P1000m3 Oil Change after Burnt Clutches

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys, I finally found someone who wants to buy my P1K-3, but he will only commit after the clutch fix is done. (he knows all about Honda's clutch problems...ughhh). My clutches are acting just as they were the day I bought it new. He says it has the shudder upon takeoff (I always thought that was just the way these machines were) and the high rev when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and from 4th to 5th. We came to the conclusion that they were damaged while the salesman was loading it on to my trailer. So my question is...after a set of clutches is toasted, is the engine oil pickup screen necessarily clogged with clutch debris? Is there a way to burn them up without clogging the pickup? From what I've read, the sure-fire way to toast clutches is to try to back up a hill. The buyer is concerned about damaging the engine due to clutch debris in the oil. I'm thinking, just try to back it up on to my trailer ramp and just let em toast and then winch the machine on to the trailer after they burn up and off to the repair shop she goes. Just wondering if I should change the oil before bringing it to the shop so they don't destroy the engine too!!! Any advice is appreciated!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, I finally found someone who wants to buy my P1K-3, but he will only commit after the clutch fix is done. (he knows all about Honda's clutch problems...ughhh). My clutches are acting just as they were the day I bought it new. He says it has the shudder upon takeoff (I always thought that was just the way these machines were) and the high rev when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and from 4th to 5th. We came to the conclusion that they were damaged while the salesman was loading it on to my trailer. So my question is...after a set of clutches is toasted, is the engine oil pickup screen necessarily clogged with clutch debris? Is there a way to burn them up without clogging the pickup? From what I've read, the sure-fire way to toast clutches is to try to back up a hill. The buyer is concerned about damaging the engine due to clutch debris in the oil. I'm thinking, just try to back it up on to my trailer ramp and just let em toast and then winch the machine on to the trailer after they burn up and off to the repair shop she goes. Just wondering if I should change the oil before bringing it to the shop so they don't destroy the engine too!!! Any advice is appreciated!

You can have the update done without all of the subterfuge. Mines already on schedule for December, has been since day it was announced (I set for that timeframe intentionally)

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The shop will fix it for you free you have to do nothing. Just bring it back in to get it fixed. They will have to contact Honda and see what you need and then they will fix it it will take time.

Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sep 9, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mines been in the shop for a week and a half. note: they called me to bring it in. At first I was told I'd have it back the next weekend. As you can see that didn't happen cause they didn't get the parts as promised. My dealership has kept me informed which has been much appreciated. My next timeline is done this week which we will see.

I'm just putting this information up to let folks know these repairs are gonna take some time to get going in an efficient manner. Be patient help is on the way.

Hawkeye

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Mines been in the shop for a week and a half. note: they called me to bring it in. At first I was told I'd have it back the next weekend. As you can see that didn't happen cause they didn't get the parts as promised. My dealership has kept me informed which has been much appreciated. My next timeline is done this week which we will see.

I'm just putting this information up to let folks know these repairs are gonna take some time to get going in an efficient manner. Be patient help is on the way.

Hawkeye
That's why I didn't bring mine in. I got the letter it says I got Intel 2020 to get it fixed. I have the Honda extended warranty. My pioneer 1000 is still working good so I'm going to wait until the clutch goes bad.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't see backing onto a trailer doing any harm at all to the clutches. I back my trailer around and the Pioneer doesn't even hiccup and I never use my ramps loading onto my trailer, also without issue. There definitely used to be a chatter in the clutch if you slipped it but the clutch update eliminates that issue. I'd get a local dealer to install the clutch update and inspect your clutches

IMG 20171029 113108047

Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sep 9, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's why I didn't bring mine in. I got the letter it says I got Intel 2020 to get it fixed. I have the Honda extended warranty. My pioneer 1000 is still working good so I'm going to wait until the clutch goes bad.

That's another way to handle it. I believe this is the way honda would prefer owners proceed. If you look at the failure rate I'd say it's between 1-9 to less than 1-5 owners so not all are gonna experience the problem. But if you do experience it nothing but down time at dealer is gonna get it fixed.

