P1000 Official Honda Clutch Fix Incoming

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do you think Honda will have a recall on the units they have sold to this point to fix the clutches or wait till somebody has a problem with them. My dealer said that Honda doesn't like to do the recall thing it makes them look bad. I had rather do the recall and make the clutches right instead of having unhappy customers. People buy Honda for there reliability.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do you think Honda will have a recall on the units they have sold to this point to fix the clutches or wait till somebody has a problem with them. My dealer said that Honda doesn't like to do the recall thing it makes them look bad. I had rather do the recall and make the clutches right instead of having unhappy customers. People buy Honda for there reliability.
That's why I bought mine! And that's why I sometimes feel cheated. They'll get it right and I'll learn to like my machine. But DAYUM...sometimes it's a jagged pill to swallow.

H

HondaTech

This info came out of my sales reps mouth and hes been straight up relible on everything hes said or hinted at. He wasnt sure what part(s) would need to be replaced or how far into the engine you would need to go. Ive looked at a rear cover and a clurch cover i had replaced and i cant see anything that sprays oil on the clutches. Unless its inside the valve body or trans shaft.

Recalls are mostly safety related, something that makes the unit unsafe to operate, i.e the seat belt bolt loose on P7 or the door strikers on the P1K. Whereas an update is something theyve found wrong and are willing to fix for free but arent being forced to by the nhtsa or whatever.

Im not sure what valves they are chamfering, unless its maybe the two in the valve body. But i dont think those would help keep the clutches safe. Most of the failures according to my sales rep have been towing in high range related.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This info came out of my sales reps mouth and hes been straight up relible on everything hes said or hinted at. He wasnt sure what part(s) would need to be replaced or how far into the engine you would need to go. Ive looked at a rear cover and a clurch cover i had replaced and i cant see anything that sprays oil on the clutches. Unless its inside the valve body or trans shaft.

Recalls are mostly safety related, something that makes the unit unsafe to operate, i.e the seat belt bolt loose on P7 or the door strikers on the P1K. Whereas an update is something theyve found wrong and are willing to fix for free but arent being forced to by the nhtsa or whatever.

Im not sure what valves they are chamfering, unless its maybe the two in the valve body. But i dont think those would help keep the clutches safe. Most of the failures according to my sales rep have been towing in high range related.
I'm thinking "valve" is an incorrect term that has gained traction amongst posters. I think it's more of a "port". But I dunno... I'm just imagining that there wouldn't need to be a "valve" that opens and closes, just a "port" to supply a constant supply of oil.

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm thinking "valve" is an incorrect term that has gained traction amongst posters. I think it's more of a "port". But I dunno... I'm just imagining that there wouldn't need to be a "valve" that opens and closes, just a "port" to supply a constant supply of oil.
Or an "oil passage", much like a crankshaft has to lubricate it's rod bearings. I don't know squat about this particular engine/trans/clutch, but I know machinery.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All this speculation! Can a reputable Honda tech please respond with actual credible info on how these things work!!??? We are not mindless consumers of your product. We are typically a mechanically inclined group who would be intrigued to discover, understand and marvel at the technology that is in our machines! But not many of us are willing to just start unbolting engine/tranny cases to see where the magic is.

advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All this speculation! Can a reputable Honda tech please respond with actual credible info on how these things work!!??? We are not mindless consumers of your product. We are typically a mechanically inclined group who would be intrigued to discover, understand and marvel at the technology that is in our machines! But not many of us are willing to just start unbolting engine/tranny cases to see where the magic is.
Honda doesn't operate like that. Everything is hush hush.

H

HondaTech

I dont take offense to this but ive worked for Honda for 10 years. I know a few things, lol. I just posted this as soon as i heard it, all the info i got has been laid out. My salea rep wasnt too sure about what they were replacing or doing. Ive studied th parts that i have at the shop crom previous jobs and i cant find any "squirters" as he described them nor do i recall any when replacing previous clutches.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dont take offense to this but...

"Reputable...he said"

I kind'a read it the same way Hondatech. I hope Silverado wasn't diss'n you, if so, he's out of line...if not, I would expect and apology.

I look forward to your posts. You always seem to have a more legitimate perspective on these machines rather than one more reactive and emotional as owners tend to have.

Thanks for your posts...

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah guys, no offense intended whatsoever. The speculation I was referring to was my own lol! What I meant was maybe for a Honda mechanic who has been inside one of these and know how they work (which I now know HondaTech has done). And thanks for explaining that to us HondaTech.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dont take offense to this but ive worked for Honda for 10 years. I know a few things, lol. I just posted this as soon as i heard it, all the info i got has been laid out. My salea rep wasnt too sure about what they were replacing or doing. Ive studied th parts that i have at the shop crom previous jobs and i cant find any "squirters" as he described them nor do i recall any when replacing previous clutches.
Im not dissing anyone's response at all. And I can't say this enough but I honestly dont care who's right here. Just adding to this what I know. My info comes from way beyond a dealer (way way beyond). I'm just glad they're actually doing something and hopefully restoring faith some seem to have lost in the brand.

H

HondaTech

Im not dissing anyone's response at all. And I can't say this enough but I honestly dont care who's right here. Just adding to this what I know. My info comes from way beyond a dealer (way way beyond). I'm just glad they're actually doing something and hopefully restoring faith some seem to have lost in the brand.

Im mean my info came straight from a sales rep who got it straight from a service rep. So im digging pretty deep as well.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I hate to correct you, but the people on this forum may fit that description, but the majority of consumers absolutely do NOT.

Reactions: 0860silverado
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!