contamination to that orifice causes it to spray oil in a different direction then onto the clutches. Which in turn causes them to slip and burn. Im assuming itll be a bigger orifice or maybe directed more towards the clutches. More info when available.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
There may be alot of truth to the too small orifice getting contaminated it would explain why a new unit at the dealer would crap out before it is used and why some give no trouble and others are repeat offenders.
Now show me the orifice. :)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hallelujah.
More pressure, faster, and cooler is what I expect. A reconfigured valve body allowing for prevention of trash like stated. Something that will make this P1K The Best In Earth!

Lol

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sale rep told us a product update for 16 and 17 clutches is coming soon. Similar to cabin heat fix. There is a small orifice in the engine that spray the clutches with oil and any contamination to that orifice causes it to spray oil in a different direction then onto the clutches. Which in turn causes them to slip and burn. Im assuming itll be a bigger orifice or maybe directed more towards the clutches. More info when available.
Wouldn't that be the same fix as what guys have been talking about when they "chamfer the oil valves"?

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Honda is getting worried as the new 18 Ranger is about to be released. What sells Honda is reliability and since it has been poor on the Pioneer 1000 I am looking at the Ranger. A clutch and heat fix may keep me in Honda for my next bike though.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heard a slightly different scenario from a source I trust (notice we all think our source is trustworthy lol). Not arguing, just throwing this out there. Hell we all want an upgrade so who cares what it is as long as it works. Problem is oil temps. The fix is to divvy up the oil cooling responsibilities of the pumps. Time will tell what the fix actually is. I'm exactly 150 from hitting the 3k mile mark so I'm not fixing anything til it breaks.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
The way I read the first post was it was the restricted oil flow that was causing the heat, all the cooling in the world will not help for low volume.
more cooling will not help or account for the one that failed driving in and out at the dealer.

I am not picking on your source Delton but would not a failed clutch pack look the same from the lack of oil as lack of cooling?

advertisement
M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
So Is this valve internal so the machine needs to be torn apart?

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Honda dealer I talked to said that Honda was going to do some kind of new lines to help the oil cool down plus something else he wouldn't say what at this time. He did say if he were to buy a new pioneer he would go with the late 17 model or the 18 model coming out.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The way I read the first post was it was the restricted oil flow that was causing the heat, all the cooling in the world will not help for low volume.
more cooling will not help or account for the one that failed driving in and out at the dealer.

I am not picking on your source Delton but would not a failed clutch pack look the same from the lack of oil as lack of cooling?
Didnt take it that way at all. Its totally possible I'm way off. And yeah those baskets would look the same from either type failure. Like I said, I'll take being wrong all day long as long as something effective is done. That's the bottom line for all of us.

Mdtfc

Mdtfc

Mar 26, 2017
maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Funny because I called my dealer today to ask about the heat fix (they did verify and just need my mileage and hours to order for me). I also asked them about a clutch upgrade and they said they hadn't heard anything. They told me they've only had to replace clutches on 1 machine. Their answer is always "just treat it like a belt drive, put in low if you're stuck or going slow and it will be fine"

Reactions: Remington
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All of y'all can have my place in line. Cause I ain't fixing what isn't currently broke. I stopped and started numerous times on steep grades this past Saturday. They still tight.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Funny because I called my dealer today to ask about the heat fix (they did verify and just need my mileage and hours to order for me). I also asked them about a clutch upgrade and they said they hadn't heard anything. They told me they've only had to replace clutches on 1 machine. Their answer is always "just treat it like a belt drive, put in low if you're stuck or going slow and it will be fine"
I would add don't do easy starts from a dead stop to that list as well. I think that has contributed to longer clutch life.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All of y'all can have my place in line. Cause I ain't fixing what isn't currently broke. I stopped and started numerous times on steep grades this past Saturday. They still tight.
I am thinking your way - it will be interesting if this comes as a recall, a this is what we will do if your current ones fail or alongside the line of the heat convience modification.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not sure why Honda is working so hard to fix a non-existent problem with the clutches. Seems it would much be easier to keep blaming it on the driver if it's not the machine.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!