My reasoning is more preventive. I've traveled this country on two wheels tens of thousands of miles. I can tell you that broke down at the mercy of an unknown dealer or shop isn't a good feeling. My fear is that taking it out to Moab, Paiute or the HM trails it will rear its ugly head on day one and I'm SOL. Thousands of bucks spent for a nice trip and time off etc.. and a 20 minute belt change isn't gonna get me rolling. I can agree that even after doing the update guarantees nothing but I'll take the piece of mind that I did everything I could do to prevent it. So a couple of weeks now to get er done is no sweat off the brow.

IMG 2773 IMG 0242
Bear tooth pass on July 31st 2015 road was closed for half a day due to ice.

Hawkeye

Last edited:
Dgrinde

Dgrinde

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would like a lower low first and a reverse about half of what it is now. This would be highly beneficial for technical riding and utility work around the farm pulling, pushing etc. This would help reduce premature clutch failure.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R

I'm not sure I understand this post but why would anyone want to find a way to toast or burn up clutches on purpose because they want them replaced when Honda is offering a campaign for the clutch issues and worry about oil debris clogging things up and causing damage to the engine. Instead of worrying about engine failure due to clutch failure due to purposely tearing them up or finding a way which can cause other issues, just purchase a clutch for 265 dollars and have it installed when Honda has it tore apart to do the update before destroying things on purpose and have piece of mind if Honda won't replace it.

advertisement
H

HondaTech

I've done several clutches from slightly burnt to no fibers left whatsoever. I've never come across a oil pickup screen that has been clogged. I've had a few with some debris stuck to them ( mainly sealant that has fallen into the engine from assemby) but none of them clogged.

The newest procedure when doing a clurch update with clutches doesn't include a oil pan gasket. So I'm guessing Honda doesn't expect there to be much debris there either. I still remove it to clean the pan itself but they don't think its necessary I suppose.

Most of the clutch debris settles in the oil tank and the solenoid cover. They always have a layer of gunk in them when I've taken them apart.

If anybody has ridden in a 18 or had this update done, they'll attest to it being a whole different machine. No more shuddering or rough take offs. This is what the P1K should've felt like when it released.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My pump screen was plugged with sludge from the clutches but my clutches did not slip that was noticable it would just stop pulling no oil light or warning
it ended with a spun rod bearing Honda covered it and the clutch improvement does make a big difference

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm not sure I understand this post but why would anyone want to find a way to toast or burn up clutches on purpose because they want them replaced when Honda is offering a campaign for the clutch issues and worry about oil debris clogging things up and causing damage to the engine. Instead of worrying about engine failure due to clutch failure due to purposely tearing them up or finding a way which can cause other issues, just purchase a clutch for 265 dollars and have it installed when Honda has it tore apart to do the update before destroying things on purpose and have piece of mind if Honda won't replace it.
I thought of that too. I'm just worried they're gonna say "it still moves under it's own power so we're not changing your clutches...only the rest of the upgrade." The prospective buyer clearly stated that he wants new clutches because of the shudder and poor shifting. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that they put new clutches in when they do the upgrade. Thanks.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think majority of failures are due to overheating so there shouldn't be a problem with clogged pickup screen.

Dgrinde

Dgrinde

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've done several clutches from slightly burnt to no fibers left whatsoever. I've never come across a oil pickup screen that has been clogged. I've had a few with some debris stuck to them ( mainly sealant that has fallen into the engine from assemby) but none of them clogged.

The newest procedure when doing a clurch update with clutches doesn't include a oil pan gasket. So I'm guessing Honda doesn't expect there to be much debris there either. I still remove it to clean the pan itself but they don't think its necessary I suppose.

Most of the clutch debris settles in the oil tank and the solenoid cover. They always have a layer of gunk in them when I've taken them apart.

If anybody has ridden in a 18 or had this update done, they'll attest to it being a whole different machine. No more shuddering or rough take offs. This is what the P1K should've felt like when it released.
How do you think the update will work at slow speeds for those that want to do utility/pulling /dragging work or technical riding?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!