P1000 Official Honda Clutch Fix Incoming

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Honda dealer I talked to said that Honda was going to do some kind of new lines to help the oil cool down plus something else he wouldn't say what at this time. He did say if he were to buy a new pioneer he would go with the late 17 model or the 18 model coming out.

Of course he did... he wants to sell a new machine! My 16 is working fantastic. Not all of the machines are having troubles. Salesmen just want to sell... I’m always leery of those guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Clutch packs of this nature are lubricated or cooled by oil through the center of the hub by a small hole or holes so the squirt-er that we are talking about is probably a mere hole in the clutch hub not a jet bathing the outside of the clutch pack.
I did not look in the manual to verify this I am merely guessing.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Of course he did... he wants to sell a new machine! My 16 is working fantastic. Not all of the machines are having troubles. Salesmen just want to sell... I’m always leery of those guys

A good sales man that knows his product and can explain how to use it is worth there weight in pure gold!
Sadly most are high pressure liars trying to get your money like a common criminal and you know more about the product they are selling then they do.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hate to correct you, but the people on this forum may fit that description, but the majority of consumers absolutely do NOT.
Very true. I stand corrected.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
I hate to correct you, but the people on this forum may fit that description, but the majority of consumers absolutely do NOT.
Maybe many of them have better things to do than worry about their clutches. " Okay, its family night tonight and what are we going to do, yup, we are going to worry about our clutches, and if Honda has a fix for it."

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hope they correct whatever is wrong with these machines, mine hasn't had a problem but that doesn't mean it won't. Apparently not much info has trickled out because as of this am my dealer has heard nothing about any clutch fix. A couple of months ago he hadn't heard about any heat issue fix either but now has a list of machines to fix when the parts become available.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe many of them have better things to do than worry about their clutches. " Okay, its family night tonight and what are we going to do, yup, we are going to worry about our clutches, and if Honda has a fix for it."
I do have better things to do than worry about my clutches but I'm not going to share them with you. I will however talk about my clutch concerns here because this is ummmm... a Honda Pioneer 1000 club site. In fact, that's the sole purpose of this whole club is to talk about Honda SXSs.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I stopped worrying bout clutches several months ago lol. If they go out today, I'm happy with the mileage I've gotten out of them considering the use. Still, it'd be nice to know Honda had an upgrade sitting on dealer shelf when they finally do go.

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
The Honda dealer I talked to said that Honda was going to do some kind of new lines to help the oil cool down plus something else he wouldn't say what at this time. He did say if he were to buy a new pioneer he would go with the late 17 model or the 18 model coming out.

Yeah I'll bet he would. And he probably has some to sell you. Lol

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Yep, me too! But the previous fact still remains.

Reactions: 0860silverado
advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im mean my info came straight from a sales rep who got it straight from a service rep. So im digging pretty deep as well.
After 10+ years, I'm sure you've got good Intel. When the upgrade shows up (and it works), if it's totally different than anything I posted, I'll be glad to start a "Delton was as wrong as wrong can be" thread lmao. Hell y'all can tie me to ye ole whoopin post at the next Takeover. 30 lashes should do it lol.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What happened to the aftermarket clutches that a few guys on here were testing?
I know it's a totally different situation, but I can tell you after almost 20 years of dragracing......nothing performed better than Honda fiber and steel plates. And I tried them all several times. Barnett (including the Kevlar), EBC, etc. I think my best 60' time was a 1.43. That's no wheelie bars and a street tire. That's about as abusive as you're gonna get with a clutch. Anyways, to answer your question....I have no idea. Never heard any more about it.

Reactions: DRAGFOOT

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know it's a totally different situation, but I can tell you after almost 20 years of dragracing......nothing performed better than Honda fiber and steel plates. And I tried them all several times. Barnett (including the Kevlar), EBC, etc. I think my best 60' time was a 1.43. That's no wheelie bars and a street tire. That's about as abusive as you're gonna get with a clutch. Anyways, to answer your question....I have no idea. Never heard any more about it.
Agreed. When I was young my neighbor had an ATC 185. It had a wet centrifugal clutch and when his sister would ride it she would start in first gear and shift all the way up to 4th without ever getting over 10 mph, slipping that clutch the whole time. To my surprise, it never burned up.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agreed. When I was young my neighbor had an ATC 185. It had a wet centrifugal clutch and when his sister would ride it she would start in first gear and shift all the way up to 4th without ever getting over 10 mph, slipping that clutch the whole time. To my surprise, it never burned up.
The Barnett kevlars were a friggin disaster. Bike would barely pull itself back up the return road. Oil light came on halfway back to trailer so had to go pick it up. Total teardown to clean out fiber particles. Oil pickup looked like a shag carpet. They make best clutch springs on the market though.

J

JTW

Well it's not worth much... but being someone that's had an issue and in the grand scheme of things had a somewhat controlled failure. I was amazed how little time it took for the clutches to go when put into that perfect storm of a wrong situation.. I hadn't had a minutes issue and drove mine as has been advised here... up until the failure situation that is. They took less than 10 seconds and were gone... it was obvious they were slipping bad. A week later they out of know where quit to the point I can't make them slip and a week after that they start slipping again. The stopping and starting of he slipping is what gets me... I'm interested to see if the Honda fix would support and make sense of why mine went, came back and went again. If we're talking about some sort of orfice blockage then I can see the possibility.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well it's not worth much... but being someone that's had an issue and in the grand scheme of things had a somewhat controlled failure. I was amazed how little time it took for the clutches to go when put into that perfect storm of a wrong situation.. I hadn't had a minutes issue and drove mine as has been advised here... up until the failure situation that is. They took less than 10 seconds and were gone... it was obvious they were slipping bad. A week later they out of know where quit to the point I can't make them slip and a week after that they start slipping again. The stopping and starting of he slipping is what gets me... I'm interested to see if the Honda fix would support and make sense of why mine went, came back and went again. If we're talking about some sort of orfice blockage then I can see the possibility.

I read your situations. @Ragnar406 (I think) and I have tried to slip ours (accidentally mind you) and ended up killing the engine... there are other issues...

J

JTW

I read your situations. @Ragnar406 (I think) and I have tried to slip ours (accidentally mind you) and ended up killing the engine... there are other issues...

I just don't get it.. makes zero sense with my understanding of things.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yep, mine stalled out last weekend when I got into a spot where I could not hammer down to get out of. Reminded me on stalling out when I was first learning to drive my 3 speed jeep

Reactions: elkaholic
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!